1. Back To Top    #1
    Bronze Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 112

What gun safe should I buy?

I searched the site for this info and was surprised when I didn't find anything.

I am in the market for a good gun safe and was wondering what you guys have that you like or don't like. It doesn't need to look pretty as it will go in the garage but I want it fairly large and durable of course. Let me know what you have and thanks in advance.

0 Not allowed!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Bronze Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 24
    I can only weight in on Liberty. I have one and have no complaints about it. Seems to be a really well made safe. Just keep in mind that the advertised number of guns will not likely fit.

3 Not allowed!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Premium Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 221
    Personally, I'm a fan of Liberty.

And I shopped for a good while because they tend to go on sale frequently. They are higher quality in my opinion when you compare specs, and I found them to be more reasonably price. I purchased mine through Cabelas who has several models that they slap their name on, but are produced and have the liberty warranty. I ordered mine when it was on sale for 500 off, but the shipping cost me 200. It showed up and was unloaded into the garage, undamaged which is big if you arent picking up yourself. Nothing worse then spending good money and having a delivery guy wreck it. They are a bitch to move up and down stairs but slide well on carpet. Sounds like that wont be an issue if its staying in the garage.

Decide how big you need (big enough to grow into, always need more guns), compare specs between safes, and compare pricing and I believe you will find the one that works best for you.

Also, I'm a big fan of the manual locking mechanism. The electronic keypad in my opinion can become subject to murphys law waaaay too easy. If you must have the keypad, make sure it has a backup/manual key to unlock the safe. Alot of them dont and if it goes on the fritz you are SOL.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by ndlongshot; 12-05-2017 at 04:39 PM.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Ultimate VIP Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,476
    Given: 640
    Classifieds
    get one that is twice as big as you think you need. I have the liberty fatboy jr and am happy with it but have nothing to compare it to. AR's and scoped rifles really eat up space.

3 Not allowed!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,936
    Given: 4,377
    I spent awhile researching a safe that would stop theft and concluded that pretty much all in-home “gun safes” are really just locking fireproof cabinets and easily defeated with a little effort and some tools. A traditional safe (=vault) that will store your gun collection is likely too heavy and expensive for your house. The gun “safes” you’re looking at are largely window dressing, but could possibly dissuade an inexperienced criminal and may or may not help in a fire. Just something to keep in mind before you drop several thousand dollars to protect your pea shooters.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I have a decoy safe filled with decoy guns and decoy gold.

1 Not allowed!
    If you're reading this post and find yourself muttering, "he can't be serious", there's a good chance I'm not.

AKA, Slim Blundt; Pool Turd

6. Back To Top    #6
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 460
    Given: 603
    Classifieds
    I have a Stack-On Total defense with the manual dial. I have been pretty satisfied with it until my recent move. I had emptied it prior to my move and when I went to put the stuff back into it, the center divide is now loose. I have tried to tighten the screws and it appears they are now stripped. Safe was never dropped or tipped over.

Can't speak for any other safe.

0 Not allowed!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    you might also consider multiple smaller safes in multiple locations. Small safes are easier to move, easier to add another one if you run out of room, and if there’s a fire in your home you won’t have all your eggs on one basket. For example, Maybe one safe doesn’t survive the fire but the other one on the other side of the house does. This way you’re only replacing half your guns.

3 Not allowed!
    If you're reading this post and find yourself muttering, "he can't be serious", there's a good chance I'm not.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,943
    Given: 4,560
    I have 3 safes, a 1899 Mosler, a Browning Mediallion and a Winchester.

Remember to buy one with a lot more space than you think you need and also you get what you pay for. Also check with your insurance company about coverage, a better safe may save you money in premiums.

0 Not allowed!
    D.A.V. - M.O.P.H. - N.R.A. - Life Member

9. Back To Top    #9
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

10. Back To Top    #10
    Premium Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 123
    Given: 101
    Given what you said is pretty much correct about all gun safes, I would watch for Cannon safes that Tractor Supply always has on sale around this time of year. Seem to be as good as anything else and you'll get a lot of capacity for a reasonable amount of money. They have 64 and 80 gun safes for $1000 and $1200 respectively and either or both will probably go on sale sometime soon for a few hundred less than that. They also have a lifetime replacement for natural flood, attempted break-in, break-in or fire. I believe they have a 60 minute fire rating.

2 Not allowed!

11. Back To Top    #11
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,730
    Given: 1,806
    Tractor supply has an amazing sale on a 52 gun unit. I don't recall the brand might be liberty. $999 and then I've been seeing some 10% coupons flying around to go on top of that

0 Not allowed!

12. Back To Top    #12
    Gold Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Awards:
    Big Pike
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 314
    We like our liberty. +1 on making sure you have a backup way to unlock it with a keypad model. This is why we went with a manual locking mechanism. Shit happens

3 Not allowed!

13. Back To Top    #13
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 264
    Given: 153
    We picked up a Winchester Silverado 48-51, have been very happy with, came with everything we needed/wanted and then some. 2 hr fire rated at 1400 degrees, 10 gauge continuous welded steel, 1 1/2” bolts, also has internal docking station where we have our remote hard drive with family photos and what nots. And at 1300 lbs or so it won’t be walking off but is predrilled for 5/8” anchors. Got ours off gunsafes.com

0 Not allowed!

14. Back To Top    #14
    Premium Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 194
    The biggest one you can afford! I have a cannon, biggest one that tractor supply sells and really like what i got for the money. Also have a smaller stack on that is nice but not as user friendly. Remember they only hold half of what they say.

0 Not allowed!

15. Back To Top    #15
    Bronze Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 53

3 Not allowed!

16. Back To Top    #16
    Silver Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 249
    Classifieds
    I have a Cannon from TSC. For what I paid, it works. Not even close to the quality of my old mans Browning, but with safes, you really do get what you pay for.

When I was looking at them, you can pretty much put them into two categories. Fire proof and theft proof.

You can find some pretty good sales on safes that have a decent fire rating, but they usually can be broken into with minimal effort if you know what to look for.

When you step up to the models that are more theft proof, you start spending a little more money. (E.G. - Steel plate door, all active locking pins, more complex locking mechanism.)

For me, I'm not so much worried about theft as I am a fire, so that narrowed my search.

0 Not allowed!

17. Back To Top    #17
    Ultimate VIP Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,391
    Given: 809
    Never did understand the gun safe in the garage thing. More moisture to deal with and you would think theft would be easier.

2 Not allowed!

18. Back To Top    #18
    Silver Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 45
    Classifieds
    I just bought a Superior Safe this summer. They make 5 different model lines within their catalog. The differences range from steel strength to levels of fire protection. I went with the Regal Series which is 75 minute rated at 1500 degrees F. I agree with comments above regarding the manual lock, I had the option to order either way and went manual as well. I have a buddy that operates a sideline sporting business and we ordered 5 different models so he could secure the dealership for Superior. He has a few left and would like to move them. If your looking for a "better" deal on a higher quality line, send me a PM and I'll get you his contact info.

http://superiorgunsafes.com/

0 Not allowed!

19. Back To Top    #19
    VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,335
    Given: 1,123
    Walmart online has quite a few options and cheap or even free shipping.

0 Not allowed!

20. Back To Top    #20
    Bronze Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 112

Damn, thanks for the help everyone.

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast