Ticks

Skunked

I went out turkey hunting on Saturday morning for a few hours and picked off over a dozen ticks afterwards and continued to find 6 more in my hunting clothes tote this week. I had been out 3 times the week before with 0 ticks.

I've got a bad feeling that the ticks are thriving this year. I had a friend contract Lyme disease last year and it has scared the $h!t outta me. I've done a fair bit of reading on repellants/insecticides and decided to buy some permethrin to spray on my clothes that I'll be wearing in the woods and tall grass.

What is your favorite tick repellant and/or tick killer?

On a similar note, and I know this has been debated on here before, what is your preferred method of preventing/killing ticks on your dogs?

Any old wives' tales that have worked for you?

Last edited:

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took a couple daughters out Saturday for some shed hunting. We had no ticks, but the dog had 6 we later found checking her over. So they are out! I believe Frontline for dog, or something similar and prob deep woods off for us.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put a tick collar on every limb and realize ticks thrive every spring.. After picking over 40 of the rat bastards off while spring turkey decoying moons ago I realized I'd rather be shore fishing, chasing snows, or playing softball.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
permethrin is absolutely the most effective option for humans and clothing in my opinion.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dog was recently diagnosed with anaplasmosis which is similar to lymes and also from deer ticks. His vet recommended doing 2 treatments per month (one given at the first of the month one in the middle); one topical like a frontline and one edible like Nextgard. Hope it helps but has yet to be tried.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use deep woods OFF and it seems to keep them away pretty good. For the dogs I give them a generic drop for half the $ of what Frontline charges, and they seem to stay tick free for a month. I try to only give them 2 drops a year, sometimes 3, depending on how long of spring we have. Should get by with 2 this year, just gave it to them last Friday.

- - - Updated - - -

Put a tick collar on every limb and realize ticks thrive every spring.. After picking over 40 of the rat bastards off while spring turkey decoying moons ago I realized I'd rather be shore fishing, chasing snows, or playing softball.

BTW FWIW
I've never heard of a tick collar working.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Living where I do I was surprised to have waited until yesterday to pick up my first tick.

The dog got frontline applied yesterday as well.

Permethrin is a great way to keep the little buggers at bay, I'll spray my jeans if I'm working in the tall grass. I should just whip up a big batch and spray the damn grass where I'll be working.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So is there anything other than Deep Woods off that a guy could use to fend off those ticks? In the past I have heard of guys that use pet collars around the ankles, I've heard rubbing Bounce wipes on clothing, etc....

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pruned some trees this morning and picked 5 off me and one off the dog. Beard and longer hair is coming off this afternoon. Its Q-ball time.

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is 100% the reason why I gave up on spring turkey hunting. I walked through a wooded bottom last year and looked down to see hundreds crawling up my pant legs. Worst thing I have seen in my life. Things are absolutely good for nothing.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
they don't bother me - they used to something fierce when I was younger

but morel mushrooming exposed me to several trillion and now I'm cured

sure - I probably have numerous debilitating diseases - but I'm not creeped out by them at all anymore

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed. Actually a rare disease in ND... for now.

Reported Cases of Lyme Disease — United States, 2017

https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/datasurveillance/maps-recent.html

2017LymeCropped.jpg

Last edited:

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've used Sawyer Tick Spray on my clothes with good results. My tick season jeans will repell ticks for a couple months with one application. This year for the dog it will be a Seresto Tick Collar instead of Frontline. A few years back we were in the Turtle Mountains and picked up deer ticks there. I didn't know they were that far west.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75