4th annual Hatchery Days

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just want to give a giant shout out and thank you to all involved in 4th annual hatchery days at the tailrace yesterday. What an awesome time it was for a family event. My kids absolutely had a blast, and its cool for adults to see the makings of where a good portion of our fish come from. Very well organized and well run event from multiple federal/state and county agencies. If youve never been to this event its a blast and is geared towards kids. Highly encourage those with kids to check it out next year. Only downside to the event was I must have missed the tank/ hatching area where they raise the lake trout to stock in Sakakawea... :icegif:

Honkerherms

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lake Trout? Hrmm, fishing for something Trip? There may be Lake Trout in Sakakwea, but I do not know when the last documented catch was. Just to refresh myself, and according to the fish stocking report on the GNF page, no Lake Trout have been stocked in the past 10 years in Sak. I do believe they did stock Lake Trout at some time in Sak.; however, I cannot remember the exact year(s) right off hand. It was always fun to go to the hatchery and see things in progress.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG959169.jpg

Honkerherms

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice Laker. Is that from this spring in the Tailrace? I wonder if they planted them in the Tailrace and what years. State record is was caught from the Tailrace back in 2012. But Sakakawea Lake Trout? I believe it was back in the 80's or maybe late 70's for Sakakawea when stocked. Fort Peck has a viable population.

Last edited:

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, it was this spring from the tailrace. I have no idea when they stocked them and where at. It would be cool to have some in sak!

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've caught 2, and both were during high flow years. They stocked sakakawea with them, but they never took. Sakakawea gets just a bit too warm for them, especially when the lake turns over. I assume ones that are caught wash down from ft peck during high flows.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hatchery days was great. It was very well organized, fun, and interesting for adults and kids alike. Also, couldn't have asked for nicer weather on Saturday. It was packed with visitors, which was nice to see since there was obviously a lot of planning put into it. Thanks to everyone involved. We will be back next year for sure.

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lake Trout forage base is Cisco. With primarily smelt I don't know if the survival rate is real high on Sak. I also heard they are an expensive endeavor.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
C’mon man, whats a guy gotta do to get some lakers in the big lake? Haha maybe the gnf could give us a little “taste” like trade out some surplus walskys with montana for say 5000 to put in Sakakawea. Just a teaser ya know.... they could even tag a bunch and pass it off as a “recapture study” to see if they may be viable again. Shit id back that game plan..... dammit guys I just want some Lakers in ND. :;:cheers

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66