Strikemaster putting an end to gas augers?

phillyblunt701

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seen a post on Facebook that Strikemaster will no longer be manufacturing gas augers, does anyone have any more information on this? I figured everything would be moving towards electric but didn't think it would be this soon.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last edited:

phillyblunt701

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have a link but it was posted on a reputable tackle shop's Facebook page this morning. I'd like to see a link myself but can't find one anywhere online.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own one. It made 3 trips to Lake Winnipeg this year. Won't be turning back after using it this season!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
My biggest issue with the electric augers is longevity. A gas auger taken care of can basically last indefinitely, will there be any original 40v strikemasters around in 10-15 years. Those batteries only last so long and i assume strikemaster will only make that battery for so long, so at some point you may have a perfectly good auger that is useless because there are no longer batteries for it.

For the time being, I'll still take my gas in ice over 18" and my milwaukee/eskimo in ice under that. Maybe if I ever have to replace the Honda strikmaster 10 years down the road they will have perfected electric.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Like @Bfishn said, a gas auger will hold up as long as you want it too. My dads auger has to be like 20-25 years old and it still works for him, but they aren't for me. Nothing makes me smile more than hearing that gas auger roaring across the smaller lakes while I punch 3 holes with my K-drill to their 1.

phillyblunt701

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love my Kdrill set up and haven't touched a gas auger in 2 years. But I personally think gas augers will always have their place in ice fishing.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love my Kdrill set up and haven't touched a gas auger in 2 years. But I personally think gas augers will always have their place in ice fishing.

This is how I felt as well. I was using my k-drill early ice than my gas late ice. I got the SM 40V this winter and had zero issues up on Winnipeg in 48" of ice. Very impressed and my old SM is now for sale.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
There’s no need for gas augers anymore. Within five years they’ll all follow suit. Will you be able to use an electric power head for 25 years? Most likely not. But they’re catering to a new generation of people that don’t fix things. They throw them away when they quit working. So for those of you that prefer fixing, there will always be used gas motors floating around to fix and use.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When they started putting Chink motors on the ice augers that was the end gate

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77