Ice electronics

Mgx2400

Honored Member
Took the helix 5 out of the boat the other day and installed it into my new hummingbird ice kit. Have an older fl8 but wanted something different to try. This will be sweet because it has gps and lakemaster chip. Anyone have any feedback on using their hummingbird electronics in ice mode?

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will like it. I got an ice kit for my 859 with lakemaster chip. I didnt care for the flasher mode on the humminbird, couldnt seem to get the flasher screen cleaned up enough to see what was actually going on so i use it in 2d mode. Only problem with the 7" screen is the battery wont last all day so I just take a spare along. You shouldnt have that problem with the helix 5 though. It is very nice to drive up to a hump or waypoint you have saved on the chip, drill your first hole and be right on the money.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where did you get the ice,kit for,your bird? I have a 7" helix that I planned on using, but a quick Google search says 249.99 without battery.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a helix 7 and love it. I run it in sonar mode not a fan of the flasher on it. If you turn down the screen brightness the battery will last all day.

- - - Updated - - -

With mine I just bought the ice ducer and mounted it on a gene box. I think I have about 200 into converting mine with the battery.

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just bought that soft sided blue case at scheels for $45, maybe Clam brand not sure. I bolted a square piece of 3/8" Poly type board material to the bottom of the bag to stiffen it up and i mounted my unit to that board. Buy the appropriate ice ducer for your unit and a battery. I don't think I have much more than $150 into mine and its a handy way to take a unit you use on your boat and have another unit to bring along for someone else to use that goes with you.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Where did you get the ice,kit for,your bird? I have a 7" helix that I planned on using, but a quick Google search says 249.99 without battery.

You could go the cheap route. Mount it to a milk crate, put 12 volt battery inside, buy the ice ducer and you will be set for about. $130

HammsRMK

Honored Member
I ran my Helix 7 last year as well was awesome. I gave the wife the flx28 and I will never go back. I mounted my to the top of my battery box. I have three batteries in there and have lights and chargers if I need them. It works ok a little heavy.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Get a Dakota Lithium battery, you'll never run out of battery in a day. I paired one with my LX7, and I never have to bring a spare battery with anymore.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you guys have the gen 1 Helix's? I've been tempted to get the ice ducer for mine, as i mount it on my ATV for maps anyways and could just run and gun, but i've read you only get one cone angle that is pretty wide and so the gen 1 isn't great unless you get the actual ice pack. It sounds like the gen 2 is much better for ice fishing, with one of the updates, and it sounds like there is a newer ducer for the 2 that doesn't work with the 1

Last edited:

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Do you guys have the gen 1 Helix's? I've been tempted to get the ice ducer for mine, as i mount it on my ATV for maps anyways and could just run and gun, but i've read you only get one cone angle that is pretty wide and so the gen 1 isn't great unless you get the actual ice pack. It sounds like the gen 2 is much better for ice fishing, with one of the updates, and it sounds like there is a newer ducer for the 2 that doesn't work with the 1

Buddy of mine used a gen 1 for a few times, hated it. He sold it and got a G2 when it came out, night and day difference on the ice.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^yeah i seem to hear mixed reviews with the Gen 1 on the ice. Having said that i can get the transducer for $60, so might have to give it a whirl. Would be kind of nice to just drill a hole and throw the ducer down quick right off my ATV and jig a bit as i'm checking spots. Hoping others will chime in on Gen 1. Still have a Vex as well for off the atv/in the house.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also have the 7 in my boat. Was considering just mounting to atv for the gps while fishing with the old Fl8 . But dang , If i can get ice ready for under $150 thats more than worth it.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have both I don't mind the G1 on graph mode and GPS works great but the G2 is much better.

cfsfan

Founding Member
Founding Member
On my Helix 7 to save battery turn down the back light on it. Instead of using backlight at 10 turn it down to about 4 or 5. Battery will last ALOT longer. I got a good two days out of mine doing that.

Mgx2400

Honored Member
Have been out a couple times now and love the depth contours on my helix while ice fishing. I don't use the flasher mode. Just use the graph mode and was liking it pretty good. And just like on the boat, I can mark my spot or track for that matter.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77