Ice Maker

HammsRMK

Honored Member
I know its the wrong time of year to buy an ice maker, but I have been thinking about it for a while now. I did watch some videos on Youtube and read a few reviews on different ones. Do any of you use them and do they actually work for what you need them to. I was thinking if I run them Wednesday and Thursday at night I could have enough ice for coolers for the weekend. We usually buy 3-4 bags so that $10 at the gas station. I know there is lots of them out there just wondering if anyone on here has experiences good or bad with them.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a NEWAIR brand sold by Walmart. Think I gave less than a 100 bucks for it. Been going strong for the past year and a half. We go through a lot of ice because the wife had a bout with cancer years ago and it left her with no saliva glands, so she uses a lot fo ice to keep her mouth from being to dry. I think it will make 30 to 35 lbs a day. If just for cooler ice regular tap water is ok but for drinks you might want to use distilled water if you want clear ice. It is a little noisy when it is dumping cubes so we hve ours in laundry room. It does make 3 diffrent sizes of cubes. Had an igloo before this one and it lasted about 2 years before quiting. Still cheaper than buying ice.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an igloo brand I use in the camper. I use it just for drinks and not for a cooler. It keeps me supplied.for drinks but if you want to use it for the cooler you will need to babysit it and dump the try regularly

HammsRMK

Honored Member
NO it does not! My last name is Hammer and I ran RMK snowmobiles for a while.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought a counter top ice maker (forget what brand it is) about 5 years ago and it's worked great and made a ton of ice but it's starting to take longer to make a tray full now. Has a small tray so you'd have to dump it about 50 times to fill a cooler. It'll shut off once the trays full so you won't be able to run it at night without dumping it.

HammsRMK

Honored Member
Thanks for the info guys. I dont care how much it makes just that it will last few years. Im just thinking i can make ice and put it in the freezer instead of getting it every friday before i leave town.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I freeze water balloons for cooler ice they work great buy the party size fill them softball size they freeze over night and last allot longer then cubes

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Freeze water bottles with drinking water put in cooler when melted drink the water

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make a deal with your local bar owner for a couple bucks and fill your coolers the night before with bar ice. We do it every year for paddle drinking and we have ice left over after keeping everything cool and using it for drinks for 3 days. Just a thought.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clean out milk jugs and fill them and freeze. I bust them open tho. Gives it a colder effect. Im gonna try the balloon trick next

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have run a table top ice maker in my camper for 5 years now. If I babysit it, I can get about 30lbs of ice bagged and frozen, but for the most part it’s to keep my mixed drinks iced down throughout the day

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66