Words of Wisdom

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
As I get older I like to pass on words of wisdom to todays younger people. During my 20s and 30s I thought I knew it all, and often thought those offering their wisdom to me were just soft. I never listened to those with more wisdom (experience) than me. Looking back I sacrificed a lot of family time and missed too many of my kids activities. You younger members....there are some very wise men/women on this site. I'm hoping they chime in and share their life lessons.

52592472_602715650176345_1405224462147649536_n.jpg

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well said. When you look at your young kids and think, "I cannot wait for them to grow up", your in for a big surprise. Because guess what? They do. Then they go to college and get married. Then you have to move down the bench cuz now they got priorities too. That song "cats in the cradle" is all to true.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was young all the older people kept saying "you have to pay your dues". Then as time went on and talking to people they know they never paid their dues. It was a sham to get you to work your ass off. What a sucker I was. Twelve weeks of the year I worked from 5:00am to 8:00pm with no overtime of compensation time. What a sucker I was. My first year I worked from March 2 to September 15 week-ends and holidays with only two days off when my oldest son was born. What a sucker I was. The harder I worked the better they looked. What a sucker I was.

That song "cats in the cradle" is all to true.
True, true, true.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If its got tits or tires sooner or later your going to have trouble with it.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a good education so you can get a job that pays well. Work smart, not hard. Start saving for retirement early. Don't live like you are invincible, you only get 1 body and it is all you have to work with for the duration. If you abuse it when you are young, you will suffer when you get older.

Agree 100% with the comments about enjoying your kids while they are with you.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
if shit gets real, it's better to b judged by 12 than carried by 6...:gotone:

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I told both my kids to think their education backwards. First figure out where you want to live, so you can do the things you want to do for recreation. Get an education for a job that pays well in that area. Its the things you do outside of work that keep your life in balance that will make you happy.

Doesn't matter if you are an orthopedic surgeon making 500k/year, or you pick corn out of peoples shit for a living. By the time you are 40 it's all the same, and you look forward to doing the things that make life good.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bully's don't like to bleed. Learned that in my freshman year in high school. What ever evened the odds was fair game.

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well said. When you look at your young kids and think, "I cannot wait for them to grow up", your in for a big surprise. Because guess what? They do. Then they go to college and get married. Then you have to move down the bench cuz now they got priorities too. That song "cats in the cradle" is all to true.

The problem with being able to enjoy the kids is that the damn schools don't let them be kids anymore or give them the time to be enjoyed. I am helping my 15 yr old tonight write a 2 page resume and a cover letter for a career he thinks he may enjoy when he is older. It has to be emailed to the teacher tonight and he is supposed to check his email in the morning for notations and make corrections. This was assigned on Friday. What 15 yr old should know what he wants as a career let alone be able to make up a resume with college degrees, work experience, references, etc... And why the hell does it need to be emailed in on a Sunday night??

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
you will do alot of things that you dont realize are the best times until you look back on them

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem with being able to enjoy the kids is that the damn schools don't let them be kids anymore or give them the time to be enjoyed. I am helping my 15 yr old tonight write a 2 page resume and a cover letter for a career he thinks he may enjoy when he is older. It has to be emailed to the teacher tonight and he is supposed to check his email in the morning for notations and make corrections. This was assigned on Friday. What 15 yr old should know what he wants as a career let alone be able to make up a resume with college degrees, work experience, references, etc... And why the hell does it need to be emailed in on a Sunday night??
That is total bullshit. Imho

campchef

Honored Member
Over the years I have gathered a few didbits of advice. Some are original, some are stolen

WORDS OF WISDOM FROM THE OLD MAN
Don’t be afraid of life, be afraid of an unlived life. You don’t have to live forever, you just have to live.

One day your life will flash before your eyes. MAKE IT WORTH WATCHING!

I have found that the best things in life are: Your spouse (when you find the right one) Your Children, All the people you love, the places you’ve seen, the dogs that impacted your life and the memories you’ve made along the way.

Be a good friend. Don’t be cheap, carry your own weight and share your beer and bourbon and pack an extra sandwich or two.

We frequently put on lots of miles to fulfill our passion, offer to drive-if you don’t drive pay for the gas.

You can criticize a man’s wife to a degree but his kids and dogs are off limits. If you want to maintain a healthy, lasting relationship with your buddies, you will never speak ill of his kids or dogs.

Common sense is not a gift, it is punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn’t have it. Believe me, there’s a shitload of morons out there.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

“Life is not the way it is supposed to be. It’s the way it is. The way we cope with it is what makes the difference”
“What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.”

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter, don’t mind, and those that mind, don’t matter.

Danger is real -- Fear is a choice

I’ve heard “exercise makes you look better naked” so does bourbon, your choice.

Never trust a woman who doesn’t fart. You can never be sure of what else she’s holding back from you

When you find someone with their head up their ass, it’s best to leave it there

Always remember to load your brain before you shoot off your mouth. Don’t do something permanently stupid just because you are temporarily upset.

I told myself I should stop drinking. But I’m not about to listen to an old drunk who talks to himself.

“Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened”

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Dad always used to say, " If you make a mistake but learn from it, it is now a lesson. If you don't learn from it and make the same dumb decision again, it is a mistake". In other words learn from the dumb things you do so you don't do it again. You know like the subject "HISTORY". To many don't learn from the past and continue doing the same dumb things again and again.

Last edited:

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just saw something this weekend that has actually had a profound effect on me. It talks about snow but really, you could insert anything in place of that and it makes sense:

”if you don’t find joy in the snow, you will have a lot less joy and the same amount of snow”

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75