Which Fieldcraft for moose/elk?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since this winter is going to kill all the deer in ND and all the land will be posted (except to outfitters) after this legislative session, I’m considering hunting out of state. As long as I’m hunting out of state, I may as well chase elk or moose.

So which Barret Fieldcraft for elk/moose? (Anything that’s not a Fieldcraft is basically a sharp stick.) They don’t make it in magnum.

Long action:
30-06
25-06
6.5x55 Swede

Short action:
7-08
6.5 Cr
6 Cr
22-250

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
22-250 w/new 77gn Barnes LRX.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since this winter is going to kill all the deer in ND and all the land will be posted (except to outfitters) after this legislative session, I’m considering hunting out of state. As long as I’m hunting out of state, I may as well chase elk or moose.

So which Barret Fieldcraft for elk/moose? (Anything that’s not a Fieldcraft is basically a sharp stick.) They don’t make it in magnum.

Long action:
30-06
25-06
6.5x55 Swede

Short action:
7-08
6.5 Cr
6 Cr
22-250

the deer will be fine . What difference will that law make ? Even when I used to draw tags I would never hunt other land without permission even if it wasn’t posted . I think it’s a good proposal and I hope it passes . Won’t that give hunters more peace of mind if they just know exactly where they are and know for sure that they have permission instead of driving down the road and wanting to shoot a buck or a bird and wondering if it’s posted? Just my 2 cents . As for elk and moose I hope you have good luck . My go to for elk is .300 wsm with 180 grain NP

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Buy a good knife so you can sharpen your fieldcraft stick real pointy.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
the deer will be fine . What difference will that law make ? Even when I used to draw tags I would never hunt other land without permission even if it wasn’t posted . I think it’s a good proposal and I hope it passes . Won’t that give hunters more peace of mind if they just know exactly where they are and know for sure that they have permission instead of driving down the road and wanting to shoot a buck or a bird and wondering if it’s posted? Just my 2 cents . As for elk and moose I hope you have good luck . My go to for elk is .300 wsm with 180 grain NP

burns.png
Yesss, Yesss....we are indeed in need of another 55 page thread on the proposed laws...

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Any caliber that will turn 35# of bone a muscle into pure shit will work. That's what I was told by an old mountain man once.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Excellent answer to the op’s question! Wait. Nope.

- - - Updated - - -

If you buy a 30-06 I’m gonna kick you right in the gunt, bed wetter

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
6.5 creed pushing 143 ELD-X turnes internal organs into a nice soupy mix on mule deer bucks. My wife shot her buck two seasons ago with her Browning Hells Canyon LRH 6.5creed and when we opened it up to gut it everything inside the chest cavity was decimated... Should work fine on an elk too. Hopefully I get a chance to try it out this fall..

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
6.5 creed pushing 143 ELD-X turnes internal organs into a nice soupy mix on mule deer bucks. My wife shot her buck two seasons ago with her Browning Hells Canyon LRH 6.5creed and when we opened it up to gut it everything inside the chest cavity was decimated... Should work fine on an elk too. Hopefully I get a chance to try it out this fall..

Yep that’s my experience with dee. Fourth time is the charm I hope to report on elk this year

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't you already have one of these in 6.5 Creed? That would seem to be the answer.
The 127 Barnes LRX is an unapologetic killer. Keep your shots within 500 yards and in the vitals, and you'll be fine.

If you're set on getting another rifle, I won't blame you, but I don't like any of the other options much. They don't offer much of an advantage over what you already have. You'd have to jump up to a magnum of some kind to see a real difference.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a Magnum made by them? Sounds like junk to me

- - - Updated - - -

Except the 25/06 and 270

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member

If Om not mistaken, 6.5 Swede would allow for about 10% more powder. And another Fieldcraft.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't you already have one of these in 6.5 Creed? That would seem to be the answer.
The 127 Barnes LRX is an unapologetic killer. Keep your shots within 500 yards and in the vitals, and you'll be fine.

If you're set on getting another rifle, I won't blame you, but I don't like any of the other options much. They don't offer much of an advantage over what you already have. You'd have to jump up to a magnum of some kind to see a real difference.

Yes, I already have a 21” 6.5 Creedhiroshima. I also just came into an 18” .308 Fieldcraft. But maybe I need a new different one for elk/moose. I know some guys tag elk with 6.5 Creedhiroshima but I’d hate to be tiptoeing on the line of acceptable caliber with the cost, time, and effort involved in such a hunt.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74