Wyoming Antelope 2019

Parrothead

Hello, New to the site, but I see some helpful people and information here. I am planning on taking my wife to Wyoming near year (2019) so she can get her first antelope (It takes to long to draw a tag here in Oregon).
Anyways, I was wondering if anybody had some landowner contacts they would want to share with us. We are thinking about hunting out of the Gillette or Buffalo areas (units 16,17,22,23,or 24. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PAIN

Founding Member
Founding Member
in my experience, access to private land in WY is very difficult and something very few are willing to share. honestly, your best bet is to apply for units with ample public land and high drawing odds if you are just focused on harvesting any animal. there are many units that fit this bill that you can find on the WYGF website with a little research. the nice thing is the application deadline is after the spring survey, so you can have an even better idea where to apply.

dirtytough

Buy a point before the end of October so you have a better chance of drawing next year.

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hunt in the area you are looking at (SW of Gillette). There are a handful of things you should know before applying to hunt there:

1. Make sure you have a spot to hunt before applying for a tag in a unit. Public land is out there in those areas, but far less accessible on the Western portion of the state.
2. You will very unlikely get access to private property without paying a trespass fee. Maybe you'll get lucky, but nearly every person that I know or have run into in that area pays a trespass fee. You are looking at $400-600/person. BUT it can get access to a LOT of land....but it may not be on the weekend you want.
3. Either we have been very lucky....but I think it's an easy draw in that area.
4. In the general vicinity that we hunt, most of the landowners are pretty cautious on who they let in (lots of livestock scattered). The landowners that we go with only allow a couple of small groups at a time on their land, and it sounds like that's what many of the other local landowners do as well.
5. You should see lots of nice bucks, but the real trophies will be more West.
6. As far as landowner contacts....my best advice is to get out there and talk with land owners before the season. Some like visitors and some don't (just like anyplace else I guess). Gives the cautious landowners an opportunity to get to know you before lining the final details up.

Good luck!

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jtillman has some good advice. Don't pass off any of it.

I wouldn't apply in ANY of those units unless you have private land access secured. For the most part, all those units suck. They have a lot of public land, not very little ACCESSIBLE public land. You'll find that out real quick in Wyoming that there is a pile of public land that is entirely off limits because you can't legally access it. Get a preference point or 2 though and your options increase dramatically and you can get into some units with plenty of public land. Either that or pay up for the special tag. I've been doing that and have had some great hunts.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The easy to draw units are the hardest to shoot a decent buck on public land. Wait a few years and put in on the harder units to draw that have a ton of public land.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought I would get down there to hunt alot sooner, but I've got 7 goat points already. Any of you experienced fellars have recommendations for a unit? All options on the table at this point. Might be another year or two before I actually put in for the draw. And most likely never get back after that! Who wants to wait that long? I need to get my priorities in order....

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought I would get down there to hunt alot sooner, but I've got 7 goat points already. Any of you experienced fellars have recommendations for a unit? All options on the table at this point. Might be another year or two before I actually put in for the draw. And most likely never get back after that! Who wants to wait that long? I need to get my priorities in order....

You going to apply in the regular or special draw?
Have you shot many?
Looking for a monster or just a good one?

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
You going to apply in the regular or special draw?
Have you shot many?
Looking for a monster or just a good one?

I've shot a half dozen in the past including one from ND I have on the wall (75in). With the amount of points accrued i'm looking for a respectable buck but not dead set on finding a booner. My wish list consists of: Animals to look over, public land, and NOT a pile of other hunters to navigate and compete with. If the boxes above are checked any mature animal will suffice.

Is there a unit where going for the special draw is worth it? Up in the air really. Those top tier units are hard to decipher unless you have first hand experience to pull off. If there is a significant advantage to be gained by going to 10pts and special draw its not out of the question. I hear lots of rumors about the Red Desert but I've never spoken with anyone whos done it.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
ill be 100% homest. ive been hutning wyoming since prolly 04' when a college buddy from upton invited me out. been going ever since started as a fun trip has turned into an obsession with 1 BC on the wall and many many 77-78" goats shot. ive hunted yellow chip, green chip, blue chip. have done the special draw mainly.

