Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 118
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Premium Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    NW Angle, MN and Little Chicago, ND
    Posts
    622
    NDA Points
    10,770
    NDA Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 713
    Given: 1,296
    Classifieds
    11

    NE NoDak Game and Fish Meeting


    From the GF Herald by Brad Dokken

    Officials from the North Dakota Game and Fish Department got an earful this week in Grand Forks from hunters frustrated with not being able to draw a deer gun tag in recent years.

    Some hunters said they've now gone more than five years without drawing a gun season tag.


    About 65 people, mostly middle-age and older men, (them Gosh Darn Baby Bombers) filled the Red River Archers' indoor range Tuesday night for the North Dakota Game and Fish Department's District 4 fall Advisory Board meeting. Game and Fish is mandated to hold the meetings twice a year in each of the state's eight Advisory Board districts.
    District 4 covers Grand Forks, Nelson, Pembina and Walsh counties.
    As in previous years, deer hunting discussion dominated the fall meeting, but the level of frustration some of the more vocal hunters expressed Tuesday night seemed higher than what I've heard in the previous 40 or so meetings I've attended in the past 20 years.
    The Game and Fish Department traditionally aims to issue deer gun tags at a level that ensures a hunter success rate of 70 percent. Unfortunately, a series of three consecutive tough winters beginning in 2008, coupled with habitat loss and several previous years of aggressive harvest combined to drastically reduce deer populations.
    Fewer deer on the landscape means the department has to issue fewer tags to maintain that 70 percent success rate.
    "We would like to see more deer out on the landscape than what there is, but the only way to do that is habitat," said Terry Steinwand, Game and Fish director, who led Tuesday night's meeting with Wildlife Chief Jeb Williams.
    Providing more habitat will require hunters to contact their congressional delegation to encourage support for Farm Bill habitat provisions such as the federal Conservation Reserve Program, Steinwand said.
    "In North Dakota, habitat matters," he said.
    Finding a balance

    Game and Fish this year offered 54,500 deer gun licenses. That's up from last year, a sign deer numbers are moving in the right direction, but it's still far below the mid-2000s, when more than 100,000 tags were available and supply often exceeded demand.
    About 40,000 hunters applied for gun tags this year but didn't get drawn. Some people Tuesday night wondered if managing for a 70 percent hunter success rate still is realistic, given the difficulty in even drawing a tag.
    "On the system we have, if you don't draw, you don't go," one hunter said. "I'm 69 years old and haven't drawn a tag in six years. If I draw one next year, I might as well sell the gun."


    Big reductions
    Responding to criticism the department issues too many doe tags, Williams, the wildlife chief, said Game and Fish in 2008 offered 9,000 antlerless tags in Unit 2C, a unit in far northeast North Dakota north of U.S. Highway 2. This year, 300 antlerless tags were available in 2C, he said.
    "The majority of the state where our reduction is coming has been in the antlerless segment, so I think we have done that," Williams said. "Now, whether you want to say we should have had 9,000 tags back in 2008, that's a different subject, but at that time, there were many people in this room that said 'Yeah, we should; we should sell more.'
    "We have drastically reduced the number of licenses in pretty much all these units, and that's also some frustration now. Now you can't get a license. So which one do we want?"
    As for the future, the best the department can do, Williams said, is be conservative with licenses while relying on Mother Nature and efforts to encourage the conservation of wildlife habitat.
    When CRP was at its 3.5 million-acre peak in North Dakota, the federal government paid out $130 million in annual payments to landowners, Williams said. By comparison, the Game and Fish Department's entire two-year budget is $75 million.
    There's only so much the department can do for habitat, in other words.
    "We're not going to get back to levels people would like," Williams said of deer and license numbers. "Is this what we're going to have to get used to? At this point in time, yes. I get it, we're not meeting the public's expectations."

    Sorry I am bored today.
    So did anyone attend any of these meetings??


