NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,048
    Given: 9,817
    Classifieds

Marijuana News Tidbits

Is your waiter stoned? Pot use highest among restaurant workers, study finds

CBS NEW - HEALTHDAY A new survey of workers in pot-friendly Colorado finds the food service industry is the most likely to have employees who use marijuana.
    The study used 2014-2015 survey data involving more than 10,000 adult workers from across Colorado, which is one of 29 states that have legalized marijuana for recreational and/or medicinal uses.
    Workers from various industries were asked if they'd used marijuana or hashish at least once over the past month. The study was led by Roberta Smith, of the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
    Overall, her team found that 14.6 percent of all workers said they'd used marijuana recently. However, the rate of pot use varied greatly by age and by job type.
    For example, nearly 30 percent of younger workers -- those between 18 and 25 -- answered "yes" to the marijuana-use question.
    But that number fell to just under 19 percent for people aged 26 to 34, and then dropped again to 11 percent for workers aged 35 and older.
    As for job types, "Food Preparation and Serving had the highest prevalence of current marijuana users," Smith's team said, with nearly a third admitting to using the drug.

Next came workers in the arts/entertainment/recreation category, where 27.5 percent said they'd used marijuana over the past month.
    Other fields of work had relatively few pot users. For example, about 10 percent of transportation workers said they'd recently used the drug, and about 6 percent of teachers and police said they had done so.
    Smith and her colleagues believe that rates of marijuana use in the food service industry or the arts/recreation field simply reflect the high proportion of young workers these industries attract.
    However, on-the-job use of any mind-altering substance can raise the risk of workplace mishaps and injuries.
    "Employers and safety professionals in states where marijuana use is legal have expressed concerns about potential increases in occupational injuries, such as on-the-job motor vehicle crashes, related to employee impairment," the researchers said.
    They believe certain moves by employers -- for example, pre-employment drug testing and tough workplace rules against drug use -- can help reduce the risk.
    Dr. Robert Glatter is an emergency department physician who's seen the tragic consequences of on-the-job drug use, especially when driving is involved.

"Marijuana use, whether long-term or sporadic, has the ability to slow reaction time, impair judgment of distance, and lead to drowsiness -- all which may adversely affect not only the driver and passengers' safety, but also that of pedestrians," said Glatter, who works at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City.
    If workers "do operate a motor vehicle as part of their work duties, extra caution is advisable, including random drug testing to potentially serve as a deterrent to marijuana usage," he said.
    One psychiatrist also wondered about the effect of pot use on another industry.
    "I also am concerned about the impact this may have in other professions, such as health care, which may have implications in patient safety and care," said Dr. Scott Krakower, who helps direct psychiatry at Zucker Hillside Hospital in Glen Oaks, N.Y.
    The findings were published April 13 in Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, a journal of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

- - - Updated - - -

I can’t believe it... shocking.

#sausagewaitersareahappybunch

3 Not allowed!
    True freedom is not the ability to do whatever one wants or as one pleases without restraint, rather, true freedom is the ability to what one ought to do.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,938
    Given: 1,190
    Classifieds
    Those numbers seem a bit low in a legal state. But, that's a good thing.

1 Not allowed!

3. Back To Top    #3
    VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 930
    Given: 1,714
    I believe it. I doubt if many of any restaurants have drug tests for waiters, etc

0 Not allowed!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,048
    Given: 9,817
    Classifieds
    I found this hilarious because the vast majority of stoners in the 70s worked in food/lodging. This is news?

0 Not allowed!
    True freedom is not the ability to do whatever one wants or as one pleases without restraint, rather, true freedom is the ability to what one ought to do.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Gold Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 31
    Classifieds
    I read this, but the study was done on a self reporting basis which is always fraught with difficulties and valid criticisms. There was no attempt to look at blood levels, even positive urine tests, definition of recent or frequency of use, or any attempt to correlate their finding with things the pundits all seemed to be worried about! Work accidents, good or bad employee, MJ use at work during breaks, inhaled or ingested or MJ cream application, etc. Or even compared to workers efficiency deemed to have still elevated blood alcohol levels from last nights beerfest or just hung over.
    Such a “study” though somewhat interesting and makes for good press, is fairly meaningless by itself, but opens up a lot of fertile territory for future research.
    It is interesting they found that “recreational” use seems to go down with age, though from living in a snowbird retirement community every winter for some years, I’d bet the medicinal usage would tend to rise with age, though I get the impression true valid medicinal use is rising in all ages. Its hard to separate the wide overlap of recreational from true medicinal usage.
    Their numbers do make interesting reading, but prove nothing pro or con from a medical or social standpoint.

- - - Updated - - -

The last two paragraphs are quotes from people expressing “concerns” about MJ usage, BUT, all the stuff they say, though correct, is 100% applicable to almost every cold medicine, herb, prescription medicine, alcohol, etc. (Check the labels on everything in your own medicine cabinets if you dont believe it). The only important question, as I see it, is simply: Is MJ as bad or worse than any or all of our already known and widely used drugs? Future research might give us the answer, but till then its mainly some degree of valid concerns, but mostly unsubstantiated opinions from both sides.

1 Not allowed!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Bronze Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 0
    Yesterday President Trump assured a Colorado Senator that he would not interfere with the state's control of Marijuana. Certain stocks took a nice jump.

2 Not allowed!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,371
    Given: 2,571
    Quote Originally Posted by campchef View Post
    Yesterday President Trump assured a Colorado Senator that he would not interfere with the state's control of Marijuana. Certain stocks took a nice jump.

I bet that statement made other states including ND that are up to their neck in red tape on this issue breathed a sigh of relief.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd still like to know where the Memo came from to raid the CBD from health food stores last summer.

0 Not allowed!
    Life is Good

8. Back To Top    #8
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,261
    Given: 2,142
    If feds deschedule it or step out completely it will start a snowball effect. Once federal funds are removed for prosecution and incarceration of stoners it will be amazing how quickly the states will change the perspective on criminalizing weed.

1 Not allowed!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,151
    Given: 4,698
    I worked a lot of food service jobs growing up and let me tell you... what where we talking about?

3 Not allowed!
    If you're reading this post and find yourself muttering, "he can't be serious", there's a good chance I'm not.

“Wentz won't win one much less 5 or six.” -Kurtr, 1/21/18

10. Back To Top    #10
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 619
    Given: 2,306
    Quote Originally Posted by bed wetter View Post
    i worked a lot of food service jobs growing up and let me tell you... What where we talking about?
    hahahah

0 Not allowed!

11. Back To Top    #11
    VIP Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 980
    Given: 1,300
    Must be both convenient and tough being around all that food.

3 Not allowed!

12. Back To Top    #12
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,151
    Given: 4,698
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakBuckeye View Post
    Must be both convenient and tough being around all that food.
    Actually, the places I worked weren’t too bad. Sure plenty smoked weed but not at work. I didn’t partake, wasn’t my thing. And that’s not something I cared to explain to my wife/girlfriend as she wouldn’t stand for maryjaywanna.

0 Not allowed!
    If you're reading this post and find yourself muttering, "he can't be serious", there's a good chance I'm not.

“Wentz won't win one much less 5 or six.” -Kurtr, 1/21/18