Cruise Tips

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife and I are going on a Carnival Cruise in mid-January. Flying into Miami, then going to the Bahamas for a few days. Does anyone have any tips for a cruise? This will be my first cruise.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lose weight before you go....I think on my first cruise I gained 10-15 lbs

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do NOT get sunburnt. No matter what.

Never ever drink the tap water. Or brush your teeth with it.

Drink cultered yogurts (Kefir etc.) twice a day to combat foreigner bacterium who will Montezuma you in a NY minute if allowed to.

- - - Updated - - -

Bonine is vastly superior to Dramamine.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you’re going to do excursions you don’t necessarily have to book them directly with the cruise line. They’ll probably be cheaper if you don’t just make sure if you book on your own that whoever is providing the services knows that you’re with a cruise ship and you need to be back. Don’t miss your boat that flight to the next port can be expensive.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fly directly to the Bahamas and skip the big boat, schedule keeping, runaround, seasick, can't enjoy just relaxing cuz you gotta catch the boat BS.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some people are cruise people some aren’t. The last one we took to the Bahamas I only got off the boat to buy a nice cigar and smoke it. Actually the cruising days are some of my favorite days. When everyone is getting off the boat at the ports it’s pretty mellow on the boat.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
We did our first cruise last year, it was alright. I am more of a beach person and prefer sitting in the sand rather than on a boat. We took Dramamine with us, I never used it, my wife did but only as a precaution. We had a smaller boat only about 2500 capacity so it didn’t seem to crowded, I have heard some of the bigger boats can get pretty congested at times especially at meals. Booze is expensive you will basically be paying bar prices, unless there is some type of alcohol package available if there is get it if you like to throw a few back during the day. We had good weather and calm seas so the ship itself was fine. Take advantage of days at port just remember they are all tourist traps…especially if you are docking in Nassau super high crime rate if you get to far into town. Relax enjoy yourself and remember it will be warmer than at home …

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try to get a midship cabin, lose weight before (because food is the best part of cruises), and drinks (and all extras) are excessively expensive.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I froze my a off in April to the bahamas --- rebook it to honduras. We have been doing ncl lately ---- booze included. So far they have not cheaped out on the booze. Do atlantis -- imo its worth it imo. Do the research -- i think we had to do the one off the ship if i remember correctly as they only let so many in. Due to the fact that they dont let everybody and brother in makes it not busy. KDM idea is the way to go ---but the wifey may not be in favor. Other than that --- do the bars on board ---meet some people --- get buzzed and have a good time

- - - Updated - - -

you either like it or you hate it -- -for locals its a cheap get away.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
ps alot of the booze inclusives are built in i know --- but the last one ----you got to choose as part of the package booze or internet. Which one do you think i chose ;:;boozer. With verizon - you have internet at every port. Plus you can always ask the cruise workers when you get off the ship -- they know where to get free internet

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fly in the night or day before, have a little fun in Miami before you leave and give yourself a buffer for weather or flight issues. You never know what kind of weather delays you'll run into and the boat isn't going to wait for you.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don’t wear a cowboy hat, it makes other cruisers uncomfortable

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fly in the night or day before, have a little fun in Miami before you leave and give yourself a buffer for weather or flight issues. You never know what kind of weather delays you'll run into and the boat isn't going to wait for you.

^^^This^^^

good point ... logistically Miami sucks to get to from ND, we stayed the night before and the day we got back to port ... just to be safe and not miss any flights ... FYI if you've never been to Miami welcome to third world country ... if we did it again we would leave out of Orlando/cape canaveral

Mgx2400

Honored Member
If you get off the boat in the Bahamas don't eat the food. Was sick for 3 days. Horrible vac.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^This^^^

good point ... logistically Miami sucks to get to from ND, we stayed the night before and the day we got back to port ... just to be safe and not miss any flights ... FYI if you've never been to Miami welcome to third world country ... if we did it again we would leave out of Orlando/cape canaveral

Nothing wrong with Miami --- CVS manager (were getting some beer) --- the manager was bitching about the homeless --- i said we have more homeless in little minne then miami ---- sure enough we looked at the stats online --- yup!!!

South beach is fun - expensive but fun. Thong a rama. You wont see that on astraybula. I could just soke it it up

IMG_20170624_162649763.jpg i AM THEILIN IT BABY!!!!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went on my first cruise 2 weeks after getting done with wrestling. Found out that they serve pizza 24/7. I skipped two weight classes by the time we got back.

People were sneaking booze in via 2 liter bottles in their bags. If there is an alcohol package, buy it. It's friggen expensive to get wrecked while at sea. Get off the boat before you buy packages. We had a taxi driver for the entire day while in Jamaica. Took us to the tourist traps and then to the local spots for food and red stripes. Would have cost us a ton of money to have chartered all of the activities.

Drink lots of water and wear your sunscreen.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 57