new to boat fishing

cavdraco

Hi all been following NDA on facebook for a while and decided to jump in and visit the web page, I'm a lifetime resident of Williston, just bought a tracker since the corps has fenced off most of the lake around here. I'm planning on fishing out of Lewis & Clark state park any advice would be welcome.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
Remember to put the plug in. Get your boat started before pushing it off of a trailer. Don't forget beer or sunscreen.

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some people like to have a good set of binoculars in the boat, especially at Van Hook. FYI

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
download.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Never launch your boat at a public ramp on weekends unless you have a thick skin or can launch in under 10 seconds.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Welcome!! Best advice I can give to a new boat owner is to take a case of beer, sit by a popular landing, and learn what NOT to do at the landing for a weekend. Then, practice backing up your boat at a "Lonely" location so you can do it almost blindfolded. After that, it's pretty much all just "On the Water" time to figure out your own boat and how you like to do business. Good Luck!!

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
These guys are right, nobody likes someone stuck on the ramp looking confused. Get a pair of ear muffs and make sure the boat runs first. Be proficient at backing up. Experienced boaters come in all ranges of patience, especially people wanting to fish. My advice, if you are very new, is to take it to a lake on a weeknight that doesn't get busy. Work out your "standard operating procedures" for launch and recovery and follow all of the other advice above.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
We took a four man limit in 2.5 hours yesterday. We fished straight out from the campground on the east side of the links of ND golf course. We worked back and forth from 14-20’ of water. Half a crawler in either a straight Lindy or a slow death hook lindy. I was trolling between .8 and 1.1 mph. We caught one about every 8-10 minutes. They bit steady that whole time. DA78BA6B-6604-4582-9D2B-C5199D562044.jpg

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was once in your shoes. Always heard the horror stories about people getting in fistfights at the landing. I was nervous about pissing someone off but it took me a half doz. times of loading and unloading to realize I have just as much right to be there and use the ramp as everyone else. You will get a system down and be a pro at it in no time..good luck

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't unhook the front strap till you hit the water or you will have a bad day.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
The worst time I can recall as a first time launcher and loader of a boat was loading in the current in the river. Ultimately had the trailer a little too far in the water. Gave it about 6 tries and the boat kept floating away down current with the bow up on the front rollers. Pulled the trailer out a little bit and no problem. Went and bought some boat guides, roller style; that'll fix that i figured. Don't need 'em if you back the trailer in just right. Took 'em off and sold 'em. One lesson learned for a first time boat buyer. Of course loading in a lake, no wind no current easy peasy. Another big piece of advice is get as efficient as possible at the launch so you are not holding anyone else up. People can get excited. OR if you are not quite good enough at it yet, wave the guy behind you to go ahead of you.

I fished a bunch all by myself and would let those with two or more in the boat go ahead of me. Funny! In most cases I could load/unload as fast as most. Just took me a little extra time to get the rig down to the landing. good luck and good fishing

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its funny how we don't get too worked up waiting in line at a ...tackle/bait shop or walmart or gas station or drive thru or getting into a ball game or you name it...but the second someone at the ramp takes longer than the launch kings demand, the niceties of being a fellow fisherperson disappear. Kinda sad us fisherpersons are our own worst enemy.

cavdraco

ok I'm new to boat fishing not to boating and I'm a truck driver by trade so I know how to back a trailer not to mention a farm kid its the fishing side I can use advice on

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its funny how we don't get too worked up waiting in line at a ...tackle/bait shop or walmart or gas station or drive thru or getting into a ball game or you name it...but the second someone at the ramp takes longer than the launch kings demand, the niceties of being a fellow fisherperson disappear. Kinda sad us fisherpersons are our own worst enemy.

3 Roosters, you nailed it. I have seen this in my own self, at times. I don't mind waiting 4 minutes to pay for gas and another couple minutes at a light. But if I have to wait for 6 minutes within sight of the water, I start to lose my mind.

I wader-fish a lot, and my favorite spot is within 15 minutes of my house. I actually put my waders on at home, because if I'm getting dressed at the spot, and someone arrives after me, but gets ready faster, 11 times out of 10, he goes to fish exactly where I had wanted to..

I think, it's being within spitting distance of the water, that makes us crazy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77