Leaving Drain Plug out until you're at the Ramp

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How many think this is a stupid law? I wonder how many people forget to put them back in when they get there. Isn't the Game and Fish getting a little anal about this ANS?

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pull it leaving the ramp and it’s the first thing I put in when I launch, just got use to it I guess

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it really that hard to take the plug out or put it back in. Most people have to take the transom saver and straps off the boat at the launch anyway. I have always taken my plug out. I really dont need water sitting in the bottom of my boat for a week.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
My two cents it seems like one of the few solutions that is not only easy but has a reasonable chance of making at least some bit of difference. As such I'm all for it.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same, remove a strap, trim motor and remove transom saver, install plug and then remove second strap and put in pickup, turn around and remove safety strap then disengage winch, pull off a little slack and re-engage. Do it the same everytime. It's like I turn into "Rainman" for that 5 minute period.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
My q how far away can I pull the plug or does on need to stop on the ramp. MN said to me I need to stop as soon as I am out of the water on the ramp. I can inspect after I drive up but they want the plug out. The guy was like reach over.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just buy a ranger it is easy then it’s a switch on the back

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Your right there, make it a habit and its not that hard to do. I am a forgetful old dog so if I can do it everyone can.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
B3CD2884-29DB-4373-981A-3B51CC5E79C4.jpg
it is even less of a hassle if you tether your plug where it’s perpetually handy

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many think this is a stupid law? I wonder how many people forget to put them back in when they get there. Isn't the Game and Fish getting a little anal about this ANS?

Wyoming's efforts at minimizing ANS for comparison:

[FONT=&quot]There are several regulations in place to protect Wyoming’s resources. All boaters should be aware of these regulations. Any watercraft transported into Wyoming from March 1 through November 30 must undergo a mandatory inspection by an authorized inspector prior to launching. Any watercraft that has been in a water infested with zebra/quagga mussels within the last 30 days, is required to undergo a mandatory inspection by an authorized inspector prior to launching during ALL months of the year. All watercraft must stop at any open watercraft check station on their route of travel, even if not intending to launch in Wyoming.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Any person transporting a watercraft who did not encounter a mandatory aquatic invasive species check station prior to reaching a water of the state may launch without further inspection if the watercraft has a properly affixed seal applied by an authorized inspector and is accompanied by a valid seal receipt during transit. The person transporting the watercraft may remove the seal immediately prior to launching on the destination water and must retain the seal and valid seal receipt while on the water.[/FONT]

I wish that ND G&F was as thorough and actively engaged as WY G&F is.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Older Rangers are a pain in the ass..

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was doing this before ANS became a thing. I looked at it as a boat maintenance issue, not a regulatory issue. Having water in the bottom of the boat led to a whole host of issues from floor decay and other mechanical problems to just plain stink due to molds and fungus growing in the high humidity environment. It just became habit for me to pull the plug after a day on the water.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My plug is feathered to the hole I then hook to a bungee that is on the transom saver. Have to un hook it everytime I take off saver. Not a big deal for me.20190601_080130.jpg

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
My plug is feathered to the hole I then hook to a bungee that is on the transom saver. Have to un hook it everytime I take off saver. Not a big deal for me.9258B7DA-ACC2-4AFD-A6E6-CE93D175C0BA.jpg
Man there's a whole lot of potential dirty jokes in that particular setup!;:;boozer

Last edited:

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member

Good grief.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85