White Stone Like Things Puked up by Walleyes

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody know what these are? I have found quite a few of these in the live well and on the floor of the boat lately. The walleyes are also puking up a lot of crayfish parts. These stone like things resemble the kids' baby teeth when they fell out.

Are they crayfish assholes?

Attachments

Walleye Puke.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
puka shells

- - - Updated - - -

crayfish assholes is AWESOME btw

- - - Updated - - -

otoliths of a prey fish?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are actual rocks I bet. When a walleye eats a minnow or crawfish off the bottom, the prey and everything around them gets sucked into the mouth and swallowed in the blink of an eye. Whatever is around them is swallowed as well. I've seen some pretty big clouds of silt, mud, sand, and other stuff get blasted out the gills of bass, walleyes, and pike in underwater footage when they take a bait.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody know what these are? I have found quite a few of these in the live well and on the floor of the boat lately. The walleyes are also puking up a lot of crayfish parts. These stone like things resemble the kids' baby teeth when they fell out.

Are they crayfish assholes?

We don't know either, but it's no reason to call us assholes.

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are actual rocks I bet. When a walleye eats a minnow or crawfish off the bottom, the prey and everything around them gets sucked into the mouth and swallowed in the blink of an eye. Whatever is around them is swallowed as well. I've seen some pretty big clouds of silt, mud, sand, and other stuff get blasted out the gills of bass, walleyes, and pike in underwater footage when they take a bait.

I just don't think they are rocks. They all are similar in shape and have that decayed tooth looking spot in them.

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
some non-fuzzy pics would be great

I figured I would get admonished for my picture quality. I took exactly one picture and didn't look at it close enough until I got it home this morning. Of course, I didn't bring them home with me so I can't take more until the weekend.

I asked one of the retired guys that fishes a lot if he knew what they were. He didn't know, but he had found them also. A few years ago, he took them to the DNR fisheries biologist in Bemidji and left his question about them and a phone number. He never got a response.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
53sro97gvpa21.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

[h=1]Cass[/h][FONT=&quot]ID: 04003000
County: Beltrami
Near: Cass Lake
Border Water: No
Sentinel Lake: No
[h=4]Size and Depth[/h]Area: 15958.32 acres
Littoral Area: 3119 acres
Shore Length: 45.38 miles
Maximum Depth: 120 feet
Fish Species: black bullhead, black crappie, bluegill, brown bullhead, bullheads, burbot, green sunfish, hybrid sunfish, lake whitefish, largemouth bass, muskellunge, northern pike, pumpkinseed, rock bass, sunfish, tiger muskellunge, tullibee (cisco), walleye, yellow bullhead, yellow perch, bowfin (dogfish), greater redhorse, redhorse, shorthead redhorse, white sucker, banded killifish, bigmouth shiner, blacknose shiner, bluntnose minnow, brassy minnow, brook stickleback, common shiner, fathead minnow, golden shiner, Iowa darter, Johnny darter, logperch, mimic shiner, mottled sculpin, ninespine stickleback, spottail shiner, tadpole madtom, trout-perch

[/FONT]

- - - Updated - - -

drum aren't listed... hmmmm

MSA, any other mollusk feeders seem like likely candidates to have these little molar-like teeth?

- - - Updated - - -

of course... the shellcrackers (red ear sunfish)?

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cass is awesome.

I enjoy it a lot. It produces a lot of fish and there are something like 10 lakes you can get to without trailering.

I caught my biggest fish ever and first muskie a week ago. I was trolling a crank bait, caught a walleye, and the muskie hit the walleye. I was pretty lucky to land it. She had the walleye by the head end so the hooks were in her mouth. Eventually, I saw the walleye float away and the hooks were still buried in her mouth. It took me forty minutes, but she tired out and slid up along the boat. I grabbed her by the tail with my right hand, set my rod down and scooped her up and into the boat with my left hand under her belly. I hadn't really been planning on fishing so I didn't have my landing net with me or a fishing partner other than my dog.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75