Best time of year to buy a new pickup?

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
are the previous years closeouts really any cheaper? curious for input thx

Sparky2_1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dave Smith motors in kellog Idaho has deals on trucks that I have never seen before. I am getting close to buying one from there. I also checked out the Ford dealer in corpus christy texas. Can buy a king ranch about 10,000 cheaper than any dealer around here.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dave Smith motors in kellog Idaho has deals on trucks that I have never seen before. I am getting close to buying one from there. I also checked out the Ford dealer in corpus christy texas. Can buy a king ranch about 10,000 cheaper than any dealer around here.

As soon as you mention where your going to title it -- the savings disapears in TX. Dave Smith - my brother buys every vehicle from D Smith - again the rebate and all that bs follows your residency. then it depends on what daves kickbacks are --- i am sometimes surprised of what a guy gets here its all in the manufacturers holdback/incentives that they provide the dealer.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
As soon as you mention where your going to title it -- the savings disapears in TX. Dave Smith - my brother buys every vehicle from D Smith - again the rebate and all that bs follows your residency.
tell me more

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In the fall there is usually good discounts around September.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The only reason those trucks are so cheap in Id and Tx is because they go through trucks like water. 2 years ago I drove rite past Idaho Dave Smith and ther was trucks as far as the eye could see and about 14 parking lots scattered across a 5 mile stretch with every truck color and option you could think of.... problem with not buying local is when you have warranty issues the local dealers like to treat you a little different when you didn't buy from them- - so for that reason I buy local....I just picked up my 2019 duramax in October of 2018 that had a deal goin on 10g off and with my employee discount was 63g out the door. I buy LOCAL so I get treated like a local. 20181003_174359.jpg

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Best time of the year is when you find a deal you like. Bought a new pickup in July, $11,000 rebate or incentive. One rule was you had to finance for at least 4 years through GMAC. Could not payoff quicker than 6 months I think. Low interest rate so even if you had the cash at time of purchase it cost very little to wait 6 months to pay off. Have seen similar incentives since. And usually they don't cover all models. Depends on what they have of an excess in the inventory.

A good deal is one where both the buyer and seller are happy with. Do have to admit that I am not a good shopper. When I decide I need something I'm not interested in running all over the country and shopping to save a couple hundred dollars. Wife and I do not shop well together.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
tell me more

you disagree? I even bought in bismarck -- they added a rebate that bis people didnt get --- your rebates are based on zip code of residence or where you are going to title it. TX is no different. W/o rebate or incentive then no issue.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
"problem with not buying local is when you have warranty issues the local dealers like to treat you a little different when you didn't buy from them- - so for that reason I buy local....I just picked up my 2019 duramax in October of 2018 that had a deal goin on 10g off and with my employee discount was 63g out the door. I buy LOCAL so I get treated like a local."
we bought same mini van 7k cheaper in Aberdeen SD than in Bismarck. havent needed the warranty treatment yet. time will tell i guess

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well for some reason when it comes to warranty issues for me in the past if you don't buy from a local dealer you get nothing but grief when you want something fixed that should be covered under warranty...whether it's side x sides, snowmobiles, atvs or boats or trucks. I never really had a issue with vehicles cause I never really keep mine longer than a few years but I have had issues with atvs and snowmobiles and for that reason and all the grief I got in the past I found it easier to buy local

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard the buy
LOCAL!!
BULLSHIT --- I had the oil burning chevy pickup --- the local dealer was awesome--- i went through the whole GMC (Obama motors) required fixes and in the end they called me and said come on over we have a new engine on the pallet.

The dealers make money on repairs --- -they are also required to treat customers regardless where they came from as one.

When did i have a problem -- when i did buy local --- the local honda dealer gave me a run around on a warranty issue --- I called honda and the dealer's knees were bloody from kissing my ass. Local doesnt do shit in this world folks.

