Need to build an approach, suggestions?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased a few acres out of town last fall and need to build an approach to enter from a gravel road. Ditch is fairly steep so wondering what steps need to be taken to get this done. Want to keep it reasonably priced, but also built well enough to last. Can anyone with experience give some suggestion as to how to do this in an efficient/practical manner?

Any suggestions as to width and what materials to use? One page said you can get crushed rock mixed with clay that will compact well and not allow water to penetrate? Is something like that available in the Bismarck area?

How important is it to remove the top 6-10 inches of soil that is high in organic material? Necessary or can you just dump on top of it?

I will need a culvert to allow drainage, sounds like plastic/synthetic is better than metal...

Did a little searching and it seems like there are 100 different ways to do this, depending on location and materials available, etc.

Last edited:

Merickson1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a concrete culvert. It will last a hundred years. Plastic compresses.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
dont know if you need permits or not that would be something to look into. If you are just driving normal vehicles you can get away with a 10 or 12 foot approach then you can use one piece of i would use the metal culvert have to check if you need saftey ends on it or not. The right way would be to strip that black dirt but seen plenty built by not doing it just make sure your culvert drains the right way. I would guess some place up there has to have some type of recycled asphalt or concrete which might cost a list more but with last longer than regular gravel which i think is called class 5 up there.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Concrete is good but it's like the guy who wanted to sell me shingles with a 50-year warranty. I was 65 at the time. I went with the cheaper 30-year warranty. One thing I do know about culverts is that no matter the amount of water, you want at least an 18" diameter and preferably a 24". Smaller diameter will plug to easily. Width depends on what you will be bringing in the driveway. A single vehicle won't require as much width as a longer trailer or anything with a bigger turning radius. Material I would also think is dependent on the runoff and standing water. Some type of clay I'm guessing would be the best and then covered with gravel. Preventing standing water would be your biggest enemy.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lycan,
Just a thought, when I built my road I contacted the township first and had a discussion with them about the project. They can give you the answers to some questions about permits and the township rules to follow. I even got advice on things I hadn't thought about. It would be helpful to contact them and discuss. They furnished me with a culvert for my driveway. Just to CYA if nothing else.

Fish On!

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely contact the township first and see about permit requirements. They should be able to answer all your questions and or get you to people who can help.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
if there is a place where the gravel road crowns (hits peak elevation) you wouldn't need a culvert

#amateurengineer :cool:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind of vehicles are going to be using the approach?

Primarily passenger vehicles and small tractors. If I end up building there would be some heavy truck action, but it would be limited, not on a regular basis.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would just get a duel wall plastic culvert and have a farmer build it with a scraper. Depends on how much you want to spend if you do everything right it will cost a bit more. Lots of feild approaches and township roads have alot of black dirt in them. Will you be using the approach everyday or just once a week? If the later I wouldn't worry much about black dirt

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
id make the crossing 40 feet wide at the minimum

I was thinking 60ft wide, for when your mom comes to visit... :;:muahaha

- - - Updated - - -

For the first 2-5 years it will be occasional use, probably several visits a week. I do hope to build out there eventually and wouldnt want to have to rebuild the approach at that time.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
if there is a place where the gravel road crowns (hits peak elevation) you wouldn't need a culvert

#amateurengineer :cool:

Stupidly enough, I don't know that to be true in Burleigh. The last development I lived in had culverts at the crowns of the road. I even asked the owners why and they said it was "code".

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
make it wide enough for people to park and hunt your property, please...

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking forward to the responses as I am wanting to do this exact thing, likely this summer and in Burleigh County.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will also second the reference to the county road office because I do know they will give you the specs for improving a section line, in case you need to as a part of a driveway. So I have to imagine they will also have specs for an approach that ties into one of their roads.

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
When we used to build them i went 40' wide minimum and 60' was better and most farmers preferred that 60'. Also make sure you put a radius on each side of the approach by the road so big trucks or when pulling a trailer you have it wider by the road.
Use clay if possible and NEVER use a plastic culvert in the country as ditch fires will melt them and seen one burn itself all the way through. Fine if you never have nothing heavy or don't have to worry about fires. Country people burn their ditches in the fall quite often so grass or weeds won't block the snow and start a drift.
Go 24'' steel culvert but i agree to check with your township. When i was on the township board we furnished the culverts for people needing them in the township. If you have to buy one see if you can buy from them or the county as they usually can get them cheaper or at least that used to be in our area back in the day.
A good topping to put on top of the finished approach is the ground asphalt, get it leveled out real good and then pour the water to it and pack it down. That stuff will set up like concrete!
I always enjoyed building the approaches and it didn't take long if you can get access to good clay. Better to over build than having to do it again in the future.
Good luck!

Merickson1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just go with a concrete culvert.

Galvanized eventually rusts and folds in.

Plastic compresses. Plus there's things that happen in the country like prarie fires.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
When we used to build them i went 40' wide minimum and 60' was better and most farmers preferred that 60'. Also make sure you put a radius on each side of the approach by the road so big trucks or when pulling a trailer you have it wider by the road.
Use clay if possible and NEVER use a plastic culvert in the country as ditch fires will melt them and seen one burn itself all the way through. Fine if you never have nothing heavy or don't have to worry about fires. Country people burn their ditches in the fall quite often so grass or weeds won't block the snow and start a drift.
Go 24'' steel culvert but i agree to check with your township. When i was on the township board we furnished the culverts for people needing them in the township. If you have to buy one see if you can buy from them or the county as they usually can get them cheaper or at least that used to be in our area back in the day.
A good topping to put on top of the finished approach is the ground asphalt, get it leveled out real good and then pour the water to it and pack it down. That stuff will set up like concrete!
I always enjoyed building the approaches and it didn't take long if you can get access to good clay. Better to over build than having to do it again in the future.
Good luck!

I hadnt thought about fires... Good point! Where would one source good fill clay material?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75