Midco rate hike

dbllung

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody else tired of the rate hikes? Its ridiculous what they are charging and no end in sight. Thinking about dropping it all except high Speed Internet. I have heard some of the newer antennas are picking up a lot of channels nowdays, anyone have any experiences with them?

slippery

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kicked BEK to the curb in sept. just kept the high speed internet. The new antennas are excellent pick up all kind of local channels. We use SLING and amazon prime. Sling gets us all the hockey we can watch for $35, just have to have them and whatever sports package they gave us. Don't think I'll be going back any time soon.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep we have antennas in every room. it varies the one in the living room gets 25+ channels all the locals, all the BEK sports ( we dropped BEK onyl use there internet now) the bedroom one only gets maybe 12-13 channels but i haven't tried moving it dont watch a lot of TV in the bedroom could prolly find a better spot with better pick up. we do sling during football and march madness to get espn and espn 2, 3 for the bison I drop sling after march madness. we pay what 73 for internet and 10.99 for Netflix currently and that's all we need.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW we are NE of bismarck 8-9 miles so prolly get better reception in town IDK

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Our antenna gets about 15 channels. We actually had cable this last weekend at our air b and b and turned it on while our kid was napping. We ended up flipping through for 15 minutes to find something worth watching and eventually just watched the same old PBS show we have on our antenna at home.

Drop the cable and tame your internet way back and put that $150 a month towards hunting trips!

fishn4fun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dropped midco cable about two years ago and just kept the internet. I've tried sling, direct tv now, and just 2 days ago started philo to give it a try. Direct tv now was nice for awhile but they started raising rates, dropping channels, and had streaming issues. Kind of felt like cable all over again. As far as antennas go I get the best reception with an old pair of rca rabbit ears. I bought some of the "HD" ones and they just don't seem to work as well.

Grizzly Adams

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got rid of midco cable about 3 years ago. Still have their high speed internet and just watch Netflix and YouTube

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
We dropped Midco about a year ago and kept the broadband. Digital HD antenna in the attic with a Rocketfish amplifier hooked to it. Fed the antenna signal into the old cable lines and works awesome. We get about 15 channels in Bismarck. We went with DirecTV Now through a Roku stick and it works great. Still get way more channels than we need for $65/month.

Something to keep in mind when you drop cable is the capacity of your wireless router. Stop and think about all the devices that are using your router...phones, tablets, laptops, TVs, printers, gaming systems.....they add up quickly. My advice is to invest in a good unit. The money you save by not paying Midco $150 a month adds up and pays for the router pretty quick.

With the money we saved, I got the MLB.tv and MLB.tv packages and we still come out ahead. The other nice thing is when I'm on the road, I take a Roku stick with me and plug into the hotel TV, log in to hotel wifi and I have everything I have at home.

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I dropped Midco about 3 months ago. It was getting ridiculous. I was paying $257 for internet, cable and phone service. We never used our land line. I tried an indoor antennae where I'm at, but I couldn't pick up CBS or ABC. I then went to Menards and bought an outdoor antennae for 50 bucks and I now get 23 local channels over the air. We have Sling Blue which is 25 a month (we pay 15 extra for DVR, Outdoor channels, and Hallmark). We also have Netflix and Hulu. Wish I could drop Midco altogether, but there's no other high speed internet alternative in Bismarck.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kicked BEK to the curb in sept. just kept the high speed internet. The new antennas are excellent pick up all kind of local channels. We use SLING and amazon prime. Sling gets us all the hockey we can watch for $35, just have to have them and whatever sports package they gave us. Don't think I'll be going back any time soon.

what antenna did you use? mine sucks on windy days

dbllung

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the replies fellas! Lots of very useful info and now decision time.....

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
We use the ClearStream 4v and have had good luck with it. It's up in the attic over the garage and runs down to the cable connection. Just run it through there and it works good in every room. We've done this over 2 years and have no plans on going back to cable. We use sling and Netflix during the winter months and just over the air channels the rest if the time.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
We use the ClearStream 4v and have had good luck with it. It's up in the attic over the garage and runs down to the cable connection. Just run it through there and it works good in every room. We've done this over 2 years and have no plans on going back to cable. We use sling and Netflix during the winter months and just over the air channels the rest if the time.

thats exactly what I’m doing now - but the antenna is lame (it’s a big bastard too)

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Correction:. I now get 27 local channels over the air with my digital antennae that I bought at Menardios.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Funny how not one single person regrets getting rid of cable. I was a bit hesitant but I finally got rid of it and will never go back. Netflix is also crap IMO.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
midco my ass! What about everything else? Gas, water, groceries, phone, housing, property taxes....good damn, let a guy get ahead for a minute. Only thing going down in price is electronics made in China. Ok cool, I can buy a 60" flat screen for the price of a black n white 13" in the 80s

- - - Updated - - -

Netflix is stupid.

Yeah, uh, I'm not political, but, is it just me, or is Netflix run by a super liberal, foreign, potsmoking, illegal alien, Peta tree hugger, who's hobbies are cooking and having abortions? Or did I just watch a show that triggered an algorithm that thinks that's all I wanna watch.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
No cable for us. Just an antenna in the basement that feeds the whole house. We’re south of Bismarck near the tv towers by huff so I assume that’s why I can have it in the basement. We just use the hotspot on our phones for internet when we need to. No sling or anything like that. Don’t spend much time watching tv.

Talking to to some other folks around town about antennas, most of the folks I know have had better luck buying them from Best Buy rather than menards.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75