1. Back To Top    #1
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,249
    Given: 4,329

Pierce County farmer loses hunting privileges for 2 years for illegally killing deer

PIERCE COUNTY, N.D. - A Pierce County farmer has been fined $2,800 and lost his hunting privileges for two years for illegally killing deer.
    Daryl Klein admitted to killing at least seven of them because he was frustrated that the deer were eating his grain.
    A game warden found nearly 20 carcasses around the farmstead south of Rugby in January 2017.
    Klein must also forfeit a rifle and scope to the North Dakota Game and Fish Department.

Should of lost his hunting privileges for the rest of his life.

6 Not allowed!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,169
    Given: 79
    Classifieds
    Quote Originally Posted by tikkalover View Post
    PIERCE COUNTY, N.D. - A Pierce County farmer has been fined $2,800 and lost his hunting privileges for two years for illegally killing deer.
    Daryl Klein admitted to killing at least seven of them because he was frustrated that the deer were eating his grain.
    A game warden found nearly 20 carcasses around the farmstead south of Rugby in January 2017.
    Klein must also forfeit a rifle and scope to the North Dakota Game and Fish Department.

Should of lost his hunting privileges for the rest of his life.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and theorize every acre of land Klein owns is posted up TIGHT. He ought to have been required to leave his land unposted with "Walk-In Welcome" signs for a decade.

13 Not allowed!
    When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Bronze Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 45
    You are correct Horsager... All posted up tight.... I do not feel sorry for this jackass.. and agree with everything you said.

2 Not allowed!

4. Back To Top    #4
    VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,426
    Given: 1,149
    That was the first thing I thought of. I’ll bet his land is posted up tighter than a frogs ass.

1 Not allowed!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,330
    Given: 2,753
    Classifieds
    Does anyone else find taking a hunting licence from someone who doesn't follow game laws anyway a bit ironic. Kind of like telling CRIMINALS we made a law that says you can't have guns. From what I see here, the only meaningful items are the 2800 bucks and the gun/scope. Again, a slap on the wrist IMO.

18 Not allowed!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,947
    Given: 1,989
    won't be any big deal for him

0 Not allowed!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,620
    Given: 723
    Anyone know if he was stockpiling grain on top of the ground, or if it was standing crop that he was "protecting"?

Just curious.

Also, why does this name sound familiar, have we heard of him before? Maybe something not poaching related...

0 Not allowed!
    "Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." Mark Twain, speaking on Congress.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,167
    Given: 2,358
    I think it was piles , You might remember the name from another thread on here when he first got busted.

http://nodakangler.com/forums/showth...ht=Daryl+Klein

2 Not allowed!
    Life is Good

9. Back To Top    #9
    Gold Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 141
    Given: 4,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Anyone know if he was stockpiling grain on top of the ground, or if it was standing crop that he was "protecting"?

Just curious.

Also, why does this name sound familiar, have we heard of him before? Maybe something not poaching related...
    I was told it was grain in bags. The deer were walking on and tearing holes in them to get to the grain. I was also told that one of the bags wasn't filled completely and left open which started to draw the deer in. Not fact, local gossip.

0 Not allowed!

10. Back To Top    #10
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 604
    Given: 2,197
    What a dick

2 Not allowed!

11. Back To Top    #11
    VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,076
    Given: 4,158
    Classifieds
    I was told by a guy yesterday about this and he said he heard that the guy has to turn in A RIFLE and SCOPE. Supposedly it wasn't specified what rifle or scope in the court precedings. So wouldn't surprise one if he turns in an old 22 with a toilet paper tube scope on it.

0 Not allowed!
    God, Family, Green Bay Packers!

Johnny 7

12. Back To Top    #12
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 411
    Given: 33
    I take it that grain on the ground meant that he had corn piles, when it's bagged deer don't really mess with it unless you leave one open. There has to be more to the story especially for such a weak fine. Chase down a coyote with a sled and see what happens to you, sled, gun, privileges gone and a fine for a mangy dog.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by USMCDI; 04-12-2018 at 08:45 AM.
    Where were you when I was digging out landmines?

