Best Ground Blind for Wind?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which brand/model would you put up if you had to sit all day in 35MPH winds at 15 degrees? Asking for a friend.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
hub blind will work fine, just stake in in good with guide ropes..

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
hub blind will work fine, just stake in in good with guide ropes..

I had an Ameristep (or whatever) get torn up overnight... it's on a very windy ridge. With stakes and guides.

- - - Updated - - -

Who makes the toughest one? Money no object.

- - - Updated - - -

(it's my friend's money)

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
buy one of each and set them all up and let us know?

No idea on what the toughest one is. I'll be moving one of mine today and seeing how the other one held up. I sort of accidentally put my broad head through that one the last time I was in it. Hopefully it didn't rip any more than it already is.

I did fix my other blind this year though. That seems to be holding up. Either cows or the wind tore it up. A little contact cement, portion of a tractor tire inner tube and some needle and a thread and it's been holding up pretty good.

BDBAB79E-FE78-41B6-A4AA-E7844A586AE2.jpg

70547ED3-5E40-4450-908A-71C58DCAB66D.jpg

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I try and stuff my blind in a bush, partially for concealment, partially for wind protection.

I did loose a blind out of a tree row a few years ago after about 3 days of 40-60 winds. I think it disappeared into the next county. I would have maybe suspected thieves, but my nice folding chair was still laying right where the blind had been.

Last edited:

Labz4me

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried to move as hub blind in a howling 40mph wind once. I don't recommend it. All was going well until I collapsed one side. The thing took off before I could blink, about 50 yards of chasing on foot I knew I wasn't catching it. It rolled across the top of the CRP for 3/4 mile, I made it to the end of the CRP on a two track trail with the pickup as it jumped the gravel road and across the stubble field. I looked like a fool chasing my rolling blind with the pickup. Finally caught it when it entered a coulee and stopped. Only a minor tear in it. Made for an eventful day!

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would try to find the one that is of the lowest profile, smallest faces, etc. Is there one that isn't box-like maybe? Haven't hunted from a ground blind in some time, just applying some physics here.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a Clam XL2000 hub style ice fishing shelter in camo for my step son last year with the thought it could do double duty as a ground blind for him in addition to obvious ice fishing use.

So far it has worked well for both. It is full thermal and quiet. Windows are removable, etc.

Not sure if it is still made though.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a Clam XL2000 hub style ice fishing shelter in camo for my step son last year with the thought it could do double duty as a ground blind for him in addition to obvious ice fishing use.

So far it has worked well for both. It is full thermal and quiet. Windows are removable, etc.

Not sure if it is still made though.

I was looking for one last fall and couldn't find it for sale anywhere.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've tried a few different blinds, the best one I have found is made by Ameristep. the material used to make the shell is almost like a denim type material. It is very durable. I acutally left my blind out all winter. When I went out to get everything set up for this year the blind was upside down and 1/2 collapsed, got it set back in place and anchored down and found no real tears and surprisingly no broken sticks or hubs. Only damage done was a couple of the stake points ripped off. that being said, I didn't have the outrigger ropes set up very well. I should also add that I had this blind somewhat concealed with some fairly large sticks to blend into the backdrop and the branches from the crooked ass tree it sits under were hanging down and could easily have punctured the top of an inferior blind.

I want to say that the one I got was the ameristep Caretaker and they are actually very reasonably priced @ $99 at scheels. Just make sure if you go with an ameristep it has the "Durashell Plus" fabric and you won't be disappointed. And make sure you stake it down damn good too. Don't be afraid to upgrade the shitty little shoelace like material they send for the outriggers to a better rope.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Friend of mine had three diffrent Ameristeps. Every time one blew away he would buy a better one. Not sure if any of the three are still in this state, but pretty sure it was because of how he would anchor it down.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy,
I was just chatting with a few friends on a group message about this about a month ago. Ameristep blinds are light duty. Any of their blinds that are $250 or under will not hold up in shit weather. Bite the bullet and get a Primos Double Bull. We got one last year, ran about $350, around November and it hasn't left the trees since. I anchored it in with some 8-10 inch railroad spikes, and the outside corners (metal outside anchors) are tied with some solid rope to a few tree bases. The blind has held up fantastic and has had some serious winds (70+) thrown at it through a few of our summer storms, and it still looks new. My ameristep on the other hand, had holes punched through it from a few of the hail storms we had. Again, double bull is only a few hundred yards away in a similar tree setup, and not a single ding on the entire thing.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really like my shadow hunters, I just put my newest one on an old snowmobile trailer and that's were it will stay. Aluminum sided and roof, insulated with wood siding inside and carpeted rodent proof floor. Very comfy and warm.
IMG_20180928_000744.jpg

The shadow hunter above you can buy at runnings. When on sale they are about 1/2 the price of a muddy or redneck

This is by far the strongest soft sided blind we have used, they are on sale. They have a tubular steel frame, very well built.
Your friend will like this. .
ghillie-hunting-blind-6_2000x.jpg ghillie frame.jpg

https://redneckblinds.com/products/soft-side-6x6-ghillie-360

http://https://redneckblinds.com/products/soft-side-6x6-ghillie-360

If you take four t posts pound them in and tie the center of each hub on your pop up to them and stake down the corners they won't go any place either. I've had a brickhouse by Ameristep up all year in the wide open prairie set up like this and it did just fine. You MUST secure all the center hubs to posts or trees and stake them down with real trapping type stakes.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79