Garmin or Hummingbird

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fish exclusively small lakes with no mapping, and would like to start mapping these lakes. I am looking at the Helix 7 mega or equivalent Garmin 7" to map these lakes. So looking for input on either of these sonar units you might have used for creating your own maps. Really like the looks of the Hummingbird with auto-chart live. It is my understanding though that without a z-line card, I can not probably record more than one lake. Where as the Garmin just uses standard sd cards to map. Thoughts? Experience with either sonar?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I couldn't be happier with my Garmin. And I'm seeing more and more garmin units on new boats as of late.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
One benefit to the 'bird is that if you ever end up with a link trolling motor, the autochart live maps can be used to follow the contour and everything just like their regualr map cards.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have both a 93sv and hb solix's... if you are on a budget get the garmin, it does more for less and the capability to run livescope is huge, the garmin mapping is decent also and you do not need an additional card to get the mapping. only benefit of the HB is connecting to a trolling motor. TBH I wish I would have gotten 1 HB 9" to hook to my trolling motor and mapping and then used big garmins as my main fish finders

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66