13. Back To Top    #13
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,378
    Given: 9,233
    Classifieds
    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye_Chaser View Post
    What a dick
    ^^^^^^that

2 Not allowed!
    True freedom is not the ability to do whatever one wants or as one pleases without restraint, rather, true freedom is the ability to what one ought to do.

14. Back To Top    #14
    Ultimate VIP Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,007
    Given: 1,391
    Deer WILL destroy grain bags to get at what is inside. Neighbor lost about $30,000.00 in confectionary sunflowers a few years back during the winter in a remote field that he had bagged the crop in. By the time someone went by on a snow mobile and saw what had happened the deer had ripped open and walked over the top to the point what was inside had molded enough to be nonusable.

We just has a discussion awhile ago about the responsibility for damage in these situations. If it was my cows that got out and damaged someones grain bags, flower beds gardens ect.....I would be liable for damages because they are my property.

The question was/is since the state has passed legislation imposing a $ value of restitution when an animal is poached that is paid to the state........does that signify an "ownership" of these animals by the state and as such is the state then liable for the damage they do?

Curious from a legal standing.

0 Not allowed!
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." Aristotle

15. Back To Top    #15
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 335
    Given: 1,025
    Classifieds
    Just going to throw this out there if it was a pack of wolves eating his cattle every day nobody would have a problem if he shot them, but deer costing someone 30k in damages throw the book at him if they shoot a few

3 Not allowed!
    Every year has two seasons hunting season and fishing season

16. Back To Top    #16
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 433
    Given: 206
    Quote Originally Posted by gst View Post
    Deer WILL destroy grain bags to get at what is inside. Neighbor lost about $30,000.00 in confectionary sunflowers a few years back during the winter in a remote field that he had bagged the crop in. By the time someone went by on a snow mobile and saw what had happened the deer had ripped open and walked over the top to the point what was inside had molded enough to be nonusable.
    Maybe he shouldn't have bagged his crop in a remote field. Problem solved.

5 Not allowed!

17. Back To Top    #17
    Gold Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 146
    Given: 256
    You bag your crop in a field full of deer -- the deer will eat your crop. It's a pretty terrible argument for him to claim he should be compensated or be allowed to go above the law for a situation he created. If he didn't want deer on there he could be a decent landowner and advertise to get people on his land to shoot the deer.

This penalty is ridiculous. 2 year loss of privileges?! Hardly even a slap on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by gst View Post

We just has a discussion awhile ago about the responsibility for damage in these situations. If it was my cows that got out and damaged someones grain bags, flower beds gardens ect.....I would be liable for damages because they are my property.

The question was/is since the state has passed legislation imposing a $ value of restitution when an animal is poached that is paid to the state........does that signify an "ownership" of these animals by the state and as such is the state then liable for the damage they do?

Curious from a legal standing.

1 Not allowed!

18. Back To Top    #18
    Premium Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 703
    Given: 220
    If it had been my bag of grain, yes deer walking on top will punch holes, I would have called G&F to report. Don't know what the response would have been but at least the farmer would have had some defense in court. Taking the law into your own hands is rarely a good idea.

Not excusing his actions at all as I do understand when farmers suffer from game. Same issue when deer get into hay supplies. There are ways to keep the deer out other than shooting them all.

0 Not allowed!

19. Back To Top    #19
    VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 916
    Given: 196
    Classifieds
    To me the biggest question in these cases is always do they let people hunt or not? If they post everything and don't let anybody hunt and then complain about deer numbers, i have no sympathy. There are cases where its the farmers neighbors that post everything up tight and then in the winter they move into a neighboring farmyard and cause havoc. Either way there are better ways to handle it obviously, but i can understand getting frustrated.

IMO in cases where somebody posts everything and then shoots deer illegally because there are too many, they should be given two options. 1.) open all land up to hunting for the next 5 years, or 2.) Face large penalties for each deer they shot, like 10k per deer minimum.

4 Not allowed!

20. Back To Top    #20
    VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 813
    Given: 753

I look at this as a person who doesn't like hunting on his land and ended up getting burned because of it. There is alot of people on this site that would have helped him with that problem. maybe

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast