Dog food ?

Feildhunter701

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got myself a new male black lab. And was wondering what you guys prefer for food. I feed my 12 year old chocolate lab ukkanuba for his whole life. But he developed a lot of lumps in the past 5 years.. I'm not sure if it was becuse of the food.. but I'm thinking pro plan.. But I'm open to anything

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have fed Iams lamb and rice formula for quite a few years now and have had great luck with it.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I get dog food from Chewy.com. Delivered right to my door for less than I can buy it for in store. Set up auto delivery and it takes the hassel out of it. They always e-mail before shiping if you want to change things.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of good ones out there. The first one we tried with our puppy didn’t agree with him, lots of loose stools. We talked with the folks at pet smart and they pointed us to a different one and it’s been good since then. They were really knowledgeable. Go in and have a conversation with them. Take the pup too!

Coldfront

Established Member
I switched to Nutrisource as that is what my dog trainer used. Made in MN and in China. After two years of feeding so far so good. Not much byproduct either.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice. Tried a few others including blue buffalo and other big name brands, diamond naturals has been the best so far though. I get it at Menards or Tractor Supply.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been feeding my hounds the Rachel Ray stuff and it has agree'd with both of them. First ingredient is a protien which I feel is important versus that of a grain or corn which can be used as a filler. I tried science diet but it must've been a bit too hot for my Brittney's, it went through them pretty quick if you know what I mean. Used to feed Iam's also which I never had a problem with. Then again, the wife is a sucker and our new pup who is now 2 gets pancakes and sausage when she makes breakfast for the kids, and was eating Captain Crunch last night with my daughter so my advise might no be the best, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I tried some stuff called "Call of Wild" or something like that and it didn't agree with the new pup "At All"! I think the main thing is to find a good quality food that agrees with your dog and yet provides enough nutrition that they don't lay-down on you in the field. Every dog is different that way.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Every pups going to be different. My Aussies have sensitive stomachs. Science Diet works best for them, Blue Buffalo obliterated their guts, and my back yard, while also giving my little Aussie bladder stones.

My American Bulldog mix could probably eat any food under the sun and the only thing that'll change is the smell of his farts. Science Diet does well with keeping said farts less frequent and smelly.

Aucker33

Established Member
I'll second the Nutrisource. All three of my dogs absolutely love the stuff, including the one picky eater. They also have a really good variety to choose from. Plus Menards carries a few.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll third Nutrisource. We used to be on Purina Pro Plan, which I think is mighty fine stuff, but my oldest was getting ear infections constantly and the vet mentioned it might be food related. After talking to some other dog people, made the switch to Nutrisource and his ears really cleared up. He still gets them about twice a year (more seasonally than anything) but not every 3 weeks like before. We get the Adult Chicken and Rice.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fieldhunter,
I would just like to mention that what you feed your puppy should and probably will be different then what you feed him when he gets bigger. Puppy food first and then graduate to adult food as he grows. Some of the adult food will be pretty hot for the little feller.
Good luck with the new puppy. He will create memories for you for years to come. Dogs really are mans best friend. They are the most loyal friend you could ever have. Spoil him with the best money can buy.:D
Fish On!!

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
check out dogfoodadvisor.com. they rate almost every single food out there, list all the indredients in the foods, and list the questionable ingredients for each food in red. We feed our dogs Merrick because it has great ratings, very few questionable ingredients, and it is not insanely processed like most dog foods.

When i say insanely processed I mean that it is fairly fresh and can actually go bad if not used in a reasonable amount of time. Our 2 dogs (boxer and cocker spaniel) go through a 25# bag each month. It's not the cheapest, but a quick google search will usually produce a coupon for 5$/bag off and if you buy from Petco, they almost always have a deal going for their rewards club members that will get the price down another $5 or so.

My 55-60# wirehair used to use about a bag a month as well. Whats nice is that it is super high quality food so you don't need to feed them as much and their body absorbs more of it because it has less junk fillers in it. This equals less dogshit to clean up in the yard which is a +.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/before-grain-dog-food-dry/
This is a link to the foods that we feed our dogs. if you scroll down to the ingredients list you can see the "questionable" ingredients in red, and then if you scrolls down a bit more you will see a break down of the protein, fat, and carb content.

Last edited:

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Purina Pro Plan for my dogs. I'll also second the chewy.com. Deliver it right to our door every month and the price is cheaper than I can buy it locally.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find it interesting that you guys who use chewy.com for delivery. All the dog foods I checked out locally are cheaper than chewy.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find it interesting that you guys who use chewy.com for delivery. All the dog foods I checked out locally are cheaper than chewy.

I was ordering from Chewy without checking locally. Pet-smart is cheaper. They have promotions and price matching . For Pro Plan Pet -Smart is cheaper for sure.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's hit or miss for me on the price; sometimes local wins, others chewy wins. For me it's easier to just stick with chewy. I commute to work and with kids events, wife's schedule, dinner prep, etc., it's just easier to have it sitting on my doorstep than to try and plan an extra 15min into my day to go to a store and grab it.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If I lived closer to a department store like Pet Smart I might find it cheaper, but for me in my situation chewy is the way to go. I like Pro plan and that is not available in the town I live in. Not to mention I leave for work at 7:20 AM and am lucky if I am home by 6 PM, last thing I want to do is stop somewhere out of my way on my way home for pet food when someone will drop it right in front of my door.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75