    2 Not allowed!
    "Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." Porky Pine 12/25/1973

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Ultimate VIP Member
    lunkerslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devils Lake, ND
    Posts
    3,989
    NDA Points
    175,797
    NDA Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,416
    Given: 1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogman View Post
    From the GF Herald by Brad Dokken

    Officials from the North Dakota Game and Fish Department got an earful this week in Grand Forks from hunters frustrated with not being able to draw a deer gun tag in recent years.

    Some hunters said they've now gone more than five years without drawing a gun season tag.


    About 65 people, mostly middle-age and older men, (them Gosh Darn Baby Bombers) filled the Red River Archers' indoor range Tuesday night for the North Dakota Game and Fish Department's District 4 fall Advisory Board meeting. Game and Fish is mandated to hold the meetings twice a year in each of the state's eight Advisory Board districts.
    District 4 covers Grand Forks, Nelson, Pembina and Walsh counties.
    As in previous years, deer hunting discussion dominated the fall meeting, but the level of frustration some of the more vocal hunters expressed Tuesday night seemed higher than what I've heard in the previous 40 or so meetings I've attended in the past 20 years.
    The Game and Fish Department traditionally aims to issue deer gun tags at a level that ensures a hunter success rate of 70 percent. Unfortunately, a series of three consecutive tough winters beginning in 2008, coupled with habitat loss and several previous years of aggressive harvest combined to drastically reduce deer populations.
    Fewer deer on the landscape means the department has to issue fewer tags to maintain that 70 percent success rate.
    "We would like to see more deer out on the landscape than what there is, but the only way to do that is habitat," said Terry Steinwand, Game and Fish director, who led Tuesday night's meeting with Wildlife Chief Jeb Williams.
    Providing more habitat will require hunters to contact their congressional delegation to encourage support for Farm Bill habitat provisions such as the federal Conservation Reserve Program, Steinwand said.
    "In North Dakota, habitat matters," he said.
    Finding a balance

    Game and Fish this year offered 54,500 deer gun licenses. That's up from last year, a sign deer numbers are moving in the right direction, but it's still far below the mid-2000s, when more than 100,000 tags were available and supply often exceeded demand.
    About 40,000 hunters applied for gun tags this year but didn't get drawn. Some people Tuesday night wondered if managing for a 70 percent hunter success rate still is realistic, given the difficulty in even drawing a tag.
    "On the system we have, if you don't draw, you don't go," one hunter said. "I'm 69 years old and haven't drawn a tag in six years. If I draw one next year, I might as well sell the gun." Doesn't he know he can go to other units to get a tag, i wonder why he doesn't take up that offer to hunt in a different unit?


    Big reductions
    Responding to criticism the department issues too many doe tags, Williams, the wildlife chief, said Game and Fish in 2008 offered 9,000 antlerless tags in Unit 2C, a unit in far northeast North Dakota north of U.S. Highway 2. This year, 300 antlerless tags were available in 2C, he said.
    "The majority of the state where our reduction is coming has been in the antlerless segment, so I think we have done that," Williams said. "Now, whether you want to say we should have had 9,000 tags back in 2008, that's a different subject, but at that time, there were many people in this room that said 'Yeah, we should; we should sell more.'
    "We have drastically reduced the number of licenses in pretty much all these units, and that's also some frustration now. Now you can't get a license. So which one do we want?"
    As for the future, the best the department can do, Williams said, is be conservative with licenses while relying on Mother Nature and efforts to encourage the conservation of wildlife habitat.
    When CRP was at its 3.5 million-acre peak in North Dakota, the federal government paid out $130 million in annual payments to landowners, Williams said. By comparison, the Game and Fish Department's entire two-year budget is $75 million.
    There's only so much the department can do for habitat, in other words.
    "We're not going to get back to levels people would like," Williams said of deer and license numbers. "Is this what we're going to have to get used to? At this point in time, yes. I get it, we're not meeting the public's expectations."
    Yes this is what we will be getting used to here in north dakota for the see able future. Maybe we can have a unit stocking of deer option NDGF would have a huge game farm to raise deer, moose, antelope, pronghorns then release then into the wild were they are needed.

