Where to bass fish.

Backedbarley

I live in Grand forks and am getting into kayak fishing. New to bass fishing and was wondering where around Grand forks could I go for bass either small mouth or large mouth?

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
There used to be some diversion ponds west of GF that had bass in them, but that was in the early 2000s. The Red Lake River has smallies too, if you have an MN license.

If you're looking for an awesome place and don't mind a 2 hour drive, drop your kayak in at Chautauqua Park in Valley City and fish from the Hi-Line Bridge to the Mill Dam. Keep it simple, jigs and twisters and tubes on 3/0 hooks with a little bullet weight fished around structure and rip-rap. The smallies will start going at the end of the month! Let us know how you do!

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Nowhere real close that I'm aware of, Brewer lake has some ok largemouth, and ashtabula has smallies. Maple lake has largemouth also. Those are probably the closest that I know of.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
There used to be some diversion ponds west of GF that had bass in them, but that was in the early 2000s. The Red Lake River has smallies too, if you have an MN license.

If you're looking for an awesome place and don't mind a 2 hour drive, drop your kayak in at Chautauqua Park in Valley City and fish from the Hi-Line Bridge to the Mill Dam. Keep it simple, jigs and twisters and tubes on 3/0 hooks with a little bullet weight fished around structure and rip-rap. The smallies will start going at the end of the month! Let us know how you do!

I grew up a mile from those ponds, about the only thing that's left in there these days is northerns and small sunnies. There might be a bass or two swimming around but I think the population of them has mostly died off.

I always forget the Red Lake River has smallies. I should really fish that more.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Larimore Dam out west of Grand Forks had LM bass in it back in the 90s and early 2000s. It was a fun little place to go chasing LMs with top water lures and buzzbait spinners. It's electric only and most of the places I'd catch bass were tough to get to from shore, so a boat of some sort is a good idea.

- - - Updated - - -

and the pike in there would also nail the bass lures. Fun as heck fishing pike with topwater stuff.

Backedbarley

Yes I forgot to put in that I am going to be getting a minnestoa fishing license. Pretty new to fishing other than the occasional trip for northern but wanna get into fishing for bass and other fish too.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes I forgot to put in that I am going to be getting a minnestoa fishing license. Pretty new to fishing other than the occasional trip for northern but wanna get into fishing for bass and other fish too.

There is good bass fishing at a lake near Mentor, MN. I think it is called union lake?

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member

If you wanna get into "other fish too" I would suggest the Red River that is right in your backyard. 20lb cats are not uncommon and I don't see why you couldn't do it from kayak if that's your thing. And we are only days/weeks from prime time. You start messing around with 20-25lb channel cats you may rethink chasing the green/brown carp. (Did you guys see what I did there?) IM JUST KIDDING!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74