ND Kayak fishing buddies?

Seaghost

Sold my boat several years ago, now finally picked up a fishing kayak and enjoying the simplicity. Any other kayak fisherman on this site?

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, Got mine three years ago. Before you rig it go out and flip it to see how to get back on. Then tie everything off. What waters are you thinking of fishing? What part of the state are you in seaghost?

Seaghost

Sticking to smaller waters for the time being— Based out of Williston. I have been out on it a few times getting used to it. I have a trip to Lake Metigoshe over the 4th getting it all rigged up before then.

Discovered that some call kayakers bobble heads and do their best to try to wake you over on their jetski’s .

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm down to just my kayak as well, I like it and hope to get out more this year. Yep it's the people in boats and skis that are the biggest worry, not that they don't have every right to be there also but just like any other situation where you have the least protection against someone not paying attention. It's a circus in the west end both on land and water, honestly I'm a big fan of weekday fishing, it's not a big relief any more but it helps a bit.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There are rules about how close one boat is supposed to to to another. Don't remember the exact numbers but it is far enough away that the wake of a jet-ski should not capsize a kayak. Wake boats might be another story but the rules are the same. What works better than rules is common sense but that seems to go away when someone is on a toy.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a few cheap kayaks and i do enjoy fishing from one. Not even really setup for fishing other than a rod holder. It takes fishing to a different level

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There are rules about how close one boat is supposed to to to another. Don't remember the exact numbers but it is far enough away that the wake of a jet-ski should not capsize a kayak. Wake boats might be another story but the rules are the same. What works better than rules is common sense but that seems to go away when someone is on a toy.
Those rules don’t apply at metigoshe or at least everyone has failed to inform themselves on that law......

Kayak fishing is a fun challenge. It makes a guy try out some bays and shorelines most boat fishermen don’t try out. Netting nice walleye one handed out of the yak doesn’t get old!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fully understand the problems with the rules as some lakes are very busy with watercraft and not much room. A prime example is the Missouri River, especially in the Bismarck area. The river isn't wide enough in some areas to follow the rules. That is why common sense is better but as I mentioned, there are individuals who lack this in even greater terms.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Um, did you say "fishingbuddy"?

In all seriousness, I've wanted a fishing kayak for awhile. I keep waiting for that "deal" to come along that I can't resist. Good on you!

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Usually I just anchor it past the weed line and cast. It is simple and quiet.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got the wife a 10.5 ft Tamrack this year...ordered more scupper plugs only came with 2...but has 6 holes in the bottom? Whenever I'm out on the boat and come up on kayaks or canoes I always pass them at idle speed...I fished out of a jon boat years ago.

ND 41 Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sold my fishing boat about 4 years ago and got a fishing kayak. I pretty much only fished the smaller lakes to get away from people. Don't miss the boat at all plus i get some exercise and peace and quite.

Nmariner

Established Member
they have fishing kayaks that you can stand up or sit in. If you are just looking to sit I would assume any of them would be very stable sitting. If you are looking to stand and cast Im not sure which one of the standups are best.

Seaghost

Hardest thing about picking out a kayak in ND is there are no shops where you can demo them — I got a vibe seaghost 130 and built outriggers as I am a bigger guy and it was a little bit tippy in the high seat position— now I bet I can stand in it if I wanted. I wish I could have tested a bonafide ss127 as everyone says they are stable but for another $500 I wasn’t gonna take the chance.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
A40CC4D6-31A6-43BD-9564-EAA14205746B.jpg

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If I see a Kayaker getting Waked or harassed by a jet ski or boat I'am calling 911, let the Kayaker's have their fun to, but with that my Son Kayak's on the Red in Fargo and fish's the smaller lakes, Brewer Lake is one of them and then some in Minn.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Caught this guy out of the kayak on Sak today.
2fca24e2-3087-467e-89e7-d7dbaf4a3022

- - - Updated - - -

Dang!

- - - Updated - - -

b7ae964d-de8e-44fa-b2f6-5477e68e3a20

- - - Updated - - -

I give up!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133