Carry rifle and shotgun?

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Possible? if so how? Could have dusted a yote yesterday bird hunting, close shot too...fudge....
Anyone carry both firearms in the field???
Out of range for the shotgun, but would have e
easy shot with rifle.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over under shotgun rifle combo but how often do you get a chance at a yote while hunting

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Over under shotgun rifle combo but how often do you get a chance at a yote while hunting

Every time we were out this fall for either deer or elk we saw at least 2 and once 6 coyotes. We shot 7 so far while hunting for something else.

I always have a 223 or 22-250 with me what I'm out in addition to whatever handgun I'm carrying.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did this for a while back when I lived in SD and I pheasant hunted a lot more. Seems yotes were always popping out of the sloughs we walked.
It works best if you have both a rifle and a shotgun you don't care that much about. I was poor at the time, so I had an Yugo-surplus SKS and a Benelli Nova.

I had the rifle slung across my back using a sling with QD attachment and the shotgun in my hands. When I'd see a yote, the shotgun got dropped on the ground and I'd hit the button on the sling to release it so I didn't have to try to pull the whole thing over my head. It didn't always work, and can be annoying to carry, but if you like shooting coyotes as much as I do, its better than hoping your shotgun will make a vital hit at 60+ yards (it won't).

Depends on the terrain, but open sights might be best. If you walk any cattails, a scope will be full of fluff.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually carry my .357 while shotgunning I've taken a few yotes with it but then again I've had to let some pass for range I sometimes carry my .243 carbine on my back but it can be a pain like SY said. I hate to let yotes get away so it is worth it to me. ��

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just teach wife to heal and have her carry rifle at the ready.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I did this for a while back when I lived in SD and I pheasant hunted a lot more. Seems yotes were always popping out of the sloughs we walked.
It works best if you have both a rifle and a shotgun you don't care that much about. I was poor at the time, so I had an Yugo-surplus SKS and a Benelli Nova.

I had the rifle slung across my back using a sling with QD attachment and the shotgun in my hands. When I'd see a yote, the shotgun got dropped on the ground and I'd hit the button on the sling to release it so I didn't have to try to pull the whole thing over my head. It didn't always work, and can be annoying to carry, but if you like shooting coyotes as much as I do, its better than hoping your shotgun will make a vital hit at 60+ yards (it won't).

Depends on the terrain, but open sights might be best. If you walk any cattails, a scope will be full of fluff.

I take car or truck inner tubes and cut sections out of them (kinda like donuts) and use them over the ends of my scopes. When you need to use the scope you just push one end of the inner tube off the scope and it flies out of the way. The scope is clean, protected and easy to access.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75