WEN portable inverter generator reviews

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any of you have and use one of these units for the fish house, camping etc? Thoughts?
Looks like the price is like 1/2 of the gold standard Honda 2000 so am wondering if this WEN is a good alternative for 1/2 the price?
Thanks!
03ff6fbf-7424-4156-b812-5fe925808921._SR970,300_.png

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I know nothing about the WEN but before I bought one I would really like to hear it run. One of the real benefits of the Honda to me is they are pretty quiet. I would not like to have a lawn mower sitting outside my house and for sure, not your mower running next to me. Can't imagine it takes a lot of power to run a fish house so I would think that might not be much of an issue. Another major question is how do they start in the cold? People who have used the WEN will be interesting to hear from.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
WEN advertises 51 decibels at 1/4 load(although not sure of distance). I THINK that is comparable to HONDA but yes, interesting to hear from anyone who has one.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you know what you really want is a Honda, then why not just buy a Honda?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used and abused two of them in construction one is a 5000w and a smaller one 1250W I believe . Both 4 stroke , The small one starts no matter how cold, Iv'e had to give it a little sniff of either a time or two when it was brutal cold but it fired up. The 5000W gets stiff and a hard pull when it is cold so I used a blanket and a light bulb to keep them both warm at night and they always started and ran just fine. I haven't started a Honda in cold weather so nothing to compare with, Will a Honda fire up when it's -25 ? I'd guess mine are both close to 15 years old and still run good other than being a little beat up faded from the sun. I always bought junk when working abroad because thieves only steal expensive shit. When I treated myself to a new Miller bobcat welder I only got to use it a couple of times before the dirty gdfkn thieves claimed it.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a WEN 2500 watt standby generator 10 years ago and really like it. Only had to use it once for an extended time when the power was out for about a day and I used it to keep the deep freeze and fridge going along with a couple of lights. I don't know how it would compare to a Honda as far as noise level but it seems very quiet to me. I usually only start it once a year to run some Stabil through it and get the oil circulating. I put about a pint of gas in it and let it run dry and the darn thing seems to run forever on a little bit of gas. Got mine at Menards

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80