Just like Lund isnt your daddys lund anymore!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Well for some reason when it comes to warranty issues for me in the past if you don't buy from a local dealer you get nothing but grief when you want something fixed that should be covered under warranty...whether it's side x sides, snowmobiles, atvs or boats or trucks. I never really had a issue with vehicles cause I never really keep mine longer than a few years but I have had issues with atvs and snowmobiles and for that reason and all the grief I got in the past I found it easier to buy local

Why would a dealer do this -- if they do -- i want nothing to do with them --- either

a. the product is shit and doesnt deserve buying as the manufacturer doesnt give a shit what the dealer does
b. you have a dealer that doesnt care about anything

I want a manufacturer that cares about the product they are selling and if i am somewhere out of with my boat or atv hunting -- and i need something done -- they care and they only instill good dealers that work on me. With the internet now days --- you dont have a prayer if you a bad dealer or manufacturer --- we have seen it on here.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you wait for the right deal, you can by brand new holdover trucks for what they are charging for 2 year old used trucks with 35k. They will have to be getting rid of the 2018’s pretty quickly as 2019’s are on the lot. 3 years ago right now, I bought a holdover 2015 GMC Sierra for $32,500 had an msrp of $45,000. This was in ND although the Bismarck dealer wouldn’t come close to matching price for the exact same truck.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably now if you don't mind buying a 2018 holdover if you find what you want. Or July-September seems to be when the better deals are when they start clearing inventory for new year models.

I tried numerous dealers in ND and saved a good amount of money going to Minneapolis and buying. Gave the local dealers numerous chances to come close to price within $1000 and none of them would come close.

I like buying local as much as I can but I saved a month's paycheck going elsewhere. Also if a dealer gives you hell or bad treatment for warranty work a call or email to chevy/Ford whatever you have, gets things straighten out pretty quick.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the best key to buying a new vertical is dont be in a hurry. If you have to go buy right now you'll have to shop. My current truck is a 2014 bought in Feb of 15. Eide was trying to get rid of inventory because 15 is when the aluminum bodied trucks were coming out. Got a loaded customized f150 by Waldoch for 15k less than the newer ones. Haven't had a complaint and they have treated me well. Started looking for a new SUV for my wife about that time. Finally bought one last month with 15k miles for almost half of the cost of a new one. Took 3yrs not constantly looking to find one that had everything she wanted and was a good deal.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
One "cost" that is overlooked when buying close-out or year end inventory is the year of depreciation a vehicle undergoes just sitting on the lot. You may save money at the time of purchase but may loose it when you go to sell it. Unless you plan on keeping it and running it until the tires fall off. Trucks do better at retaining value than passenger cars.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe short is right about the area you live in determining your rebates. I bought mine from a dealer in Nebraska a couple years ago and IIRC there were some rebates available in the Kansas City region that weren't available in the MPLS region but it was only a couple hundred dollars I believe. Cars.com is fun to play around - I got mine about 15k off MSRP. Obviously your choices are more limited with holdovers but you'll probably save a few grand. I'd also check around on financing - usually you need to use the manufacturer's financing to get all the rebates - Ford was around 6 %, Dealer did their shopping and offered 3.5, I called gate city and they had 2.9 - told the salesman and he said I'll see if any of our lenders will top it but I doubt it - he called back about 10 minutes later with 1.9 from capital one. Had to give up about $500 in rebates but seemed like a no brainer. My credit score is pretty good so I'm sure that helps.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I bought my truck the business guy said I had to keep the ford financing for 3 months but had American bank center lined up for me after that at 1.9. Ibelieve I got 500 or 1k for using ford off. My salesman informed me that the 3mnths only effected their commission and that as soon as paperwork was signed I got the rebate and could switch it. I called American and they switched it over immediately.

- - - Updated - - -

Gate city does have really low rates and the kids love the cookies. I was really impressed when I financed my camper threw them and opened up my sons first bank account when he started mowing lawns. After dealing with them for a couple years they I found they will find a way to try and f you and charge extra fees. I go in and deposit a check each month for my payment. Generally I put in quite a bit more than my min and have them apply it so I can pay it off faster. Life got busy and had the wife go make the payments for a few months and she only paid what the coupon book stated. They decided to try and take the higher amount out of my account each month and paid it but charged me over draft fees. This continued until I was 500 in the whole and they finally decided to call me to make sure I got caught up. They didnt want to fix anything until I asked them to show me a signature starting they could take more out of my account each month. Not that the dealerships are always the most truthful but I was told there are often similar issues with Gatecity.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74