View Poll Results: How should we defend our schools?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arm the staff

49 41.18%
  • Metal detectors

8 6.72%
  • Security system or security guard

51 42.86%
  • Not sure or don't know

11 9.24%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Back To Top    #61
    Ultimate VIP Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,941
    Given: 2,142
    I would guess I would ruffle a few feathers. Especially those in mom's basement still playing Grand Theft Auto because it's as close as they can get to a real woman. If the last post didn't do it this one will. To many parents use TV and games to baby sit their kids because they don't want to make time, or are to busy in this world to have time for their kids.
    The authors of the book along with many other people are pushing for real meaningful age ratings for these games. The psychological and medical fields know how damaging some of these games are. They have taken it all the way to the supreme court, but when a company makes 1.8 billion off one game in one year they bring in their bought and paid for psychologist and attorneys and like tobacco companies swamped the opposition. They claimed first amendment rights and won. The next push is to make it like tobacco and alcohol and put age limits on some games.
    The book I read had diaries entries from some shooters. The one guy before going on a rampage called it "day of retrobution". Some of his wording was as if he directly copied wording from his game. The debate is over and it's time for action.

0 Not allowed!

2. Back To Top    #62
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,957
    Given: 3,110
    This is starting to hit pretty close to home.

0 Not allowed!
    Life is Good

3. Back To Top    #63
    Silver Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 0
    Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  77.1 KB

I still think that its the students who know each fellow students behavior better than the adults and teachers and there would be students who are expert marksman more so than alot of the teachers so it only makes sense that certain students be allowed to conceal carry.

0 Not allowed!

4. Back To Top    #64
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 828
    That pic of Reagan proves a good point. How many square footage is a typical school? Shooting starts on one side of the school, how long does it take to put down the coffee and get to a place where you can make a difference?

Metal detectors would be good and easy to operate while 1000's of kids file in and out. I'm sure more schools already do, but one way in and one way out during the day, through a metal detector.

1-2 psychologists for every school. Every student takes a psych test at the beginning, middle, and end of the school year. Doesn't have to be overly intrusive, a good psychologist should be able to pick out red flags and dig deeper into issues. 99.99% of kids would probably pass just fine and have no problems with it. If a kid is graduating and gives red flags on their last test, hand it off to the authorities.

I think there needs to be more accountability on the parents of these kids that get access to the weapons. Lock up your guns, seperate them from the ammo, and pay attention to what your kid is doing and going through in life. You can't do that, you're just as responsible IMO. Doesn't really help in the Florida case, but in general.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieGhost View Post
    I would guess I would ruffle a few feathers. Especially those in mom's basement still playing Grand Theft Auto because it's as close as they can get to a real woman. If the last post didn't do it this one will. To many parents use TV and games to baby sit their kids because they don't want to make time, or are to busy in this world to have time for their kids.
    The authors of the book along with many other people are pushing for real meaningful age ratings for these games. The psychological and medical fields know how damaging some of these games are. They have taken it all the way to the supreme court, but when a company makes 1.8 billion off one game in one year they bring in their bought and paid for psychologist and attorneys and like tobacco companies swamped the opposition. They claimed first amendment rights and won. The next push is to make it like tobacco and alcohol and put age limits on some games.
    The book I read had diaries entries from some shooters. The one guy before going on a rampage called it "day of retrobution". Some of his wording was as if he directly copied wording from his game. The debate is over and it's time for action.
    I agree with the ratings, but I don't think it would help much. How many parents of the kids playing this garbage are just going to go out and buy the game for the kid anyways? There's not many 12 year olds walking into target and spending 50$ on a video game, its the parents buying the crap.

0 Not allowed!
    She was eating cookies like Nabisco needed their bags back.

5. Back To Top    #65
    VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,550
    Given: 144
    Classifieds
    I have spoke with several educators (off the record of course) and none of them feel arming teachers is the answer. Most of the middle schools and high schools in Fargo/West Fargo have over 1000 students. Funding needs to be redirected towards schools resource officers and increased entry precautions … most schools have a system to buzz someone in … perhaps adding a second sealed entry, also increased oneway exits so all the students are not funneled into the same area when attempting to leave …

0 Not allowed!

6. Back To Top    #66
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,781
    Given: 3,834
    Classifieds
    Much like gun control, arming teachers IMHO is lipstick on the pig. The issue is mental health stability of youth. A lot has been touched on, I would like to add that the decomposition of the traditional family is a main driver. Moms working, Dads working more hours. One parent absent, one parent not giving a shit.

