Recommended Books?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer them based on true events, but not manditory. I don’t mind business improvement stuff either. I figure it’s better than more screen time before bed.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unintended Consequences, John Ross.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Capture.jpg

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I reading a book for a college class called Black Elk Speaks. A writer from Nebraska interviews a Lakota medicine man in 1930. His stories are very interesting, and at times funny. I'm not done with it yet but gives you a unique perspective of growing up during the time of Custer from inside a Lakota camp.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve been reading the killing series books by o’reilly and Martin Dugard. Read killing Lincoln, killing Kennedy, killing Reagan, and now I’m reading killing Patton. I like history stuff like that.

Srputz

Founding Member
Founding Member
THE HUNT by Gary Paulson. Just finished it. Good read

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
"the good soldiers" and "thank you for your service". Based on true events, but I'm biased since they're about my brother.

Also "Jungle fishing misadventures". Also biased, friend of ours wrote it, is about his many fishing trips to the amazon. Stories of disentary, being kidnapped by natives, and of course giant peacock bass and other river monsters.

Those are the only 3 books i've read that aren't boring science stuff or field guides.

Last edited:

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like to read books about true events also, and my reading interests mostly center around Native American and Sports stuff. My wife is a high school librarian so I have access, plus by law she is required to order X amount of new books per year and if student requests don't meet her quota then I usually come up with a list. I have read all of these and would recommend them if they are topics anyone is interested in.

Empire of the Summer Moon- S. C. Gwynne
The Lakota Way- Joseph M. Marshall II, just two chapters in, but is a good read centered around humility, respect, honor, love, bravery, etc
The Journey of Crazy Horse- Joseph M. Marshall III
I Am a Man- Joe Starita
Geronimo Leadership Strategies of an American Warrior- Mike Leach (WSU football coach) and Buddy Levy
The White Indian Boy- Elijah Nicholas Wilson (the exact book my wife got was The White Indian Boy and Return of the White Indian Boy, I think this may be two books in one not sure...but great read and a lot of historical information about Jackson/Wilson area of WY)
The Gauntlet Runner- S. Thomas Bailey (Historical Fiction based on French and Indian War)
How Lucky You Can Be- Buster Olney
Wooden: A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court- John Wooden
The Animal Keepers- Donn Behnke

I will also second Rowdie's Black Elk Speaks as I have read that as well.

I read Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy because in one of the other books I read they recommended it...I HATED it...can't believe I finished it, but I was hoping the one guy would die a terrible death in the end so maybe that is why I kept reading...

Meelosh...having the wife order The Tiger tomorrow!

Last edited:

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just finished this book, incredible true story..........
Capture1.jpg

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always been a history guy so I stayed away from fiction but I kinda like the Brad Meltzer stuff. At least most of it. The Beecher White series is fun. Haven’t started the new George Washington one yet.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I reading a book for a college class called Black Elk Speaks. A writer from Nebraska interviews a Lakota medicine man in 1930. His stories are very interesting, and at times funny. I'm not done with it yet but gives you a unique perspective of growing up during the time of Custer from inside a Lakota camp.

I read that one too, then learned that much was omitted/altered/fabricated. I still recommend reading it, but follow up with “Nicholas Black Elk” which is a better and more accurate portrayal that clarifies a number of things from “Black Elk Speaks.”

“Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintanance” is pretty fantastic and is local. 1950’s autobiographical novel about existential philosophy, schizophrenia, and a road trip across MN/ND/SD/MT/WA/CA. All topics of discussion revolve around a theme of Motorcycle maintainable. It’s as crazy and awesome as it sounds.

“Ordinary Men” By Christopher Browning, I think. Addresses the question of how ordinary dudes carry out genocide. Lots of WWII historical stuff.

“Extreme Ownership” by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin. Absolutely fantastic book on leadership principles in life and business, with anecdotal combat examples from a couple Navy Seal commanders. Also, Jocko podcast is best podcast. Period.

Last edited:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a few suggestions..here are a couple written by my wife's cousins:
Lead, follow, or get out of the way by Mitch Seavey
Born to Mush by Dallas Seavey(Mitch's son) both multiple winners of the Iditarod sled dog race.

Then of course you can't go wrong with anything from John Grisham.

Deep Forks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just finished 'America Buffalo' by Steven Rinella. It was excellent, he documents his hunt for free range Bison in Alaska and also dives deep into the history of the animal and all they've been through. Also recommend the Sackett series by North Dakota born author Louis L'aMour, though these 'Sackett' books are fiction they're still worth checking out. His writing is superb.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
THE HUNT by Gary Paulson. Just finished it. Good read

Gary Paulsen also wrote “WinterDance”. It’s about him picking up dogsledding and eventually running the Iditarod. It’s got all the feels but what I remember most is that some parts were freaking hysterical.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Ultimate Evil, a book about the Son of Sam killer in NYC, and the ties to Minot and Bismarck, and the devil worshipers in the late seventies. A few of you might remember all the weird shit that went on in Hillside park and St. Mary's cemetery, and Mary College back then

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 121
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 71