big pike gear...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have a 5 day trip booked to last mtn lake in sask this summer... the 2 guys going with me want to spend some time going after a trophy pike, and the thought of it is kinda getting me revved up too... so, do i buy musky gear (rod and reel), or go with my heavier walleye gear and assume that that will do the trick??? fwiw, i don't have any real heavy gear now, but wouldn't mind adding a piece not over about $300...

i landed a 46" pike up there on walleye gear last trip up, and know there are giants... just would hate to miss a pic of a lifetime because of the wrong equipment... the medium light 6 footer with #6 spiderwire was about at it's max with that last big girl...

what say you??? any recommendations appreciated...

thanks...

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d get 6’ 6” or 7’ MH baitcast rod with a descent reel and some 30lb braid with leader material of your choice.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree. The musky gear isn’t necessary as it’s just too heavy. A 7’ to 7 1/2’ MH baitcaster is perfect. I like a low profile baitcaster for casting all day. It’s easier on your hand than the round C-3 type reel.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I chase pike every year and have been on a few Canadian trips. My go to is a single piece 9'6" Tackle Industries Rod with a Shimano Calcutta real. That might push your $300 budget (probably closer to $400). I also have a 7'6" and an 8'6" TI rods both with C3 6500's that have proven to be pretty good and should be able to be had for $200-$250. I would go for the longest rod you can stomach. It'll make winging big pike baits all day much easier. Bait wise, heavy duty spinner baits, some super cisco's, and a bunch of Mini D and Regular D swim baits should get you a pretty good start. don't forget a couple pairs of jaw spreaders, 60-80lb power pro or the like, and I prefer good fluorocarbon leaders. Enjoy!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I really like the storm series pike swim baits, they always work pretty good and of course some of the trusty dare devils in the various colers and some meps. Just remember that when fishing canada, any of your hooks that have barbes, the barbs will need to be filed off or pinched shut.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a musky rod you can use for the trip if you don't want to buy a rig for a one time trip. You pay the shipping and I'll drop it in the mail. I used it to sling big buck tail spinners and suicks, but haven't used it for a few years. Then all you need is a reel. Let me know if you're interested. I might even be able to bring it to you when I head up there for paddle drinking.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
I chase pike every year and have been on a few Canadian trips. My go to is a single piece 9'6" Tackle Industries Rod with a Shimano Calcutta real. That might push your $300 budget (probably closer to $400). I also have a 7'6" and an 8'6" TI rods both with C3 6500's that have proven to be pretty good and should be able to be had for $200-$250. I would go for the longest rod you can stomach. It'll make winging big pike baits all day much easier. Bait wise, heavy duty spinner baits, some super cisco's, and a bunch of Mini D and Regular D swim baits should get you a pretty good start. don't forget a couple pairs of jaw spreaders, 60-80lb power pro or the like, and I prefer good fluorocarbon leaders. Enjoy!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I really like the storm series pike swim baits, they always work pretty good and of course some of the trusty dare devils in the various colers and some meps. Just remember that when fishing canada, any of your hooks that have barbes, the barbs will need to be filed off or pinched shut.

thanks, i'll have to check on that... the last time i was up there i thought that only applied to their "trophy lakes"... i know we pinched at tobin, but didn't think we did at other lakes...

- - - Updated - - -

I have a musky rod you can use for the trip if you don't want to buy a rig for a one time trip. You pay the shipping and I'll drop it in the mail. I used it to sling big buck tail spinners and suicks, but haven't used it for a few years. Then all you need is a reel. Let me know if you're interested. I might even be able to bring it to you when I head up there for paddle drinking.

thanks bud, i appreciate that... but like i said i'm kinda getting a little geeked up at the thought of it, and who doesn't need another rod and reel... thinking bout what ahab said to, and it would b nice to have a long rod to run a dead stick out of the bow when pulling rigs with 4 in the boat... thinking i could throw a 3 or 4 oz bottom bouncer on that rod and keep it short and out far enough to not interfere with people in the back...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76