Deer Rut 2018

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watched a very nice 5x5 (high 140's low 150) cruising this afternoon. It was around 1:30 in the afternoon and he was just moving slowly down a tree row working his line. I was able to put a spotting scope on him and get a good look at him.

Last weekend we kicked up a buck that we have seen on camera with 2 other bucks at least 10 times. This is the first time that we have seen him alone.

Anybody else seeing anything worth while?

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not much moving yet. Still have bucks coming in after dark. Shouldn't be long though.

Fish On!

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bucks moving a lot , smell bucks starting to chase hard , but in my area still a ton of corn and beans out there, glad I have a gratis cuz the best season will be muzzle loader season.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I grunted in a decent 4x4 this morning from 150 yards out, in to about 45. Trouble was I was not in a stand or blind of any kind and couldn't see him going around the hill I was on until he was down wind and bolted.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bucks moving a lot , smell bucks starting to chase hard , but in my area still a ton of corn and beans out there, glad I have a gratis cuz the best season will be muzzle loader season.

Evil land owner shame on you.:;:stirthepot :::

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
from my house I watch deer every day in a bean field. Still not much action other than occasional small bucks breaking up the doe feeding party. some of the bigger bucks are undoubtly in the timber nearby.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
On a serious note. Between cameras word of mouth and just based off the past and the amount of crops up around here it might be interesting. The young to middle class bucks are up and moving with the older wiser ones not very active in a rut dumb pattern yet. Yes that is a no $h!+ sherlock comment but look at what you have experienced in the past. For example most of the bucks that are on my wall and others in between have been taken in warmer weather and all rifle, most times in 50-60degree days with cooler nights and most years I hear people say the bucks aren't chasing when I sit and watch plenty looking and chasing a piece. This year its cooler, damp and more crops so will that change patterns? I say yes because the wise bucks are feeding and ramping up just letting the young ones feel everything out. The mature bucks will start making daylight appearances in the next week or so and just increase movement, be it local or traveling. As a gratis holder myself muzzy season could be great opportunity this year and I think riffle, at least for me, will be a game of time with the bow boys and girls being able to play some aggressive calling and sent games with results. Good luck to all

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
On a serious note. Between cameras word of mouth and just based off the past and the amount of crops up around here it might be interesting. The young to middle class bucks are up and moving with the older wiser ones not very active in a rut dumb pattern yet. Yes that is a no $h!+ sherlock comment but look at what you have experienced in the past. For example most of the bucks that are on my wall and others in between have been taken in warmer weather and all rifle, most times in 50-60degree days with cooler nights and most years I hear people say the bucks aren't chasing when I sit and watch plenty looking and chasing a piece. This year its cooler, damp and more crops so will that change patterns? I say yes because the wise bucks are feeding and ramping up just letting the young ones feel everything out. The mature bucks will start making daylight appearances in the next week or so and just increase movement, be it local or traveling. As a gratis holder myself muzzy season could be great opportunity this year and I think riffle, at least for me, will be a game of time with the bow boys and girls being able to play some aggressive calling and sent games with results. Good luck to all

Ageee with you . In my area the big boys are in the corn , I have cameras out in prime woods and crick bottoms and the big ones just aren't cruising the woods yet . We need crop to come off, last weekend of rifle season will be the best . Advice for rifle tag holders would be skip thanksgiving dinner that'll be one of the best days to hunt

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went for a cruise last night. The does were everywhere. I didn’t see one buck. I was actually really surprised to not even see a dink messing around. I saw one group of 13 doe/fawn and not a buck in sight.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
With this weather rolling in, all of those no buck sightings are about to change, and rather quickly. If you've been after an elusive buck, I'd be sitting all damn weekend with this weather we are about to see.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's so much corn and beans still in the fields where I hunt that just seeing a deer is a success right now. Haven't seen one buck sniffing around yet and I've been out quite a bit. I kinda think gun hunting around here might be a bit sketchy if we keep getting the wet stuff from the sky that holds the harvest up. Good Luck All and Be Safe!!!!

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Last sit for me was Monday evening. Had a yearling buck and a smaller 10pt that I guessed to be a 2.5yr old come by, together. No signs of swollen neck or anything. The 10 worked over a small sapling pretty good. Cameras aren't showing any more movement for big deer either. I agree with this upcoming weather though, that should jump start things. I also think with the later full moon, the rut will be a little more strung out, not 3-4 days of fast and furious but rather 10 or more days of slower action.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I rattled in a 150s buck last night, came in on a string even in that ugly wind to 15 yds. Its time! :;:thumbsup

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I am hearing, it sounds like you hunt on a different planet than most of us. I’m jealous. Have bow, will travel

Founding Member
Founding Member
He's only 3.5, heck of a deer. He just has a ton of potential if he can make it. Im just trying to get the buck I wounded opening weekend right now. Believe me I know in this state a 140s is a good buck. But I'd rather shoot an older buck that scored in the 140-150s and let a young deer walk that scored better. But shoot what makes you happy I always say.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
B4277979-E614-4205-AF8A-64E10F5FF12A.jpg

Attachments

FFBAC393-8F5B-4EA9-BE23-DCC6F6398A89.jpg

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've seen it referenced on this post twice, but i never knew? Can a gratis tag holder hunt both the rifle season and muzzleloader season?

bowhunter88

Established Member
GSM, yes- they can hunt all 3 seasons. Although i think most just hunt the rifle season.

But for the thread i was out for a drive last weekend and saw some improving deer movement. Saw two younger bucks with does. Not chasing but just hanging around. They know the time is coming and they're getting ready.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76