NDDOT land question

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fair game for hunting? I can only assume my
tax dollars paid for it so is it open? Not posted anyway so I’m going in I’d say regardless..

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are we talking road right-of-ways? Or something else? Better than average chance you’d miss your target anyways.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m talking parcels of land say 5-10 acres that are listed as NDDOT as owners of said land

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
NDDOT has to replace wetlands lost due to road construction in some cases so they have to lease or buy wetland mitigation property to replace those lost wetlands. Keep it your own little secret and hunt it.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
NDDOT has to replace wetlands lost due to road construction in some cases so they have to lease or buy wetland mitigation property to replace those lost wetlands. Keep it your own little secret and hunt it.

That would make complete sense, thanks!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
And yes our tax dollars paid for it and it's a good thing I wish there was more of it. I have the opinion that a bunch of spread out habitat areas with water and a nearby food source is better than one big chunk of native grassland.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Disclaimer: IF that's all you have to work with. Wide open sky and undisturbed native land would be nice but we are North Dakota , We only have so much to work with .

- - - Updated - - -

End. Of. Thread. Remember, blue platers are reading this :)

ya beet mi too ti

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are lots of acres of land in ND that are owned by the state for roadways that are legally open to hunting even if it is not necessarily the wisest of places to hunt.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hell you can stand in the median of the interstate and blaze away if you want. If you really want to be goofy with it you can do it standing a hundred feet from somebody's house ....not saying it's a good idea but it is in the end legal.

Mil0281

Hell you can stand in the median of the interstate and blaze away if you want. If you really want to be goofy with it you can do it standing a hundred feet from somebody's house ....not saying it's a good idea but it is in the end legal.
If both sides road posted it’s illegal to road right of way

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not true in all cases^^^ a high % of right of ways on paved roads are owned by the state or county

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
It used to be and as far as i know still is, if the land is posted then the right of way (ditches) are posted in NoDak.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty much but it can get a bit sketchy on some of the small stuff. normally A good rule of thumb is if the county mows it the county owns it. It's sort of like the 440 rule lots and lots of hunters think it's a law that applies to all situations but in reality it's doesn't. For instance 440 only applies on private ground you don't have permission for any other land you're on you could be right next to a guy's house without permission....baring signs specifically forbidding it. Mind you that 440 one comes in mighty handy when hunting the river.

As for the interstate analogy one time back in the mid-90s probably about 1 in the afternoon on opening day of deer season my dad and I came across a group of guys that were doing a deer Drive in the median of the interstate. You ever take that chunk that cuts through painted Canyon there's a point there where the interstate splits and there's trees between the lanes and they were doing a deer Drive in there and they actually were in the process of gutting a deer when we went past. They did also give us one of the most hilarious visual of an nice Buck running across the Interstate in front of us and then watching him try to jump over the fence and needless to say his calculations were off by about four feet of vertical height cuz he smashed into that fence like a ton of s*** hit the ground and looked kind of a bit dazed and then just ran down the edge. This is the stretch of trees and brush I was talking about.

Attachments

Screenshot_20190216-224121.jpg
Last edited:

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
End. Of. Thread. Remember, blue platers are reading this :)

I really hope some day you have children, that grow up and move out of state. You will then realize how immature you really are for saying things like that.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It used to be and as far as i know still is, if the land is posted then the right of way (ditches) are posted in NoDak.

Here's the difference. If the govt pays for an easement, it is land still owned by the adjacent landowner. If the State of Feds actually purchased the land, it is open to hunting. There is NO passage in ND law that allows an adjoining landowner to post land that does NOT belong to them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75