Bow String Help

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Hey all,

Now that bow season is over, im thinking of the upcoming season and going to make some upgrades to my archery gear. My first question is bow strings. I did a search on here and read the couple threads on it but they all are a couple years old and was wondering if there is something newer/better out there?

My bow currently is a mission venture (bought new in 2011 paid $550 bare bow) The strings are starting to look pretty crappy and I think they need replacing. Is there someone that does this locally that will also help tune the bow or is my only option scheels? I did look at a couple of the custom strings places but they seem to want $90+ for them, and im not entirely sure what im getting or all need. My 2nd question, is this bow still worth sticking money into or should I be looking at upgrading the bow all together?

TIA,
ktm450

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
There used to be a guy in Bismarck that made strings but it looks like he stopped doing them a couple years ago.

90 seems to be current prices on sets. I only checked a couple of places though.

If you like the bow, keep it. If you buy a used bow, you may have to replace the string anyway unless they just happen to put a new one on.

Most at places that you can buy then string and cables - all they need is the year, mfg and model of bow and they will know the string and cable length.

Where are you located? What’s local to you?

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
60X Archery

452x material. The best material for set it and forget folks. It’s one dude working out of his garage and his prices are competitive.

The bow is what you make of it. If you can shoot it well/checks off the boxes in what you want in a bow, getting a new bow is just so you can have a new toy. The newest flagship isn’t going to kill things any deader.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
my experience is go to scheels in bismarck, the guys in the bow shop there are good and it is worth the drive. I have taken mine a couple places and always end up making the drive with my bow so it shoots right. The bow clubs have guys that can help you out also and I am sure there is probably someone in the bismarck, minot, and dickenson clubs that make their own strings. I had fuse strings to begin with and I really liked them (hoyt factory) now i have vapor trails and they are ok, i think i will switch back to the fuse if they have the factory speed nocs preinstalled.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
my experience is go to scheels in bismarck, the guys in the bow shop there are good and it is worth the drive. I have taken mine a couple places and always end up making the drive with my bow so it shoots right. The bow clubs have guys that can help you out also and I am sure there is probably someone in the bismarck, minot, and dickenson clubs that make their own strings. I had fuse strings to begin with and I really liked them (hoyt factory) now i have vapor trails and they are ok, i think i will switch back to the fuse if they have the factory speed nocs preinstalled.

what are factory speed nocs?

bismarck area is where im located.

- - - Updated - - -

Thranks everyone for the advice. I wil look into the 60x archery strings. Will scheels install them?

As far as the bow goes, i like it.. it does what i want to do for the most part. It seems as of recently, my field tip practice arrows are spot on, but my broadheads have totally $hit the bed (4” right and 4” down). What would cause that to happen? They used to follow each other perfectly?

I know im going to have to start over with the new string and sighting in but im trying to figure out if my arrows or something else is causing this to be funky? Have a QAD rest, and shoot g5 Montec 100grain broadheads and shooting 100 grain bullet tip for practice, even tried the g4 montec practice broadheads and have the same results.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
My bow did that a couple years ago. Went from shooting great to broadheads was off. Turns out I had a couple cracked limbs.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
what are factory speed nocs?

bismarck area is where im located.

- - - Updated - - -

Thranks everyone for the advice. I wil look into the 60x archery strings. Will scheels install them?

As far as the bow goes, i like it.. it does what i want to do for the most part. It seems as of recently, my field tip practice arrows are spot on, but my broadheads have totally $hit the bed (4” right and 4” down). What would cause that to happen? They used to follow each other perfectly?

I know im going to have to start over with the new string and sighting in but im trying to figure out if my arrows or something else is causing this to be funky? Have a QAD rest, and shoot g5 Montec 100grain broadheads and shooting 100 grain bullet tip for practice, even tried the g4 montec practice broadheads and have the same results.

yours should have a string grub (not sure if that’s the correct term - just what I call it) on it near the bottom cam. That can be transferred to the new string if you want. It acts in the same manner as speed nocks.

my dad has the same bow as you so I am familiar with it.

as far as the arrows and broad heads go, could be just a tuning issue or something more.

I’ll send you a pm after a bit.

HuntingGriffs

Just ordered a set of winners choice strings for my nitrum through Scheels in Bismarck. The guy on the phone spoke very highly of them

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Thanks guys for the info, i have sent a few messages off to these buisnesses, just waiting to here back.

pics of the bow and arrows

Attachments

B986F727-E445-4CC0-BC23-8B8099B52132.jpg B14349DA-2775-461F-92DA-094713FFB254.jpg EDB0E3BD-0D53-4C96-BB9D-BE0BF920E0CB.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74