Question for you guys that own meat grinders

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you store your grinder, what kind of oil do you store your grinding plates and blade in to keep them from rusting? I tried vegetable oil and over time it turned dark brown and plates and blade had a brown build up on them. The last time I stored mine I used olive oil and it still turned a little dark (not as bad as the vegetable oil) and the plates and blade still had a brownish build up on them. Do you think putting the container of oil and plates in the fridge would help? Thanks.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have had a meat grinder for 15 years. I always just wash mine and dry them and stick them in a zip lock bag in a tote with the rest of the stuff. I have never had a single piece of rust on anything. I store them in the basement in a bottom cabinet in the dark year round until sausage time.

I'm not a scientist or engineer but are you maybe storing them in a place that has high humidity?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I keep mine in the dungeon, I mean basement also. I have had mine sharpened at Val's Cyclery and he told me to store them in oil so that's what I've been doing. :;:huh Don't know if its wrong or right.

Last edited:

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
one thing to remember is don't wash those parts in soap at the end of making sausage, we just rinse with warm water and get the chunks off but don't scrub them sparkly clean.

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had mine for 7 years and like MuleyMadness, I wash and put into a zip . Mine is stored in the garage and I have never seen any rust. Oil sounds like the right thing to do, I just never have oiled them.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
one thing to remember is don't wash those parts in soap at the end of making sausage, we just rinse with warm water and get the chunks off but don't scrub them sparkly clean.
You like germs or what? Yuck.

Wash them and let them air dry completely before storing in a drawer or box.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had a meat grinder for 15 years. I always just wash mine and dry them and stick them in a zip lock bag in a tote with the rest of the stuff. I have never had a single piece of rust on anything. I store them in the basement in a bottom cabinet in the dark year round until sausage time.

I'm not a scientist or engineer but are you maybe storing them in a place that has high humidity?

This^^^^
Also stored in basement.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My instructions said to store with a light coating of food grade oil so that is what I do but I put them in a good freezer bag also.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
So here’s what I did. Washed them and dried them good, wrapped them in paper towels put them in a ziplock bag. Will see how it goes.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wash grinder and parts in soap and water, let dry, store in open air container until next year. Come next year, I rewash in soap and water prior to grinding any meat. I don't oil anything. Dry keeps bacteria from growing as well as rust and dust washes off real quick. No problems in 35 years of doing sausage.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Light coat of vegetables oil or Pam and store in ziplock

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
As LBrant said light coat of food grade oil, this is a mineral oil not vegetable oil. You cam place in ziploc or wrap in paper. This same oil is great for using on your whet stones for sharpening knves. It keeps the metal shaving from clogging the stones pores.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had my LEM for 15 years now. No Rust. What you are looking for is food grade silicone spray. Spray them down really good and like others have said, put everything in in ziplock bags.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
wd-40 and in a zip lock. wash up before using

I generally soak mine in strait 30w motor oil and then clean them up with brake cleaner before use. I find that I can use less pork fat in my sausage and it gives a nice tangy flavor to the finished sausage.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t do anything with the blades or plates and most other parts. Mine is a cabelas grinder and after 10 years no rust as long as we dry the parts good after using them. I do put a light coating of a food grade grease that I think I bought from scheels on the gears in stuffer and on the splines and wear areas of the grinder. The only time we had a grinder rust is my brother made sausage with one and didn’t wash it right away and then soaked it in the sink with water for awhile and didn’t dry it afterwards.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
LEM.jpg

this has worked perfect for me

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108