Tire chains

Turfman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for a decent set of chains to put on for ice fishing. 1/2 ton F-150. When pulling the ice castle on lake of the woods it can get a little sketchy off the plowed roads. Now that I fish with my kids I don’t wanna be shoveling or stuck! Thanks in advance

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I use the heavy duty ones with the cross bars. They seem to work much better and last a lot longer than the others.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many years ago I had a single cab S-10 short box with a 4 speed in it. I had a set something like this
pwh2435s_1000.jpg

but they had 2 sets of spikes on the chain across the tire tread. Man that thing would go thru some deep snow.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, V-Bar's.

Just remember, chains do you 100% NO GOOD if they can't reach the ice. High centered is High centered and WILL require a shovel or a tow. If your house is lower than your truck, chains will likely allow you to drag the house through whatever your truck will go through, however, it will drag and you run a real risk of doing real damage to your ice house.

Chains are a great tool, and can break, bend, and/or beat-to-shit a lot of equipment in a big hurry. Use your head and you'll love them.

Last edited:

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, V-Bar's.

Just remember, chains do you 100% NO GOOD if they can't reach the ice. High centered is High centered and WILL require a shovel or a tow. If your house is lower than your truck, chains will likely allow you to drag the house through whatever your truck will go through, however, it will drag and you run a real risk of doing real damage to your ice house.

Chains are a great tool, and can break, bend, and/or beat-to-shit a lot of equipment in a big hurry. Use your head and you'll love them.

Skis on the fish house help a ton. It’s a lot of hassle but allows you to enjoy your house when others stay home.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't buy the cheap ones, use 2 or 3 tarp straps per wheel to keep them tight, and go slow

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
my head hanger supposedly can’t handle chains

not enough clearance if you can imagine that

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put a set on the front and they will help you turn if it is really icy and plus you have the engine weight for traction. That is IF you have a 4x4. Used to do this all the time back in the day.
I agree on using tarp straps to keep the chains tight and also driving slow.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Skis on the fish house help a ton. It’s a lot of hassle but allows you to enjoy your house when others stay home.

Agree with using skis. House will ride up on the snow a little better instead of sinking and causing more drag. Actually have never found them to be much of a hassle compared to shoveling. The ones I use are drive on and back up to take them off. You can strap them on but have never found the need to do that.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Chains will really help but if you get stuck with chains your REALLY STUCK and its going to take a lot of work to get out.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put a set on the front and they will help you turn if it is really icy and plus you have the engine weight for traction. That is IF you have a 4x4. Used to do this all the time back in the day.
I agree on using tarp straps to keep the chains tight and also driving slow.

most new trucks don’t have the clearance to run chains on the front. Will tear your brake lines off real quick

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would watch the clearance as well. When someone drives by with chains on you can see the chains getting slung out away from the tire by centrifugal force.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many many moons ago before we had a 4x4 we would put chains on our 58 Ford F-250 (4x2) and we would let the air out of the tires, put the chains on, then air the tires back up. You didn't have chains flopping around then plus we had tarp straps on the outside. Left them on all winter just in case it was needed. Of course it wasn't used very often but when needede it was ready to go. Throw some weight in the box and man you could go through the snow. Had some fun times with that pickup. Still have it to this day and it was long since retired! I think it was the only vehicle that my Dad bought new. Hauled lots of grain in that bugger and it didn't have a hoist either.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
One other thing I’d like to mention is if you have a rear wheel drive vehicle they won’t do much good on your front tires. ;)

Turfman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ordered a set of v-bars today. Thanks for the help. Just getting off certain lakes can be a challenge with the ice build up. Sliding backwards is no fun and pedal to the metal is hard on shit!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 164
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76