Did Oahe Winterkill??

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Holy Sheepshit half the residents of the state of South Dakota are on the west end of Sakakawea this weekend. Oh and Wyoming, Nebraska and Montana.

Last edited:

dragoneyes

Honored Member
They been fishing there for awhile years only going to get worse. Great fishing is not a secret spreads like wild fire. Do you really believe if there up here for weeks at a time they respect the take home limit which i believe is 10 per person when they return home . Coolers full of walleyes leaving the state. Kind of curious if the wardens are up there checking or if its a free for all take as many as you can catch.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They been fishing there for awhile years only going to get worse. Great fishing is not a secret spreads like wild fire. Do you really believe if there up here for weeks at a time they respect the take home limit which i believe is 10 per person when they return home . Coolers full of walleyes leaving the state. Kind of curious if the wardens are up there checking or if its a free for all take as many as you can catch.

I know they have been coming for years but not at this level. The game wardens are writing plenty of overlimits. I have fished the west end for 4 decades and never seen pressure like this. I grew up in the area and seen the boom and bust. It is not hurting the population but is a pain in the ass when you catch a few fish and 10 boats come out of nowhere and churn the water around your boat. I prefer to fish away from other boats but don't mind when folks are polite as they have just as much right to be there as I do.

Last edited:

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
I REALLY miss the good old days! If I couldn't fish in the middle of the week, I would probably quit fishing. That says a lot because I love to fish!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Even the middle of the week does'nt work sometimes. When fishing is good at your small lake keep your mouth shut or you will have 40 boats waiting to follow you.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish they'd start advertising Sak over in WI and get them sonsabitches to drive past Devils Lake.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish they'd start advertising Sak over in WI and get them sonsabitches to drive past Devils Lake.
They already are. On an unrelated related note heard lake sharpe has zebras now? Wonder how they got there?

- - - Updated - - -

They already are. On an unrelated related note heard lake sharpe has zebras now? Wonder how they got there? They already are. On an unrelated related note....heard lake sharpe has zebras now? Wonder how they got there? Question...... if everybody is having a good time and somebody decides to make a buck or seven billion and brings in more everybodys does everybody still have a good time?...... everybody seems to be doing fine.... its somebody who fucks it all up.....

- - - Updated - - -

Wow sorry guys no idea how i tripled myself

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well when pics of 5 pounders getting sawed up are all over the internet it is going to happen. Parking lots here are packed every weekend but finding a spot to fish with out people isn’t that hard. I thought sak was a big lake like Oahe .

i haven’t heard about zebras in sharpe but wouldn’t surprise me with the way birds fly around in the air from different places and stuff

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member

The Sconers are too cheap to drive to Sak as it would cost them another $20 apiece as there is 6 goons in each truck. They like the Lehr area so many lakes to rape and pillage and cheap lodging. Their chances of getting caught are slimmer in the Lehr area as they hit multiple lakes a day.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find that if a spot requires leather personnel carriers to get to, there are usually no other fishermen there when I arrive, rarely does anyone else show up during my time there, and when I leave I'm also very much without company 95 times out of 100. So, in essence, the boats are the real problem as I see it. Get rid of your boats fellas, and all these frustrations will disappear. (Grin)

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I talked to a guy on van hook yesterday that pulled his boat all the way from AZ. He said it was well worth the pull. Ha

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oahe was the same when it was really good in the 2006 to 2014 ish era. The Mobridge ramps were filled with plates of all states, including a ton of ND ones. Ever been parked at the top of the hill at Bush's Landing north of Pierre, about 150th in line to the ramp? Point being quality fisheries attract fisherman. Oahe has slowed down for sure in terms of pressure but there are still lots fishing. Right now Sak is a very high quality fishery, arguably as good as it gets in a many state area. Peck is a crapshow to get to and the wind is brutal. Oahe the fish quality is much lower than in the past. So folks are heading your way. Going to be like that for a bit still, Oahe is on the edge of getting good again but it still needs a few years. Over limits are easily characterized to non-residents, but honestly who has more ecological impact? The guys who fish three days, take 10 home and eat 5, or the residents who fish 10 weekends a year? I can say I take way more fish from my local body of water in a year than I do with a 3 day on Sak. Regardless, lots of fish going home in buckets on the big lake. Wonder what the impact is?

Far as zebra mussels, Lake Sharpe is a huge deal. Most likely they came from another infested state via NR boat OR they came from Lewis & Clark as it is infected. Either way, Francis Case is downstream and surely is infected. Not to mention all the boats that go through both lakes. Francis Case will be a disaster for lots of places as so many people travel early season to fish there, then go home to their usual lakes. Lots of boats go between Oahe and Sharpe too, so I am guessing that will happen quick too. Bad, bad deal.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have heard KDM use that line before but still had to read it 2 or 3 times before it sank in, not enough coffee yet.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74