    Sorry I am bored today.
    So did anyone attend any of these meetings??

    1

    0 Not allowed!
    Frederick's Live Bait
    7 th & Walnut Ave, Devils Lake, ND 58301
    (701) 662-4486 cell (701) 351-5040

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Ultimate VIP Member
    eyexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    williston
    Posts
    2,673
    NDA Points
    11,157
    NDA Level
    45
    Report Entries
    1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,736
    Given: 1,813
    I didn't get drawn six years in a row and just gave up. So I can feel these guys pain. And it's going to get more and more heated every year until they come up with a better system. Things have changed dramatically in the last 40 years so there obviously needs to be a change in the system. I don't think the Game and Fish will be able to kick the can down the road much longer.

    1 Not allowed!

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Ultimate VIP Member
    WormWiggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Dickinson ND
    Posts
    1,699
    NDA Points
    227,510
    NDA Level
    100
    Report Entries
    5
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,081
    Given: 1,660
    Classifieds
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by eyexer View Post
    I didn't get drawn six years in a row and just gave up. So I can feel these guys pain. And it's going to get more and more heated every year until they come up with a better system. Things have changed dramatically in the last 40 years so there obviously needs to be a change in the system. I don't think the Game and Fish will be able to kick the can down the road much longer.
    now just wait one god damn minute, the last week melted down the website and it was determined that it ain't broke so don't fix it (see various polls & arguments)

    2 Not allowed!
    I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.... and I'm all out of bubble gum. RIP Rowdy

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Premium Member

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    255
    NDA Points
    4,373
    NDA Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 0
    I hunted 2C when I was in college in the mid-2000s and deer numbers were through the roof. My grandfather owned a couple hundred acres by the Red and one year it had sugar beets on it and it was like a petting zoo. The fact that jumped out at me was the reduction of doe tags from 9000 to 300 in less than 10 years - WOW! That is astounding. Are there really that few deer over there now?

    I won't offer much for opinions on the deer tag issue since it's one of those topics that no one will ever agree on. Definitely no simple solution.

    1 Not allowed!

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Ultimate VIP Member
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,206
    NDA Points
    51,065
    NDA Level
    99
    Report Entries
    8
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,206
    Given: 1,795
    Classifieds
    3
    Maybe some of you guys can talk to the does and have them start dropping more triplets. About as productive as the other things that have been suggested.

    2 Not allowed!
    Hunting is conservation.

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Ultimate VIP Member
    guywhofishes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Little Minneapolis, ND
    Posts
    6,651
    NDA Points
    128,220
    NDA Level
    100
    Report Entries
    2
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,357
    Given: 8,339
    Classifieds
    1
    doze more tree rows?

    - - - Updated - - -

    burn/till more sloughs?

    6 Not allowed!
    SkegosaurusSteering Systems Pro Staff

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Ultimate VIP Member
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,206
    NDA Points
    51,065
    NDA Level
    99
    Report Entries
    8
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,206
    Given: 1,795
    Classifieds
    3
    Sure. That spreads misery too.

    0 Not allowed!
    Hunting is conservation.

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Ultimate VIP Member
    eyexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    williston
    Posts
    2,673
    NDA Points
    11,157
    NDA Level
    45
    Report Entries
    1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,736
    Given: 1,813
    Deer are simply the victims of high priced commodities

    7 Not allowed!

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Ultimate VIP Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,169
    NDA Points
    6,271
    NDA Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,854
    Given: 1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by guywhofishes View Post
    doze more tree rows?

    - - - Updated - - -

    burn/till more sloughs?
    Guy I am curious how many miles of tree rows have you planted the last 20 years?

    0 Not allowed!

  11. Back To Top    #11
    Premium Member
    Bfishn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    722
    NDA Points
    6,923
    NDA Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 788
    Given: 156
    Classifieds
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by eyexer View Post
    I didn't get drawn six years in a row and just gave up. So I can feel these guys pain. And it's going to get more and more heated every year until they come up with a better system. Things have changed dramatically in the last 40 years so there obviously needs to be a change in the system. I don't think the Game and Fish will be able to kick the can down the road much longer.
    What unit?

