Nelson Lake Boat Landing

Johnnie Candle

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thinking of heading to Nelson Lake this week to give the new boat a shakedown. It is a bit of a drive from Devils Lake, ND. Anyone know if the ramp is clear of snow and ice and is it usable?

Would hate to get there and not be able to use it after a 3 hour drive.

Thanks.

Yarman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tailrace has cleaner water, and is open, and closer.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to the west side ramp. The east can get a little silted in. A big boat can get a little sketchy.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be careful with the bottom of it it tends to have a hell of a lip on it. Would assume with the runoff she's high enough that the edge won't be a problem. Also if unfamiliar with the lake staymore against the north and east Shoreline and don't take anything too fast your first time cuz there are numerous shallow flat spots out the middle that are covered with rocks especially the area just to the east along the south shore line by the canal that area is shallow as hell.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Went to Nelson today.... used the east ramp as it looked like the "silt" was dug out today... or recently for that matter. Boat ran good. Tried the big motor, kicker, the "lazy man's" bow mount. No leaks, everything went good today. The zv21 is a whole new animal compared to the zv18 but sure rode like a Cadillac. Couple other boats out on Nelson as well, I never knew ther was nice 7lb bass in nelson lake, maybe next time i go to the outfitters in minot I'll buy some bass fishing lures.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
^nelson can be a great time and a nice change from walleye, but don’t expect 7 pounders, lots of bass up to about 4 though. A 5# largemouth there is probably the equivalent of about a 6-7# walleye at Sak right now, a 7# would be like a 12# eye. I fish there a few times a year for the past 20 years and my biggest is 6.5 and have seen one over 7. The day I caught the 6.5, I caught 5 over 5. It was an epic day about 15 years ago and haven’t done anything close to that since. I did catch a 6 two years ago on my second cast which was nice.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^^^^ I saw some images today of what looked like a baluga whale on the side/ down mega imaging that would make an awesome episode of the MLF bass tour look like the NWT on steroids. Seemed like they loved the warm water coming out of the plant. Water temp was 56.8

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha, yeah there are a crap ton of carp in there too. Sometimes fishing shallow in the spring can be tough because all those bastards are up shallow creating havoc during the spawn. In fact if the carp are up shallow I don’t catch shit, but I also don’t really try to fish deep bass. If I’m going there I want to huck big stupid lures up shallow with a baitcast, if I wanted to jig deep I’d just stick to the eyes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56