Kuiu

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw a couple threads on this gear but they were 2-3 years old. Thinking of getting a couple new base layers; is this stuff worth the money? Any pieces in particular you've found good? Other brand recommendations welcome as well...

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have several brands for base layers because I really haven’t found one merino wool to be better than another in my experience. But I use a lot of their other stuff and really enjoy it. A standard for early season elk for me is a Guide Jacket and Attack pant. Super Down vest and Chugach rain set in the pack.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I really like all the kuiu clothes I have. I like the Merino wool base layers and shirts as I don't seem to sweat with them. The attack and Tiburon pants are awesome. I have outfitter jacket and another jacket with no good all good. Their clothing all breathes good. It is not made for cold weather stand hunting though.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So I’m a few drinks in I just perused their outlet section and now I have a $350 shopping cart. Gonna go ahead and put to the phone down to sober up before I click buy. Check in on it again tomorrow me thinks.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have the Kuiu gaiters and would not be without them for cold weather/snow.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Their gear is really good stuff but as Wildyote said, it isn't for stand hunting or really cold weather. It is definitely meant to be worn as a layering system for a western hunter that is moving a lot and then sitting/glassing. I like the Kuiu stuff I have but I always buy it on sale and it's still a bit pricey. First Lite has some awesome clothing and I'd highly recommend their puffy jacket. Would like their puffy pants too. I think they have the best merino base layers as well.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I forgot is the Kuiu zip off bottoms are awesome! Really like the gaiters as well.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love my first light merino base layers. I also have the attack and guide pants along with the guide jacket. UPS just stopped by the house with a set of expedition gloves and long and short sleeve shirts. And a new 3600 pack.

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I’m a few drinks in I just perused their outlet section and now I have a $350 shopping cart. Gonna go ahead and put to the phone down to sober up before I click buy. Check in on it again tomorrow me thinks.

I did that about a month ago with First Lite, except I hit buy. Damn booze shoppin!!

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
"worth the money" is relevant to your use. For whitetail hunting, bird hunting, or anything where you are just sitting there; no. Same if you are going back to a warm house where you can dry everything out every night or if you are hunting somewhere that if you get a little wet and cold you can get out easily. Just go buy cotton long johns from wal mart and save yourself a ton a money. But if you just like the feel of merino in every day life and on hunting trips and you got the money, then go for it.

For extended backpack trips, yes it's absolutely worth the money. Dries quick, it's light, and it can take an alder beating. My favorite item that I think only they make is the 3/4 base layer pant with the side-zip. They are zip off which is awesome because I alway start the day cold. After a mile you can easily zip them off and put them back on quickly if you're stopped glassing. I used to just keep wearing base layers and sweating them out because I didn't want to stop and then everything would be drenched.

I no longer do any trip without a set of puffy pant/jacket. MVP every trip. But those can be bought cheaper at several mountaineering places. Just make sure the bottoms side-zip off and decide if you need down or synthetic based on your typical hunt conditions. They have solid rain gear that is with the best of them if you are hunting that kind of terrain and that kind of hunt. But again, unless I'm doing a goat or sheep hunt where weight is extremely important, I just run Helley Hansen. Nothing else of theirs really sticks out as the best in class. I'll take a FjallRaven pant, OR Gaiter, Black Ovis upper base, and Sitka hoodie before Kuiu. All but the hoodie are a better price.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have quite a bit of Kuiu for my west hunts but for base layers I run the Black Ovis. They are way less expensive and the quality is amazing!

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
Kuiu base layers are good but nothing special in my opinion. I really like the guide jacket but have switched to Firstlite for most things.

nybs

Honored Member
No experience w base layers from Kuiu. Have Chugach rain set that is nice. Excellent customer service.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been nothing but pleased with all of my Kuiu gear. Loved the merino base layers before they got ruined in storage while moving, damn mice.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got some of everything and other than the durability of firstlite it has all performed. The Sitka timberline pants and fanatic hoody or core heavy weight if I am watching weight are the three pieces I live in

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had to go to a wedding a couple of weeks ago bought a pair of revolver pants and a shirt, wife said I looked nice

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75