mid June thoughts ?

sdtransplant

Established Member
Putting together a bucket list trip to Lake Sakakawea in mid to late June , was looking at the Pick City area. Am wondering if you who fish the lake would have any ideas if this would be a decent place to start or would you suggest some were else to start . Would mainly be chasing walleyes , we would have a 21 ft sparkly so can get in big water if need to. Thanks for any info in advance . Don't need any ones secret spot.

dschaible

Established Member
For a bucket list trip drive the extra mileage to Van Hook. When people talk about how awesome Sak fishing is they are on the Arm or somewhere out west.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with the above posts. East end of the lake that time of the year is much tougher fishing. You can definitely find and catch fish but odds are it won't be the quantity and potential quality the Van Hook area has that time of year. The river arm around new town is also a good place to be.

If you are going to take the time and spend the money, I would strongly suggest going farther west that time of year.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep another vote for the vanhook arm/parshall bay area. mid june honestly is probably the best fishing you can get. any techniques can work pulling cranks, jigs minnows, crawler bite is usually going too. Van hook resort can be quite busy that time of year 2ith 200 boats a day easily going down the ramps a day but as long as your okay with a busy ramp i would think you will enjoy the fishing

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
The hook x100. It's been something special the last couple of years. IMHO I'd set up base camp at New Town/4 Bears if it were me.

sdtransplant

Established Member
Thanks to all who replied , just talked to the others who are coming along Van hook it is ,if we can find rooms. Thanks again!

dbllung

Founding Member
Founding Member
Van Hook without a doubt! That place in June makes everybody look like a professional walleye fisherman.......

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Keep the Assholes out and the ramp at VanHook wouldn't be bad

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
Ft Stevenson is a nice place to stay. Trailer the boat to the Hook though. I’ll be making my maiden trip to the Hook in Mid-june as well. The bite on the east end picks up in July based on my experience.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
By the looks of things, I would go east to the great lakes. Not many fish in Sakakawea, especially the hook with all the fisherman.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
if you do stay there don't overlook audubon. smaller fish but can be a great place to bend the rod!!

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
Yep. It's a good idea going to the hook in June. Everyone knows you can't catch any fish at the East end in June. I will try tho!#$%^&>

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d probably skip Sak and go to Peck if I was already driving that far anyway. Bigger fish, fewer people.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76