Erie bound

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heading to Erie tomorrow after work:;:howdy. I may put a pic or 2 up for your enjoyment. 1100 miles 1 way should be the fun part of the trip.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think you missed it by a couple weeks. From what I gather, a local guide has fished out the lake and kept all the walleyes. Might want to try again in about 10 years.

reddevilwoodsman

Established Member
I've been there a couple of times about this time of the year. Each time the fishing was fantastic with big walleyes and lots of them. We had no guide but it was relatively easy to catch walleyes. All we did was troll cranks.
Three of my best friends and I made the trips and we stayed out at South Bass Island both times. We drove our boat and vehicle on to a ferry on the mainland and it took us right out to the island. It was a lot of fun.
Some day I'm going back there and the next time I'll take my wife.
Have fun!

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you missed it by a couple weeks. From what I gather, a local guide has fished out the lake and kept all the walleyes. Might want to try again in about 10 years.

I have heard that too. I may decide last minute to make a trip to Goose Lake or Antelope instead.

- - - Updated - - -

tell me more about this Erie place?

is this your first trip? are you taking your boat or going with guide?

First trip. Using a guide that also guides on Devils during the summer. Figured it was safer to go the guide route on our virgin trip there so in years to come we can go it alone safely.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm more interested to see MPG from the baby Power Stroke on a long non-towing road trip.

Griz

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm here right now . It's been real windy . Lots of muddy water .
Might get out tomorrow as wind is supposed to go down some.
You can always go to the reefs and jig even when muddy .
Use blade baits in the mud . 20" males all day long . We head
home again Friday . More wind forecasted for the week .
Hope you get better weather on your whole stay .
We are in cabin 12 . Stop and say hi .

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard that too. I may decide last minute to make a trip to Goose Lake or Antelope instead.

- - - Updated - - -

First trip. Using a guide that also guides on Devils during the summer. Figured it was safer to go the guide route on our virgin trip there so in years to come we can go it alone safely.

You're not by chance going to visit Mitch are ya?

Griz

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just saw the modis imagery for here . It's solid mud .
If you don't have jigging rods with I would bring some .
Pick up some blade baits in Port Clinton before getting on the ferry.
It will take time to get good water for trolling again .

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're not by chance going to visit Mitch are ya?

Yup

- - - Updated - - -

I'm here right now . It's been real windy . Lots of muddy water .
Might get out tomorrow as wind is supposed to go down some.
You can always go to the reefs and jig even when muddy .
Use blade baits in the mud . 20" males all day long . We head
home again Friday . More wind forecasted for the week .
Hope you get better weather on your whole stay .
We are in cabin 12 . Stop and say hi .

Staying in town at a Holiday Inn. Hopefully the S and SW winds forecasted will clean up the water some.... It has until Thurs to clean up a bit. Fingers crossed.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well we were just North of Fargo and our guide called. Forecast changed pretty drastically. So we called an audible and are heading to Green Bay.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm more interested to see MPG from the baby Power Stroke on a long non-towing road trip.

So far, DL to WI border we are sitting at 25 3 with the cruise set at 7 over the posted limit the whole trip.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Aaron, there are some fellow Yar-Craft folks that guide in that area. Jay Couch is one that I know of for sure. Nice guy and you'd feel right home in his rigs. He delivered my last boat up this way. An Erie trip is always in the back of my mind, been thinking about doing one for about 3-years now but just haven't pulled the trigger. I'll be watching for your report! Also, I would be interested to hear some thoughts on your truck. I'm on my second 3.5 EB F150 and I've enjoyed both. The diesel intrigues me but I'm afraid I'll miss the acceleration and the pure hp/torque for towing with the little power-stroke. Probably run what I have one for year so I have time to think about it, lol.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Aaron, there are some fellow Yar-Craft folks that guide in that area. Jay Couch is one that I know of for sure. Nice guy and you'd feel right home in his rigs. He delivered my last boat up this way. An Erie trip is always in the back of my mind, been thinking about doing one for about 3-years now but just haven't pulled the trigger. I'll be watching for your report! Also, I would be interested to hear some thoughts on your truck. I'm on my second 3.5 EB F150 and I've enjoyed both. The diesel intrigues me but I'm afraid I'll miss the acceleration and the pure hp/torque for towing with the little power-stroke. Probably run what I have one for year so I have time to think about it, lol.

Fishing with Bob Claus (Yar 219) on green bay.

The 3.0 powerstroke is a little beast. A bit sluggish until you hit sport mode then she gets plenty lively. 450ish ft lb torque is enough for my needs and seems every bit as good as my old ecoboost. About 12k miles so far and other than a couple recalls i am happy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 153
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 77