Skinzit

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those of you who have or have used the skinzit, do you like it? The reason for asking is that is one of the items on my Christmas wish list. My wife went to Scheels to purchase one and was told by the Salesman that if I was good at filleting fish, I wouldn't need one and she would be wasting her money to make the purchase. He said that they are just another thing to have to wash, and are not worth the cost. He did make a few other suggestions and she did buy me something else. Those of you that have one are they a good investment?

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would tend to agree with the Scheels salesman. Aren't they like $150? Seems like something that would slow the process down.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love it. I only use it for taking off the skin but it's really slick and works awesome for a bunch of perch. Is it worth $150? You could ask that about everything you buy. I'd buy another one.

MULEDEER

Established Member
I have one I generally use it for taking the rib bones out. It works well on the rib bones I don’t use it for the skin. Clean up is simple pull the roller out rinse off or even just whipe it off. I could live without it but it’s kinda handy and i received it as a gift so win eitherway

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meh, it'd collect dust at my house, I'm faster with a knife, and I assume it leaves most of the dark skin side meat on the fillet, so I'd just have to make that cut with a knife anyway.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your wife went to Scheels and asked for a specific product and the dude told her it sucks. Sounds like he sucks

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bought one for my boy maybe 3 years ago, he didn't use it at first, didn't think it would work, but after he got the hang of it, he uses it all the time filleting fish, it does a good job, as for the salesman, I think if the Store Manager found out the guy would be looking for a new job

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad has one and brings it every time he goes fishing with me. They definately grab attention at the cleaning station. The fillets look a little better just like the videos but I think they are way too messy. Way more clean up than I care for.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
My impatient buddy left one (new outta the box after 1 attempted use) in some cleaning station garbage can around DL I guess. Wish I woulda been there because I would have sneekily snuck back in there and grabbed it.. "Yea im that guy no doubt!"

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you grill your Ribeyes on a Foreman, than you'd probably clean your walleyes with a skinzit.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought one for my boy maybe 3 years ago, he didn't use it at first, didn't think it would work, but after he got the hang of it, he uses it all the time filleting fish, it does a good job, as for the salesman, I think if the Store Manager found out the guy would be looking for a new job

My guess would be the Store Manager is patting this salesman on the back and telling him "good work". As stated above, he sold something else with likely a better profit margin the Skinz It device and made both himself and the store more to the bottom line!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your wife went to Scheels and asked for a specific product and the dude told her it sucks. Sounds like he sucks

Unless they were out of stock, and he was still trying to get her money a different way, I'd say he was refreshingly honest.

If he'd never used one, he probably would have tried to talk her into it.

If he did use one and didn't like it, it's actually great that he told the truth.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one that I won, otherwise I wouldn't own one. Works well on perch, and I use it to take the rib bones out on walleye fillets. Doesn't do a good job on the larger walleye fillets but on the 15" - 18" variety it works well. They do take a bit of getting use to though, I made hamburger out of the first couple fillets I used it on.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guess would be the Store Manager is patting this salesman on the back and telling him "good work". As stated above, he sold something else with likely a better profit margin the Skinz It device and made both himself and the store more to the bottom line!

what would bring in more margin than a $150 fish cleaning device?

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member

Actually this is the kind of saleman you want, he will make you far more money and bring back more customers than selling a crappy product at a huge price for himself. Take care of the customer and we will take care of you!

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crazy the commission those guys make. Seems like a waste of money for scheels but it seems to work for them.

What if OP knew he 100% wanted a skinzit. He told his wife that. His wife goes there knowing exactly what she wants and salesman talks her into something else. OP opens Christmas gift and it’s not what he wanted. Next thing u know he’s yelling at wife in front of kids. Soon enough he’s going through the big D.

Thanks a lot salesman.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76