Muddy Barbara Walters

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the past, a friends dad said he wouldn’t eat walleye out of certain lakes because they taste muddy. I never put much thought into it until I cooked up some eyes last week from a lake I’d never fished before. Anyone else have similar thoughts?

Also, Barbara Walters is a babe. That it all.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never eaten a muddy tasting walleye. Barbara Walters is not a babe.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never believed it - until I ate slough-tasting fish for myself. South Buffalo Lake (SD) has bluegills that taste like a slough smells. Horrific.

- - - Updated - - -

I always figured the fish had been mishandled in some fashion (storage, fileting, etc)

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
There can definitely be a taste and color difference when your used to eating Missouri river/Sakakawea Walleye. If your used to eating those Devils lake fish I'm sure you wont notice a difference anywhere else :;:duel

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was in college, we fished a lake that had been holding a half million snow geese a couple weeks earlier. You could see the goose shit floating and breaking down, and the water was yellow, and I mean yellow!. We were catching pike, and having a blast, and my buddy kept putting them on a stringer. I would have thrown mine back but he wanted them. I helped him clean them, and the meat was yellow and stunk. I told him he could have all the fish and he was happy. Then he froze them to take home. I never asked him how they were. But he grew up fishing the James River by Redfield SD, so IDK, maybe he's used to eating crap flavored fish.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spring run walleyes from the Red River taste like mud as well. I do not see a change in color of the flesh, But the taste is gross.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a similar experience with perch from a shallow slough a few winters ago. ;:;barfIMHO, walleyes out of the Missouri River in the spring are the best tasting.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have found every sauger or walleye from the Red to be particularly tasty - no idea why.

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve never had a nasty tasting Devils Lake eye. Not that it can’t happen.

- - - Updated - - -

it’s a sulfur compound issue

my swag is that in some waters the fish uptake them (our nose is crazy sensitive to sulfur cmpds)

in other waters there aren’t any stinky molecules or some other chemistry blocks this uptake from occurring

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i had a batch from the spring coulee run on devils a few years back. been accused of being full of shit more than once. but, total truth. it was one of the northern most bridges. so, i am guessing the water literally had a ton of farm field run off. nonetheless, every one of them tasted muddy/dirty.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
guywhofishes I have had some bad walleye from Devils Lake, actually from East Devils Lake. They were much more yellow flesh than the fish I get from Jamestown reservoir. I think it was the Gammarus lacustris they were feeding on.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can’t say I’ve had a muddy eye. I’ve had really muddy rainbows, though. I think Red River eyes are particularly good as well.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only liberal walleyes taste bad. Much like their human counterparts, they use their mouths to eat and spew stupid sh*t.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years ago we caught a limit of Walleyes (15) in Rice lake (Emmons) and had our selves a fish fry about the third piece in I had a real bad piece tasted like old sea water, then the boys ate until the had a piece of the same fish, have had a real hard time eating one from there ever since, one bad fish does ruin the whole bunch

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The walleye out of a small lake I fish sometimes will have a fishy taste. They are always full of freshwater shrimp. Not sure if its the shrimp or dirty water but they seem to have more red meat along the lateral line. I've been zippering them to remove the lateral line but enough of that red meat stays on. If I ever get out and catch more this winter I plan to cut all that red meat off and see if it helps.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75