if you buck up pay $600 for a special draw you better A) be able to tell the differnce in a 76" goat and 80" on the hoof because unless you have experince galssing thousands of goats over you will be fooled guarnteed. i have been many times B) dont expect to drive to the bluest of blue chip units and see 80" goats anround every corner. that is not the case. my old man and i went central wyoming blue chip unit special draw. he shot a solid 78" goat close to the road so perfect. i hunted another 1 1/2 days passing up fk near 80 ( that I counted) bucks in the process before i shot my 83 3/8" goat. you will see hundreds and hundreds of goats but unless toy have the patience to hold off and wait for what you want day in and day out I in all seriousness would not pay the special fee.
That's just my opinion though.
PM me for units if you so desire itll be 6 years before I go again

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Dinny. Appreciate your insight. I may bounce a few ideas off you when application season is upon us.

I agree. Judging is difficult especially in that big country. Good optics and patience are a must. It would be a 7-9 day hunt for me so I have no issues looking over some animals but I wont be disappointed with a sub 80 buck either. Just fun to get out into that country.

Thanks again.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've shot a half dozen in the past including one from ND I have on the wall (75in). With the amount of points accrued i'm looking for a respectable buck but not dead set on finding a booner. My wish list consists of: Animals to look over, public land, and NOT a pile of other hunters to navigate and compete with. If the boxes above are checked any mature animal will suffice.

Is there a unit where going for the special draw is worth it? Up in the air really. Those top tier units are hard to decipher unless you have first hand experience to pull off. If there is a significant advantage to be gained by going to 10pts and special draw its not out of the question. I hear lots of rumors about the Red Desert but I've never spoken with anyone whos done it.

With 7-8 points, you can definitely get into a very solid unit. I would do the special if I were you. Since you've shot a few, you should have a good idea on being able to field judge them and you might as well give yourself the best hunt you can. If nothing else, that will get you into a unit with more public and less hunters. Although I don't know if it's worth it waiting til you get 10 points. A lot of the upper units have half a point plus of point creep anyways and so it's tough to make up much ground. Also, you never know when they're going to get a bad winter, get the tags cut by 30% and then you've moved backwards in the units that you can draw. I'd say either burn your points in the next year or two, or build them til you have 15 or so and then can get into a primo, Red Desert unit. Anyways, shoot me a PM if you'd like and I can give you my opinion on some units as well.

if you buck up pay $600 for a special draw you better A) be able to tell the differnce in a 76" goat and 80" on the hoof because unless you have experince galssing thousands of goats over you will be fooled guarnteed. i have been many times B) dont expect to drive to the bluest of blue chip units and see 80" goats anround every corner. that is not the case. my old man and i went central wyoming blue chip unit special draw. he shot a solid 78" goat close to the road so perfect. i hunted another 1 1/2 days passing up fk near 80 ( that I counted) bucks in the process before i shot my 83 3/8" goat. you will see hundreds and hundreds of goats but unless toy have the patience to hold off and wait for what you want day in and day out I in all seriousness would not pay the special fee.
That's just my opinion though.
PM me for units if you so desire itll be 6 years before I go again

Agreed. A guy has to be willing to look over 100s of bucks to find one of those special big ones. And like you say, you gotta be able to tell the difference in a couple inches of score on bucks which isn't easy.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
goats are without question the hardest animals to judge on hoof. lets say your off 1/2" on length and .25" mass below prong.

.5" x2 =1"
.25" x 4 ( 2 mass measurements below prong x 2 horns) =1

theres 2" already and we haven't even got to prongs and mass above prong haha there tricky.

first things first you need MASS. you need a prong set above the ears 100% ( Eastman says ears are 6.5") . and you need more length above the prong than below.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Dinny. Appreciate your insight. I may bounce a few ideas off you when application season is upon us.

I agree. Judging is difficult especially in that big country. Good optics and patience are a must. It would be a 7-9 day hunt for me so I have no issues looking over some animals but I wont be disappointed with a sub 80 buck either. Just fun to get out into that country.

Thanks again.

yep PM me with whatever questions you got. I started hunting the NE corner unit 7 I think and the hunting pressure is crazy but some nice goats to be had. I now hunt more central Wyoming. lots of goats, and last time out only saw 1 other group of hunters.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74