Pelly airboat accident

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sad to hear. RIP.

Man you think you couldn’t get much safer than an airboat as long as the wind was down.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jim was a good friend and he used to rent our land. He would do anything for anybody. He will be missed by many that is for sure.
If memory serves me correctly he was a member of NDA. Can't remember his handle.
Rest in peace my friend!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ahh crap, we all love the outdoors but all too often we get reminders like this that there are dangers associated with our activities. Very sorry to hear this and my deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sad news and hits home.. Was notified of this last night as the 2 guys that swam to shore were both from my hometown; father and son who are both huge fishermen and outdoorsmen. RIP and condolences sent to all those involved.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sad news and hits home.. Was notified of this last night as the 2 guys that swam to shore were both from my hometown; father and son who are both huge fishermen and outdoorsmen. RIP and condolences sent to all those involved.

The father and son are good friends of mine. They don't make foolish decisions in the outdoors. Seems like this was truly an unfortunate accident. I know they could use some prayers at this time.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother was fishing with him recently. He told me earlier today. Very bad deal.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
A sad reminder that we all need to wear life vests all the time - even more critically, in the spring when the water is very cold.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Such a very sad thing to happen. Another instance of just how fickle life can be. Yesterday we were elated and happy for the guy with the new record fish. Today we mourn the loss of a fellow sportsmen. Life's ups and downs. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
So sad. Prayers and thoughts with the families. It doesn't only affect those whose loved one passes.....

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Very sad situation...thoughts and prayers go out to all the family and friends.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So this is a stupid question, but are airboats exempt from the level flotation requirement? E.g., can you actually sink one to the bottom of the lake?

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So this is a stupid question, but are airboats exempt from the level flotation requirement? E.g., can you actually sink one to the bottom of the lake?

I am not sure, but I saw a guy a couple years ago have one sitting on the bottom of 6 foot of water on the upper reaches of the Susitna River. He had what people here refer to as a "Florida" style air boat. Which is the typical boat you see on TV with the open front (basically a large jon boat) and guys sitting up high near the rear. Dude had a 4 wheeler and his whole hunting camp in the thing and swamped it. Most people up here do not run that style boat because of the heavy loads people need to get to their remote cabins and the fact that if a wave comes over the top, it's game over. What guys here refer to as the "Alaska" style boat is just a custom flat bottom armored aluminum with a closed hull and set up like an inboard and is operated from inside an enclosed cab. I would imagine that style would meet the flotation requirements. The guy I've hunted with in the past will drive his a couple hundred feet onto a gravel bar and load up moose. Pretty neat set up.

Maybe someone on here knows what kind of equipment is operated by the individual in the article. And to anyone on here that had any association with the deceased, my deepest condolences.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69