Lots of anglers stranded on mil lacs

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Assuming you have heat, drinking water is possibly the biggest concern.

I wonder if a person had chains, went slow and just let the truck chew it's way along if they could make it off or not? Chains are amazing, but, they don't work if they can't reach the ground/ice. High centered is high centered.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bad thing about packing in all those houses is they just create a big snow catch. Generally out there lots of guys have snow plows on their trucks. One would think they could work themselves off.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bad thing about packing in all those houses is they just create a big snow catch. Generally out there lots of guys have snow plows on their trucks. One would think they could work themselves off.

In blizzard conditions ? They should learn to watch and pay attention to the weather next time

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
hard to even move snow with a blade if you have no traction. bet it's quite the shit show

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
They had been forecasting those conditions for days, there is literally no excuse to be out there and get stranded unprepared . I was up on Winnipeg, rather than head out 4-5 miles to the mouth, we waited until it was light out and visibility was pretty good, we just ventured off shore about a mile so we weren't so far out if something went wrong. We were in a SxS with cab/heat/tracks so getting stuck wasn't really a concern, we also had 2 propane tanks, 2 heaters, 2 jet boil stoves and plenty of food and drink.

No way would i have ventured out in a truck or anything with wheels, trails were drifted shut.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
At least some of these guys booked trip through a guide service. They have been trying to get out there but they broke some plows down. These guide services are somewhat liable I would think. Chains will help. I would just use two trucks with chains, and keep pulling the lead pickup out.

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's one thing if it was some sort of surprise and the weather was worse than predicted. If you are going to go 20+ miles off shore with a storm like that predicted at LOW you should pack for a couple extra days and bring a backup for pretty much everything.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The mentality of i will just call 911 and put another in harms way to rescue when all it took was a look at the weather and stay at home. Yeah i am perfect to realize that. I think they should be charged huge $$$$ for that type of rescue.

- - - Updated - - -

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesot...100-anglers-are-stranded-on-lake-of-the-woods

- - - Updated - - -

check out that video with the ice castle :;:help

No way I would have been way out on LOW with a wind forecast like that. Dumb

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife's coworker was stranded on a lake somewhere this weekend. They spent the weekend in their Ice Castle, then tried to leave at 8 AM Sunday. Spent 9 hours on the ice. He had a plow and would unhook the castle, plow a ways, then back up to the castle to hook up again. By the time they got going half what he plowed was drifted over already.

Eventually they ran out of gas and called a buddy to come out with his snowmobile. Left the truck and Castle on the ice. I think he's going out today to try and retrieve it.

What a mess.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
They should be glad that someone didn't set up a bunch of lines on their road.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Assuming you have heat, drinking water is possibly the biggest concern.

I wonder if a person had chains, went slow and just let the truck chew it's way along if they could make it off or not? Chains are amazing, but, they don't work if they can't reach the ground/ice. High centered is high centered.

Chains do you no good when the snow is higher then the bumper!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The mentality of i will just call 911 and put another in harms way to rescue when all it took was a look at the weather and stay at home. Yeah i am perfect to realize that. I think they should be charged huge $$$$ for that type of rescue.

- - - Updated - - -

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesot...100-anglers-are-stranded-on-lake-of-the-woods

- - - Updated - - -

check out that video with the ice castle :;:help

short is 100% right idiots need to look at the weather and if you are going make sure your in it for the long haul. It is no different than the hippys that go hiking and then get stranded on the mountain with a wind breaker and granola bar and call sars to rescue them

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My dad was stuck out on LOTW sunday. He was with 5-6 other guys that were also stuck out there, resort finally got a plow out to them and they made it off the lake about 10:15pm.
I am going over this next weekend to help him rescue the wheelhouse he had to leave behind.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife's coworker was stranded on a lake somewhere this weekend. They spent the weekend in their Ice Castle, then tried to leave at 8 AM Sunday. Spent 9 hours on the ice. He had a plow and would unhook the castle, plow a ways, then back up to the castle to hook up again. By the time they got going half what he plowed was drifted over already.

Eventually they ran out of gas and called a buddy to come out with his snowmobile. Left the truck and Castle on the ice. I think he's going out today to try and retrieve it.

What a mess.

If I were that guy, at some point I'd of quit hooking back up to the castle, and left it. Probably when I had just enough gas to get home.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I heard 2’ deep slush pockets were horrible up there. The 20 mile plow roads all blew in and then the water came up over the ice and caused a bunch of slush. Many people drive to the very end of the plow road and with a blizzard approaching that doesn’t seem like the best idea on a huge lake like LOW.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 164
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76