The Eagles have landed.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bird type eagles to make that clear. Pair of golden eagles will stay for about a month in a large cotton wood grove not far from my house. I think when the deer gut piles are gone then they move on. Been doing this for the last three years.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
There have been 6 bald eagles hanging out down around our hunting ground SW of Mandan. Looks to be 4 mature birds and 2 juveniles. I saw all 6 of them on one of our gut piles within 3 hours of shooting the deer. Pretty cool to watch.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
When i hiked back in to get the second load of my mule deer there was a bald eagle on the carcass already tried to get a picture but he flew off to fast it was a great cap to to awesome day. I have a fascination with raptors

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was walking a grass section line for pheasants NE of Bismarck about 3 weeks ago. Pretty windy day and I noticed feathers in the air coming from over a draw. Walked over and there was a golden eagle ripping apart a snow goose in the corn stubble. I was about 20 yards away, and definitely more spooked than he was. That big bastard didn't want to give up his meal.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a pair of golden eagles that nest south of the new town bridge. I have seen them for 3 years now. Huge birds. The female was standing on the edge of a cliff next to the lake and I did not see it until I was right under it. Scared the shit out of me. Thought it was a gargoyle or something. Biggest bird I have ever seen in person. It had to be 3 ft tall. If you fish in that area I recommend to keep a close eye on young kids and small dogs.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eagles are pretty awesome birds. At fly-in fishing camp up north they follow fisherman around the lake. If you release a fish next to the boat that for one reason or the other doesn't live or swim away right away, you can get quite a show of them swooping from the tree and grabbing the fish. My kids thought it was pretty dam cool, as did I.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a Bald Eagle come out of a ditch must have been eating on something, and all I saw was legs and asshole in the windshield of the pickup, that would have been interesting if I would have hit it and it landed in the box, they would have hung me on the flag pole at the courthouse

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
Was fishing under the memorial bridge in Bismarck a few years back and watched a baldy blast a pigeon rite out of the air. That was wild, he landed on a sand bar and lunch was served. Also had another crazy one last year, saw a snowy owl circling ahead of me on a prairie trail and as i got closer all of a sudden drops like it was shot. as i get up to where it was rite beside the road he's chowing on a pheasant.

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had these to young bald eagles circling me at the tail race last year, That was very cool, and just happen to have my camera

DSC_2565.jpg

DSC_2594.jpg
DSC_2628.jpg

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are a couple bald eagle nests around Yates. One I can almost see out my classroom window, Bullsnake can see it out is back door. The other is bye the state line. So I see them quite a bit on the river. Very cool. When the water was waaaaay down in the mid 2000's, there was a nest in a tree sticking out of the water just north of PKC boat ramp. Watched the adults and those little eagles all spring and summer from in the nest getting bigger and flying around, for a couple years.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bird type eagles to make that clear. Pair of golden eagles will stay for about a month in a large cotton wood grove not far from my house. I think when the deer gut piles are gone then they move on. Been doing this for the last three years.
I don't let our mini doxie out in the kennel unless we are standing on the back deck. She would just be lunch.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I find very few animals as majestic as eagles. Fished in Alaska once and bald eagles were as common as ravens. Same experience with fish released that didn't dive down immediately. Eagles would pick them out of the water as close as 20' from the boat. Sometimes if a small roughfish was caught it might receive a little tap on the head to make it quiver in the water for awhile just to watch the eagle show.

Up close that big hooked beak and those piercing eyes just add to their mystique. Beautiful birds, bald or golden.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75