3 bank charger

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a Minn Kota 3 bank/5 amp (MK315D) on my last boat for almost 8 years with no issues (sold the boat). New boat has a Minn Kota Precision 3 bank/10 amp (MK330PC) that has been working fine. Whatever you get, I recommend getting at least 10 amp/bank if you fish multiple days in a row. When I had the 5 amp/bank, it would sometimes still be charging early in the morning if it was plugged in the night before. With the 10 amp/bank, it's always finished by morning.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a minnkota 3 bank 15 amp for three years and it’s been flawless. Don’t go less than ten amp

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If I may branch off of this topic for a minute I have a question...

I have a 2 bank in my boat that only charges my trolling motor batteries. My starter battery gets drawn down because of running my finders (and charging wife's and kids phones!) all day without using my motor much (I rarely make long runs).
If I upgrade, how hard would it be to hook the starter battery to it? My current charger is located up front in the compartment that houses the trolling motor batteries on a newer Ranger.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I may branch off of this topic for a minute I have a question...

I have a 2 bank in my boat that only charges my trolling motor batteries. My starter battery gets drawn down because of running my finders (and charging wife's and kids phones!) all day without using my motor much (I rarely make long runs).
If I upgrade, how hard would it be to hook the starter battery to it? My current charger is located up front in the compartment that houses the trolling motor batteries on a newer Ranger.

Either way, you’re buying a new charger. Either a single bank or a 3 bank. If you go 3 bank, you can buy an extension to reach your cranking battery.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I kind of prefer to not charge my trolling batteries and the starting battery off of the same charger. This is actually easy to do by adding a single bank charger for the starting battery and using an electrical adapter that sends power to both chargers.

That being said, I have had good luck with both Guess and Minnkota onboard chargers.

3geese4me

Honored Member
Allen,

Why don't you like charging them off the same charger? I am still in the planning phase and have lots of time to get it how I want it before the boat gets here. I didn't even order the boat with any electronics or trolling motor as I wanted to research first before committing.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am curious too -- - out all of ya i have the most amps cranking back to my starting battery (etec) ; however i hooked up my starting batter too. The bank just goes straight to green but its their if i need it

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks DM, I never thought about just putting a single on. I could mount it wherever I wanted then. I was concerned about running cables through the length of the boat from the charger up front to the starting battery in back...

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am curious why Allen says no to the 3 bank --- I rarely need that 3rd bank - however I have it when in case if i do -- they each separately charge (at least that is my understanding)

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had the minnkota 345 precision on the last two boats. 15 amps per bank had her charged up by the next morning. Shorthair, get a single bank and then one of these:
extension cord.jpg

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have two trolling motor batteries running a three bank with the third bank to starting battery is the best scenario. All three banks are independent from one another in regards to both charging and sensing the charge state of the batteries

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen,

Why don't you like charging them off the same charger? I am still in the planning phase and have lots of time to get it how I want it before the boat gets here. I didn't even order the boat with any electronics or trolling motor as I wanted to research first before committing.

Not really sure why other than I like to see the batteries matched. I have a 24V bowmount, so a 2-bank charger takes care of them and of course, they should be equally drawn down when I plug in the boat. Whereas the starting battery should, at most, need to just be topped off.

I have no evidence that this provides a benefit.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought deep cycle batterys were only supposed to be slow charged 10 amp or less, wouldnt a 15 to 30 amp charger be hard on deep cycle batterys? I am in the market for a onboard charger but am hesitant to get anything over 10 amps/

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74