Waders

Cooz'sCatches

Looking to buy some new waders as we start to see some open water out here in the western part of the state. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions, im sure some of you do, that could suggest some durable waders that can kinda be a catch all from waterfowl to fishing.

I've wanted a new pair for awhile now, so I think this season I can convince the wife to drop some cash on a nice pair. Just wondering if the money is worth it when looking at new waders or is it just a waste of time to put in a lot of money on something that ill more than likely replace every so many years.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bought Cabelas brand waders more than 15 years ago and paid a little over $200 for them. Still use them although there is a slight leak in the crotch area. if water is deeper than that I usually send my grandson out lol. He's about 6-1 so he can handle it.

I did take care of them. Don't cross barbwire fences, hang them in the basement where it's warm and dry and hung on a wader hanger for lack of a better term. Hangers where the heels slide in and top hangs down, nice and straight with no wrinkles to promote leaks.

Point being, I think a quality pair will last a long time with proper care. Just like most of our outdoor equipment.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hunting is real hard on waders. I go through a pair for hunting every 2-3 years. My fishing waders usually last 6 or more. Hard to have one pair for everything considering the range of weather you'll encounter throughout the year. Long story short, I'd vote cheap neoprenes for hunting and spring tipup fishing, and a decent set of breathables for everything else. I run Simms G3s and couldn't be happier for durability and breathability.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm with Retired Ed...I bought 3.5mm Cabela's brand 10-15 years ago and they were like $150 on sale for $100. I also have acquired a small hole in the crotch. I also pampered mine pretty good and did not use them a ton. 3-5 hunting trips, some water trapping, and just a handful of fishing each year.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hunting is real hard on waders. I go through a pair for hunting every 2-3 years. My fishing waders usually last 6 or more. Hard to have one pair for everything considering the range of weather you'll encounter throughout the year. Long story short, I'd vote cheap neoprenes for hunting and spring tipup fishing, and a decent set of breathables for everything else. I run Simms G3s and couldn't be happier for durability and breathability.

Oh look at me and my 2 pairs of waders
tenor.gif

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
if it was me looking at new waders I would give these serious consideration: [h=1]Frogg Toggs® Men's BullTogg™ 5mm Bull Hide Hunting Waders[/h]
I have a regular pair of Frog Toggs I use at the lake and have no issues with them

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have Cabela's brand of breathable waders, 2 pairs over 12 years, I stay warmer than neoprene and ease of insertion and extraction of me into neoprene is akin to Opie1 and his buddy getting that ice castle out.

And there will be no pictures...

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have Cabela's brand of breathable waders, 2 pairs over 12 years, I stay warmer than neoprene and ease of insertion and extraction of me into neoprene is akin to Opie1 and his buddy getting that ice castle out.

And there will be no pictures...

The Cabelas waders I bought were also the breathable and the reason I liked them is they had a "Stout" size. Stout is for people who are larger in frame and cut bigger. Very easy to get off and on. Wear some good heavy underwear underneath and have never been too cold to hunt. I also usually stand in about knee deep water if I need to, never in waist deep or deeper water so cold isn't usually an issue.

Cooz'sCatches

Thanks for the help, I think ill keep my current waders that ive had for half a dozen years or so now, and invest in some nice breathable ones that will do me good for "warmer" weather.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am of the non-pussy generation. We just wade right in wearing bluejeans.

You pussies.

You mean "falls off dock".

- - - Updated - - -

I don't hunt, and don't walk far in my waders. Don't have sharp objects in them. It mystifies me, that I can't get three years out of a pair. I've never had "really good ones" though. Never paid the money for Simms.

Like FlyCarpin, I have two pairs. Both have small leaks, but nothing unbearable. If I can make it four hours, it's more than enough time for my fishing.

I have a pair of the heaviest neoprene, with the warmest boots, that I can afford. My most recent pair were a mid-winter sales pair from Scheels. I think they were $250, but half off, so $125. They're great, but far too hot for May/June in the Missouri, or September. I believe 1200 gram boots, maybe 3.5 mm bodies.

If I could only have one pair, it would be stocking-foot breathables. Once you've figured out what to wear under them, you will be amazed at how easy it is to get around in them. No mud sucking boots off your feet, no getting tired because they're hot and heavy. Just better all around.

With stocking-foot though, neoprene OR breathables, the boots are worth a little extra coin. The cheapest you can buy, are likely to pull apart.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am of the non-pussy generation. We just wade right in wearing bluejeans.

You pussies.

Not everybody can have a pet armadillo as a kid. Or was it a beaver? Nope, couldn't have been a beaver, your from the non-pussy generation. A raccoon, thats it.

Laurence

I have something like those but my feet are usually too warm so I use some thicker all wool socks to make up some rooms.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77