1. Back To Top    #1
    Gold Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 369

Wirehaired Griffon

Does anyone have a wirehaired griffon? I am looking for a new dog, but am limited to a breed that the wife will not be allergic to. From what I have found, this may be a good option. I would like to see how my wife would react to being around one.

0 Not allowed!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Premium Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 102
    Classifieds
    when I had a boarding kennel a customer had one. one of the Ugliest dog I have every seen, but it listened and retrieved. the owner hunted it on upland game.

0 Not allowed!

3. Back To Top    #3

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 28
    I have two of them, they are great family and hunting dogs. I know of a litter that may be available this spring.

0 Not allowed!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Gold Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 125
    One of the finest upland dogs I've ever hunted over. We seldom walk by any critters - even in dry conditions. Great disposition and wonderful family companion.

0 Not allowed!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,337
    Given: 8,320
    Classifieds
    I have no idea if the WHG is in the stench category but I can't get over how bad some breeds of dogs stink. Good grief. Blech.

0 Not allowed!
    SkegosaurusSteering Systems Pro Staff

6. Back To Top    #6

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 9
    I have one, she's almost 9 years old and still has the energy of a pup. As far as hunting goes, she still amazes me. She started naturally pointing birds at 8 months old. She finds birds that the buddies labs run right pass (nothing against the dogs they didn't have the best trainer ), and when it comes to a foot race she blows past them like they're standing still. Be prepared for it to be riding in the backseat wherever you go, she doesn't like staying at home. I did buy a clipper and keep her hair shorter so people often mistake her for a shorthair

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by bowhunter88; 12-07-2017 at 01:11 PM.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,020
    Given: 3,302
    Classifieds
    My wife also has pet allergies. She is not allergic to our German Wirehaired Pointers, however. May be a bit easier to find a reputable breeder (there are several I know of offhand in the state) who will have upcoming litters. Griffs aren't as easy to come by.

Whichever breed you pick, please do your due diligence and research the pedigrees. I tried to help train a local guy with a Griff who had zero prey drive. He swore up and down it had hunting in its blood, but when we researched further we found out the breeder was a big show dog person. Same thing has happened with the Irish Setters. Started as a pure hunting breed, then the AKC came along and turned it into a piece of furniture.

Seems to me the best griff breeders with emphasis on hunting are out West. I believe there are some in Idaho and Washtington, in particular.

2 Not allowed!
    Remember to always practice CPR: Catch, Pickle and Refrigerate!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Premium Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 226
    Given: 216
    Classifieds
    I have 2 a 7 yo female and a 1yo male I love them best breed ever there personalitys are unbelievable they are great with kids if you have any questions a out the breed let me know I have done tons of research and I am a member of a few groups Name:  IMAG5524.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  95.4 KB

2 Not allowed!
    Nothing beats a classic!!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Bronze Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 35

I have heard nothing but great things about the Griffs. I bought a German Wirehaired Pointer this spring. The breeder did say they are supposed to be "allergy friendly". I am not allergic to dogs, so cannot tell you if this is true. They may be a little easier to find. The GWP's hair can vary greatly between blood lines. The one I have has medium coarse hair and is medium length. I am sure some of the same traits would occur in the Griffs.

0 Not allowed!