self-leveling laser for $100-$200??

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need one for around the crooked little house, a future deck, etc.

What brand should I buy? Bosch, DeWalt, etc.? Is there some bargain basement version that's surprisingly decent?

- - - Updated - - -

If I get decent advice I'll post pics of the level stuff I build with it.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it to make sure your "For Sale" sign in front of the house is nice and square so you don't have to deal with the leveling bullshit?

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remember sometimes you get what you pay for. I know just the person you can talk to, PM me if you want more information.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't shopped them lately but I'd be really amazed if you could get a self leveling laser for that kind of money. I have the big dewalt one. $1200 is what they sell for or so. I've had it a dozen years at least and it's dead on to this day.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't shopped them lately but I'd be really amazed if you could get a self leveling laser for that kind of money. I have the big dewalt one. $1200 is what they sell for or so. I've had it a dozen years at least and it's dead on to this day.

If a guy were to need to get one repaired or serviced where do you go?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If a guy were to need to get one repaired or serviced where do you go?
send em to the manufacturer

- - - Updated - - -

Leica and be done with it. Anything you buy at a box store will be crap.
No homeowner could justify the expense of one of those. And for what he's doing he certainly doesn't need one.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
For now I'll likely just stick with the leveling string I bought when I put up a suspended ceiling a couple years back. Tough to fool the simple physics of a very taught lightweight string between nails or screws.

Could even stretch that string along the side of a looooong board and use it as a poor man's 10' aluminum straight edge like the floor guys have. A little more measuring/finesse... but just as straight in the end.

Thanks guys.

- - - Updated - - -

That said - I appreciate the sentiment - go quality or go home, every time you can.

Labz4me

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a cheap on at Home Depot I believe. Was like $60 some bucks. It isn’t the 360 rotating one but you can turn it manually. Works great for home use. Can’t remember the name without going to the garage to look.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I allways just use a line level, clear plastic hose filled with water

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
c4f73335ae950c27189f3301850b7358.jpg
This is what I used when I did steal and wood stud construction has three self leveling beams and had a magnet so I could hang it off a plate when building metal soffit or putting up a suspended ceiling. I would turn the level so the beam would be facing me it worked and was less then half the price of one that had a laser that would spin. There are probably other brands out there but just like you I wasnt going to spend 300 hundred dollars when this one cost me 100 bucks back in 2006 from Sears in grand forks.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a porter cable laser once and it was out of calibration in 60 days and reading way off. So I bought a better unit and never looked back. I could have sent it in and had it recalibrated but didn't have time to wait.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Harbor Freight -- just kidding ---- i rented one when we did our pool. it was a dewalt -- worked awesome. Didnt know they were that much coin.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
we have a cst/berger(8000.00) but yo dont want that. I think people are talking two different things here. one you can set like lunkers to set up studs and have a straight line put on by a laser which are quite reasonable. Then you have the one that you also have the rod with to set up grade, pipe slope and general construction stuff while it does work for the first it is expensive and not needed. IF you are wanting a straight line for hanging pictures and trim they make one with a bubble level in it and then you turn it on and it shoots the beam. Its like an electronic chalk line of sorts i got one of those for the wife around the house for 20 bucks and works great and saves me headaches.

construction laser level

CSTRL50HVCK.jpg

cheap little level
40-0915_copy_copy.png

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw a water level in the farm show magazine back in the 80s so I threw one together for a project , They work pretty slick and probably about as accurate as you can get. I see there are a few companies selling them now.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep, I have a water level - indeed accurate

but "slow"... you gotta move the hose around, plus, it sucks for floor work cuz then it's a hose and a vertical stick coming up to reference the floor

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a Johnson Lazer level that we use on the farm for projects works well for us. $350 ish for the kit (grade rod, stand, Lazer, receiver)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74