Skid fish houses? meh? or yeah?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am contemplating getting one.
Looking at the 6X8 V front. Plan to tow across the ice with either my 800 Ranger or my truck.
Looking at https://icetrekfishhouses.com/ or www.ridgelinemfg.com
Any of you have one of these units or another brand?
I like the all aluminum/spray foamed features.
I do see quite a bit of them without the V front but dont think i would care for one of those.
Pluses? Minus's of owning one of these skid houses.
I do have an older 6X8 tilt bed trailer that i would plan to use for transporting. What do you folks use to put on trailer? winch?
Thanks!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I built a skid spear shak out of wood and I realize it's probably heavier than an aluminum one, but Holy Snow Plow Batman does that thing push snow when moving it. I'm contemplating putting a 2 inch ball with a crank up on the thing to put it on the truck ball. Last year when I moved the house it would have 3 plus feet of snow on the lead wall. Might want to keep that in mind if you get a skid house.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you own a cabin at a lake where you also fish, then yes, these are perfect for your intended purpose. If you don't worry about a ton of snow and venture away from the paths already created (as KDM mentions above) at the lake, then yes, these could be perfect for your intended purpose.

Otherwise, stick to wheels and torsion spring types.

Last edited:

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, I agree with Up Y'oars. If you live right on the lake you're going to fish they're probably a good option, but if you have to trailer it all the time what a pain in the butt.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess i was thinking of not necessarily taking off the lake each time. Leave on the lake a weekend at a time, depending on weather/snow conditions of course. Would probably go with the v front with 3 skids to lessen the snow build up you are referring to.
I would think a perfect application might be...say we got into a bite during the golden hour before sundown, just leaving where its at and return in the morning with possibly very little ice to drill thru in the morning(if at all) and hit a possible golden hour in the AM before moving on to another location. A touch more convenient than the portable is what i was getting at.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have a 6x10 v front alumalite works great but it sits in my yard at the lake, easy to pull, fast to set up when moving around. I can see it would be a pain to have to trailer it every weekend. think this will be my 5th year. I have had it get blown over twice in the summer I stake it down now.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want one. Check out Beberg outdoors website. They are in in MN and have some really cool setups on alumalite skid houses.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Do a quick search on here, I've commented and posted some pics of my setup. Its an 8x12' v front, I use a 4 place snowmobile trailer to haul around as I don't live on a lake. Bigger than what you are looking at, but the same idea.

Honestly for a long term solution, for me the jury is still out. It does kind of suck to tow around because it sits up high on that snowmobile trailer, not to bad if its not windy though. Loading and unloading is actually fairly quick and easy. The trick is to try to keep them lightweight, otherwise it doesn't have the same allure. Stuff like TV's, batteries, etc... add up quick weight wise.

My bigger house loaded down for a weekend of fishing, a tracked ATV or SXS is the way to go. I think a utility widetrack snowmobile would pull it fine too. I pulled it over 8 miles one way across Clearwater and was doing about 12 MPH with my tracked foreman. That was 8-15" about of snow with hard packed drifts mixed in. No way a wheeled house could've done that.

Honestly with a 6x8' house, they are really light, I wouldn't worry about snow plowing on lakes in ND. The wind blows the snow and it doesn't stay deep powder for long if at all. A tracked vehicle or snowmobile and that light of house you will stay on top.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Of course for a few thousand dollars more, a wheeled version might be a better option,2019 Ice Castle 6.5x8 Early Ice, Then of course for a few thousand dollars more than that........... is an option.... Then for a few more thousand dollars than that ................ is an option. Then, for a few more thousand dollars than that.....sparkly is an option. hahaha. Ah..yes... decisions decisions decisions, what a great country we live in! Ice fishing sure has come a long way since the days of sitting on a bucket with a wood stick with a point on it for a rod and no reel and drilling holes with a hand auger.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It would be interesting to hear a weight on that early ice model.

If I were to sell the aluma lite I have, it would be to get a similar sized wheelhouse like a yetti, or something lightweight aluminum. I've been kind of intrigued by the aluminum "skis" that can be put under the wheels. I'd really like to try something like that out.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
Of course for a few thousand dollars more, a wheeled version might be a better option,2019 Ice Castle 6.5x8 Early Ice, Then of course for a few thousand dollars more than that........... is an option.... Then for a few more thousand dollars than that ................ is an option. Then, for a few more thousand dollars than that.....sparkly is an option. hahaha. Ah..yes... decisions decisions decisions, what a great country we live in! Ice fishing sure has come a long way since the days of sitting on a bucket with a wood stick with a point on it for a rod and no reel and drilling holes with a hand auger.

I still like to use a hand auger to drill my hole, and use the good ol' bucket for a seat on a nice day during early ice season. Not sure why. But, you won't catch me fishing with a stick. Haha.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
one thing to remember is the skid houses are bare on the inside, plan on quite a fee hours painting building benches and shelves.
my ski doo skandic wt will pull my house through pretty much anything. I have had issues on glare ice in the wind, going to install a skag on the skid to try and fix the drifting this year.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67