It has been brought up that games (which I would expand to TV and internet) are being used as babysitters. I agree 100%, how many mom's these days were well suited to be moms? Years back, most women had experience babysitting, siblings, etc. But now, single child, small families combined with the "helicopter" mom effect has removed the training to be moms. Take that and move the new family away from the parent family and siblings that used to be the support and you get some stressed out moms. Stressed out moms are (IMHO and my experience) will turn to TV, movies, internet to entertain children in order to get a much needed break. Then imagine how does mom compete with the "babysitter"????? She can't...

0 Not allowed!
    I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.... and I'm all out of bubble gum. RIP Rowdy

7. Back To Top    #67
    Premium Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 492
    Given: 218
    Ban cell phones in schools; hell raise the age limit to 18 to even own one as long as raising age limits on things are all the rage now. It would force kids to have actual conversations with each other and form real relationships. I'd guess 99% of bullying that goes on now would end if the "bully" would actually have to do it in person. Sure, there'd still be a few out there but they'd be easier to pick out and discipline. Kid gets internet bullied, kid gets depressed, kid goes on meds, and you know how it goes from there.

Thats where I'd start anyway, phones/bookface/instagram/snapchat etc are just as responsible, if not more than video games I'd say. Parents, your 15 year old doesn't need a frickin smart phone. Most of us somehow survived into our 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's without one and look how we turned out, probably the smartest SOB's out there. Just ask us.

1 Not allowed!

8. Back To Top    #68
    Silver Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Blame tv, blame movies, blame video games, blame the media, blame the internet, blame rock n roll, blame rap of course, blame the devil, or even blame God. Blame bullying, blame parenting, blame drugs, but you still can't blame the guns.

0 Not allowed!

9. Back To Top    #69
    VIP Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,025
    Given: 413
    I believe that is James Brady standing behind Reagan's left shoulder. He married Sara Jane Kemp. Her father was a school teacher and later worked for the FBI. Sara and James became involved with Handgun INC. which was later renamed Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

Handgun Inc. devised a sneak attack creating a front org called American Hunters and Shooters Association. It launched at the Outdoor Writers Association of America. Many writers such as Tony Dean got sucked into the flap to draw gun enthusiasts away from the NRA. AHSA only lasted from 2005 to 2010.

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  77.1 KB

0 Not allowed!

10. Back To Top    #70
    Ultimate VIP Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,941
    Given: 2,142
    I think Tony was the last to catch on. He was a big disappointment. He couldn't admit he was wrong so he kept supporting them for some time.

0 Not allowed!

11. Back To Top    #71
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,469
    Given: 2,247
    I used to think arming the teachers was a good plan. After these sheriff's deputies were too damn scared to go in I think that blows my theory all to hell. Securing the building and only allowing controlled entrance needs to be the first step. And it would be the cheapest too.

0 Not allowed!

12. Back To Top    #72
    VIP Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,025
    Given: 413
    A few years ago North Dakota had a Bill considering arming teachers. It failed. One of the bigger opponents was former Senator Stan Lyson. We were discussing this around a table of drinks. He was a former sheriff and commented as much training as he had, he missed a fellow 6 times charging him and another time he was being shot at and for the life of himself he doesn't know why he was shooting over his shoulder while escaping.

I asked him if that was the time his girlfriends husband came home early? Everyone looked around like, oh fuck. Finally Stanely said, you're an asshole and smiled. The place exploded.

His point was errand shots fired are going to hit students like Hinkely aiming at Reagan hit James Brady.