    0 Not allowed!

  12. Back To Top    #12
    Premium Member
    You's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    In front.
    Posts
    627
    NDA Points
    7,241
    NDA Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 428
    Given: 0
    regarding the deer population (or lackthereof) the answer IS habit and a good run of weather. a solution does not exist in changing tag allocations and/or how the LOTTERY is ran. i belive the food/forage to be adequate in most parts of the state.

    now, how can the g&f promote long term habitat creation in each and every unit? I don't know, but if it were my job or full time responsibility to look out for herd health I'd definatelly have some decent ideas by now.

    I know a lot if not most of their funding comes from license fees. the deer LOTTERY has to be one of the biggest sources of revenue for them (maybe the biggest?) it's in their interest to have a larger herd. they need to work towards that. they need more money to promote long term habitat creation. external funding sources/ideas need to be hatched but some must come from within by way of fat trimming. I'm sure there are oodles of fat-trim options but the few 'no-brainers' I'm aware of are:

    1. paying even one red cent to enroll an acre of featureless, coverless land into the plots program is stupid

    2. maintaining and managing a sustainable deer-decimating population of mountain lions and all the unnecessary studying/collaring/tracking/man hours bs that goes along with it, just so the same few groups of houndsman can take their 5th, 6th, and 7th nd lion is stupid in more ways than one.

    3. bighorn sheep. give it up already HOLY HELL. like most i do hope to draw one but our 'hope' has never been worth the price of admission. so so stupid.

    4. promotional agency. I don't entirely know what this means but i know the g&f is considered one.

    to me it should mean the hunters ed program, kids fishing ponds and rods/tackle, the occasional school function, public input meetings, or the occasional media clip or radio session.

    it should not mean a massive presence at the state fair and all the man hours, hotel rooms, and per diem that I assume goes with (overtime too?). and it sure as heck shouldn't mean paying for embroidered vests, tshirts, pullovers, and hiking boots for every licensing clerk, accountant, and administrator in the Bismarck office. even the biologists, people in fisheries, and others that go afield from time to time. I'd give them boots and a removable badge/nametag. that'd be the extent of their 'uniforms' and uniform budget. (wardens excluded. uniform the crap out of them)

    5 Not allowed!
    Last edited by You; 12-03-2017 at 09:47 PM.

  13. Back To Top    #13
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    18
    NDA Points
    2,138
    NDA Level
    18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 7
    Absolutely blithering lunacy....

    The only thing dropping faster in 2C than doe tag allocations is shelter belts!.

    Each shelter belt along a quarter of land used to hold at least a doe and fawn set....
    Cant have it both ways....

    9000 tags was disgusting...but so was watching massive heards of deer struggle through winter.

    You can not doze every shelter nelt from the 50s and y0s and expect the deer to be able to survive

    3 Not allowed!

  14. Back To Top    #14
    Ultimate VIP Member
    shorthairsrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,626
    NDA Points
    49,326
    NDA Level
    97
    Report Entries
    10
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 925
    Given: 316
    Classifieds
    1
    On the system we have, if you don't draw, you don't go," one hunter said. "I'm 69 years old and haven't drawn a tag in six years. If I draw one next year, I might as well sell the gun.



    SELL YOUR GUN boomer. How many tags and deer did you shoot when Randy was handing out tags like a drunken sailor. 69yrz old and all you think about is "me me me me me me".

    1 Not allowed!

  15. Back To Top    #15
    Ultimate VIP Member
    lunkerslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devils Lake, ND
    Posts
    3,989
    NDA Points
    175,797
    NDA Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,416
    Given: 1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by frozen4sioux View Post
    Absolutely blithering lunacy....

    The only thing dropping faster in 2C than doe tag allocations is shelter belts!.

    Each shelter belt along a quarter of land used to hold at least a doe and fawn set....
    Cant have it both ways....

    9000 tags was disgusting...but so was watching massive heards of deer struggle through winter.

