buck lure?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
no rifle tag this year, but I will hunt rifle season w bow

how effective are doe urine, Tinks, etc.?

have you used scent like this? if so, which ones and how?

thanks!!

Mgx2400

Honored Member
hobbies-leisure-buck_lure-hunt-hunter-hunting-hunting_trips-rsun304_low.jpg

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve had some success with Doe in estrus scents. The problem is if the buck is downwind of your lure whew he can smell it, he’s also downwind of you.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've done mixed of buck an doe sents, thinks and a couple others over the years with mix results. When it comes to sent I think it is hit miss like anything. One thing I have done is it there is any small trees, especially if they have some green to them is scar the with a course field saw or knife just enough to draw fresh rub smell then add a little "buck sent" if I have it at the time, make a mock scrape in the ground to get the fresh earth smell too using my rubber boot or a stick. In the same area plant some doe sent as well and try to make your own line similar to a buck to try and get a more dominant buck to follow into shooting range. My theory is mixing options like this gives you more than one stages in different deer

- - - Updated - - -

Smart phones without proof reading frustrating

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
only one I have used is Tinks 66

pretty good luck with it
but I haven't used it a lot

always used with a cotton pad which I remove at the end of a hunt

good luck

><><

never have used it during the gun season

solely for rut onset around Halloween while bowhunting

- - - Updated - - -

not to hijack your thread, but have you ever done rattling during the gun season?

we have only done once and called in a buck and doe

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tie and drag a rag behind your boot scented with vanilla extract, when you walk to your stand.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
First Time I ever used it was back in the late 70s. Whatever brand it was it came in a small plastic bottle. I splashed some on my rubber boots and walked around That morning following a deer Trail. Late that evening I had been sitting by A small scrape I found. Right before end of shooting light I heard something coming through the timber at all a half run. I stood up and saw a buck bird-doging my tracks right to me. shot him in near self-defense at 10 yards with the old 12 gauge slug gun. Every once in a while I’ll still use it per instructions and never have had luck with that . Supposedly golden estrus is really good. I’m just not too sure if bucks are fooled by this stuff anymore. I’m sure that it has worked really well for some hunters, only once for me. LOL

Last edited:

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a good buck decoy and let the fun begin!
Some of my most memorable hunts have come from sitting by my decoy!

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Guy,
I've used the primos can call. Estrous bleat. I've had good luck with it in the mornings when its quiet and the bucks are out running and sniffing. The quieter the morning is, the quieter I use it. I always start with it tucked in my pocket so as not to scare away a buck that is close. Maybe throw one in your pack and give it a try.

Fish On!

crashboombang

I’ve tried rattling a few times along with scents and younger bucks show up quite often. They will start to circle downwind as they get closer, challenge is to find right ambush spot. It’s very exciting when they come in quick.
Good luck, using science is a blast, you’ll have a great time.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've tried just about everything, sometimes they work great and sometimes they don't seem to work at all. Best use seems to be like someone said above, tie a drag line to your boot with a scent patch with some estrus lure on it then lay a trail towards your stand but don't just walk in a straight line, zig zag a bit and add a little more scent as you get closer to your stand. Make it seem like the buck is getting closer to the doe. Then take the drag off and hang it up wind of your stand location. Use some doe bleets and a grunt call also when you can see their reaction. I don't like calling blindly, seems to do more harm then good IMO.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
The older ( wiser) I get, the less I use ANY scent.
Tried most everything over the years and can say I've only killed one good buck using scent.
Young bucks when in the mood will follow most any urine based trail.
Old does can really freak out over an odd smell.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
A topic of many a campfire. Our group came up with NOT using scent. Over the years, when we used scent, the deer of whatever size/sex, tended to act differently when that scent suddenly disappears from the trail. Be it because you dropped the drag or because you left the trail. Much of the time the deer (both bucks or does) would "search" for the missing scent which increased the chances of getting busted when they circled downwind of us. We saw this same thing when we used skunk, doe estrus, food scents, or any other scent. I don't think any of these bottled smells actually smell like the real thing, so it must bring out the curiosity factor in deer. We had some real rednecks in our group so we used some pretty outlandish methods to deploy scents over the years. The scent deployment methods were much more fun to talk about then the actual results of using scents. Sounds like rattling or grunting seemed to bring more deer out, but rarely have I had them bring deer to my stand. I haven't used a decoy, but maybe someday I'll give that a shot. Just to see if I can get a buck to trash it. (Grin)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77