0 Not allowed!

13. Back To Top    #73
    Silver Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    There is alot of square footage to cover in a school bldg, so I still think certain students should be allowed to conceal carry. It's the kids that play video games that I would want on my side when the time comes to eliminate a opponent with a gun. Maybe we should hang AR 15 on school hallway wall next to fire extinguisher, that only certain kids would have a key to unlock cabinet in case of emergency.

0 Not allowed!

14. Back To Top    #74
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 513
    Given: 266
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz the Cat View Post
    A few years ago North Dakota had a Bill considering arming teachers. It failed. One of the bigger opponents was former Senator Stan Lyson. We were discussing this around a table of drinks. He was a former sheriff and commented as much training as he had, he missed a fellow 6 times charging him and another time he was being shot at and for the life of himself he doesn't know why he was shooting over his shoulder while escaping.

I asked him if that was the time his girlfriends husband came home early? Everyone looked around like, oh fuck. Finally Stanely said, you're an asshole and smiled. The place exploded.
    His point was errand shots fired are going to hit students like Hinkely aiming at Reagan hit James Brady.
    This is exactly why you don't want teachers with guns. Trained cops miss all the time. If I remember right there were almost 700 rounds fired at the Boston bomber brothers, only a couple rounds found the target. Its just to risky to put guns in teachers hands and expect them to perform like a trained cop in a active shooter situation. What would happen if a teacher accidently killed a kid? Probably at a minimum man slaughter charges.
    I do support non-lethal defense devices in teachers hands though. Big cans of pepper spray and tasers would at least be something to slow down a lunatic.
    Bottom line is the lunatics have to be stopped before they get into a school. How do accomplish this is the mystery. Schools may end up looking like a prison I guess.

0 Not allowed!

15. Back To Top    #75
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 340
    Given: 1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck1 View Post
    There is alot of square footage to cover in a school bldg, so I still think certain students should be allowed to conceal carry. It's the kids that play video games that I would want on my side when the time comes to eliminate a opponent with a gun. Maybe we should hang AR 15 on school hallway wall next to fire extinguisher, that only certain kids would have a key to unlock cabinet in case of emergency.
    So how do you determine which student(s) can carry? Who makes that decision? Do you put an age on it? Im sure there are plenty of kids who would be more than capable of carrying, but my question lies on whether or not i would want a kid to have that kinda pressure not only to carry, but to know that if it does happen and they do shoot the perpetrator, how f'd up are they gonna be the rest of their lives.

0 Not allowed!

16. Back To Top    #76
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 513
    Given: 266
    Crazy............ what charges is this teacher going to face?

http://therightscoop.com/facepalm-te...hree-students/

0 Not allowed!

17. Back To Top    #77
    Gold Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    I believe 2 things should be done. Improve secure entrance and exit into school and Armed guard. Make 1 or 2 entry/exits that can be used by everyone. The # of 1 or 2 entry/exits should be based on # of students. Each entrance has a metal detector and an armed, trained guard. The rest of the schools exits can only be used for emergencies and can only be unlocked by a teacher. All entries/exits have a video camera on them and alarms. As a back up the school can choose one staff member to have access to a fire arm and also must be trained.

As far as trying to prevent kids becoming wackos I think it would be a great idea to pass a law that would severely punish a parent or guardian of a mass shooter. If a parent knows they will spend prison time for what their kid does I bet you would see some more precautions taken by parents.

0 Not allowed!

18. Back To Top    #78
    Silver Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas'n Tail View Post
    So how do you determine which student(s) can carry? Who makes that decision? Do you put an age on it? Im sure there are plenty of kids who would be more than capable of carrying, but my question lies on whether or not i would want a kid to have that kinda pressure not only to carry, but to know that if it does happen and they do shoot the perpetrator, how f'd up are they gonna be the rest of their lives.
    Not as f'd up as they,d be if they're DEAD! But seriously the point I'm trying to make is that neither teachers or students should have guns. It won't solve a god damn thing. Someone that is dealing with alot of internal "abnormal" harmful mental thoughts will always figure out a way around the rules if they're determined to express themselves to the world in a f'd up way. They think of it as their personal art form of expression to leave a lasting legacy & impression by sharing their feelings with all of us.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Redneck1; 03-14-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234