    You can not doze every shelter nelt from the 50s and y0s and expect the deer to be able to survive
    What about the argument that those shelter belts collect snow making them unhabitable for big game. I am afraid that the real deciding factor is still and has always been the numbers of predators and record snow fall. There is not a easy solution to deer management but give me 8 to 10 foot high industrial hemp six row wide for 2640 feet I will give you habitat fit for suitable protection from mother nature. What cool about hemp is it can be planted as a wind break. I know know never going to happen but man what a great concept. Now close your eyes and picture wind breaks made of hemp

    1 Not allowed!
    Frederick's Live Bait
    7 th & Walnut Ave, Devils Lake, ND 58301
    (701) 662-4486 cell (701) 351-5040

  16. Back To Top    #16
    Ultimate VIP Member
    Davey Crockett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Boondocks
    Posts
    2,877
    NDA Points
    23,904
    NDA Level
    67
    Report Entries
    1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,855
    Given: 1,980
    You dirty hippy you are just making up excuses to plant it so you can smoke it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Haha That was common knowledge a couple years ago .

    1 Not allowed!
    Life is Good

  17. Back To Top    #17
    VIP Member
    bckhntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Bismarck/Mandan, ND
    Posts
    1,078
    NDA Points
    95,000
    NDA Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,040
    Given: 494
    Quote Originally Posted by lunkerslayer View Post
    What about the argument that those shelter belts collect snow making them unhabitable for big game. I am afraid that the real deciding factor is still and has always been the numbers of predators and record snow fall. There is not a easy solution to deer management but give me 8 to 10 foot high industrial hemp six row wide for 2640 feet I will give you habitat fit for suitable protection from mother nature. What cool about hemp is it can be planted as a wind break. I know know never going to happen but man what a great concept. Now close your eyes and picture wind breaks made of hemp
    let me start by saying I know this isn’t how it works but.....

    when i I read this all I pictured was a bunch of deer like cheech and Chong....

    thats all.

    0 Not allowed!
    Not too often you get all this neatness in one location. That's called nature.

  18. Back To Top    #18
    Premium Member

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    316
    NDA Points
    4,725
    NDA Level
    29
    Report Entries
    1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 428
    Given: 282
    Quote Originally Posted by shorthairsrus View Post
    On the system we have, if you don't draw, you don't go," one hunter said. "I'm 69 years old and haven't drawn a tag in six years. If I draw one next year, I might as well sell the gun.



    SELL YOUR GUN boomer. How many tags and deer did you shoot when Randy was handing out tags like a drunken sailor. 69yrz old and all you think about is "me me me me me me".
    It is only going to get worse. The baby-boomers are going to make for some horrible "greedy geezers".

    3 Not allowed!

  19. Back To Top    #19
    Ultimate VIP Member
    guywhofishes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Little Minneapolis, ND
    Posts
    6,651
    NDA Points
    128,220
    NDA Level
    100
    Report Entries
    2
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,357
    Given: 8,339
    Classifieds
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by gst View Post
    Guy I am curious how many miles of tree rows have you planted the last 20 years?
    don’t need to - own naturally deery land with a surplus of trees

    what’s that got to do with dozing healthy tree rows?

    what a putz

    3 Not allowed!
    SkegosaurusSteering Systems Pro Staff

  20. Back To Top    #20
    VIP Member
    Obi-Wan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Bismarck
    Posts
    1,054
    NDA Points
    35,063
    NDA Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,201
    Given: 857

    So wanting a tag is greedy but wanting a multi tags is not. Those old geezers most likely hunted through both bad and good years and have seen it both ways which most of you youngsters on this site have not had to deal with. Also you will be an geezer a lot sooner than you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reprobait View Post
    It is only going to get worse. The baby-boomers are going to make for some horrible "greedy geezers".

    3 Not allowed!
    I don't always get negative reps..... But when I do it's because some crybaby couldn't handle my posts!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About Nodak Angler

    NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

Business & Contact

Follow us on

Facebook Instagram Twitter